Major 2015 Pirates of the Caribbean Refurbishment Watch/Rumor.

lazyboy97o

Were the pirates intended to be goofy/cartoony? I was always under the impression that they were going for realism, but the technology of the time only allowed for what they ended up looking like. The amount of detail seems like they tried to be sort of realistic, at least. The dirty foot/hair leg at the end comes to mind. I'm no expert though haha.
To add to what @MerlinTheGoat said, the caricatured faces are easier to read under the show lighting conditions that are darker than normal lighting or stage lighting.

lazyboy97o

My first time in Disney World was the year after it opened. I have only been there 3 times since then, the last time 16 years ago. At that time, my kids were introduced to POTC and it has always been one of my favorite rides. I will be going back in June, with my kids and now their kids, and am very disappointed in some of the comments in this thread about closing POC....very cavalier. There are many that are very fortunate in that they get to visit DW many times....others are not so lucky. If the ride is closed for six months leading up to Christmas, no problem as they will just hit it next time. This may be my last trip, and I want to see my grandkids enjoy it! If the ride needs repairs, then they should start in January when crowds are lower as not too many people take vacations then....at least not as many that vacation during the prime spring/summer months. To me, even a "bad worn down" POC ride beats not having one to enjoy at all. So please be a little more sensitive for us who can't visit several times year, or even every couple of years.
That more sensitive approach of just keeping things going killed two people at Disneyland.

Goofyernmost

My first time in Disney World was the year after it opened. I have only been there 3 times since then, the last time 16 years ago. At that time, my kids were introduced to POTC and it has always been one of my favorite rides. I will be going back in June, with my kids and now their kids, and am very disappointed in some of the comments in this thread about closing POC....very cavalier. There are many that are very fortunate in that they get to visit DW many times....others are not so lucky. If the ride is closed for six months leading up to Christmas, no problem as they will just hit it next time. This may be my last trip, and I want to see my grandkids enjoy it! If the ride needs repairs, then they should start in January when crowds are lower as not too many people take vacations then....at least not as many that vacation during the prime spring/summer months. To me, even a "bad worn down" POC ride beats not having one to enjoy at all. So please be a little more sensitive for us who can't visit several times year, or even every couple of years.
Reports indicate that they cannot wait that long. It is already on life support and slipping fast. It needs care, and it needs it immediately. Sorry, about your disappointment sometimes things just don't work out the way we wanted it too. For example, I wanted to be born rich, but, apparently my parents were slackers.

SDisney90

Reports indicate that they cannot wait that long. It is already on life support and slipping fast. It needs care, and it needs it immediately. Sorry, about your disappointment sometimes things just don't work out the way we wanted it too. For example, I wanted to be born rich, but, apparently my parents were slackers.
Couldn't have said it any better myself..It happens it's life, I'd rather have it down ASAP and repaired before anything else goes wrong and it just becomes disco pirates..

BIlder

That more sensitive approach of just keeping things going killed two people at Disneyland.

I don't know what happened at DL, but if a ride is dangerous, it should be closed and repaired immediately. Don't believe that is the case here, and not what people are talking about.

lazyboy97o

I don't know what happened at DL, but if a ride is dangerous, it should be closed and repaired immediately. Don't believe that is the case here, and not what people are talking about.
Rides become dangerous because they are patched up instead of being periodically closed when it would "ruin" vacations. This thread is full of discussion regarding how the ride is not operating well.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
The designs of the pirates should remain the same. Jack is an intrusion to the style, the entire ride should not have to change to cater towards HIS intrusive design. Just upgrade the AA technology but maintain the original goofy style.

I concur. That'd be an excellent idea!

I'm really not even a fan of the movies. I find them boring. But since they're so popular, I get why Disney is trying to tie in the ride to the movie that's based off of this ride.. Wait.. What.. My brain hurts.

Bocabear

i wonder why in the auction scene they have a great animatronic auctioneer, but the pirates opposite watching the auction are all in this awkward position with their hands down at their sides…when so much was done to be gestural to convey lifelike poses, this always struck me as strange…Has anyone else ever noticed that?

tissandtully

Rode this yesterday and the couple in the front of the boat got pretty wet and said something to the unload CM about it and his response was and I quote "Well, it IS a water ride..."

It also went down 5 minutes after we exited.

Victor Kelly

It went down first thing in the morning on our trip. They evacuated us due to a fire alarm. The CM gave us a Anywhere Anytime FP. You rock Cory!!

I saw some stuff not working 100%, but my biggest deal was the boats. They seem to need bilge pumps from the amount of water in them at times. But I am curious, what are the current dangers on this ride? If the boats neither sink or capsize the ride is fairly safe. Until the pirates start eating the tourists, then, well, we have issues.

JohnD

What ever happened to personal responsibility??
Isn't there a notice at most attractions to keep your hands and arms inside the ride at all times? This was a case of stupidity on the part of the rider.
Also if you extend the back end... then the front will also have to have enough buffer so you can't touch the font edge. Then extend the sides of the boat, so stupid people can't touch the sides or reach down into the water.
And while we are at it.... be sure to put in extremely large padded lap bars, so that only people who are less than 150 lbs and 5'4" can comfortably ride.
Boat occupancy will effectively be reduce to a single column of 4 people.

Good points. But we live in a society where no one is responsible for their actions. Just look at warnings on packages. If no warning, the manufacturer is at fault. Hence, warnings like "Do not use hair dryer in bath tub while plugged in."

Webb

Pirates has always been a must do every trip. We are in the world and rode last week... Front row with 2 other adults...needless to say it felt like a splash a thon! I'm not one to complain but as we were exiting I told hubby that was the only time we'd be riding that for the rest of the trip.. I couldn't believe how wet we got! And why did they pack us in like that?? Wait was nothing we walked on! I'm happy to hear that a big refurb is going to happen and they are addressing the water issue :)

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
So the question I have is, will it be worth it to ride on our trip next weekend? The last time i was in MK was Christmas of 2013 and there were serious issues then. We got stuck right before the final scene with Jack Sparrow for roughly 15 to 20 minutes then. I can't imagine how much worse its gotten since then.

dstrawn9889

So the question I have is, will it be worth it to ride on our trip next weekend? The last time i was in MK was Christmas of 2013 and there were serious issues then. We got stuck right before the final scene with Jack Sparrow for roughly 15 to 20 minutes then. I can't imagine how much worse its gotten since then.
stuck or just waiting in queue with the other 6 boats waiting to unload?

note2001

The backup of boats unloading is one of the issues they need to address, but I'm not sure if that's a priority with them. The wait times in POTC are down from what they were in the early years too, so I believe part of the problem is they have more boats running. Reduce boats and wait time increases.

Splash has the same problem, and Test track, although not boats, is headed that way too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom