Major 2015 Pirates of the Caribbean Refurbishment Watch/Rumor.

ToTBellHop

The backup of boats unloading is one of the issues they need to address, but I'm not sure if that's a priority with them. The wait times in POTC are down from what they were in the early years too, so I believe part of the problem is they have more boats running. Reduce boats and wait time increases.

Splash has the same problem, and Test track, although not boats, is headed that way too.
That stacking is at least in part due to an increased number of scooters/wheelchairs and obese people who take awhile to get out of the ride vehicles. The only way Disney can help with that is by adding more runDisney events.

note2001

That stacking is at least in part due to an increased number of scooters/wheelchairs and obese people who take awhile to get out of the ride vehicles. The only way Disney can help with that is by adding more runDisney events.

Perhaps what Disney needs is a specialized loading/unloading area on all rides like what the Safari has just for those who have special needs. Will it happen? Nope.

As for my inability to run a half marathon, I'm working on it, stop picking on me.... ;)

ToTBellHop

Perhaps what Disney needs is a specialized loading/unloading area on all rides like what the Safari has just for those who have special needs. Will it happen? Nope.

As for my inability to run a half marathon, I'm working on it, stop picking on me.... ;)
Some of the rides really don't have room for that, unfortunately. I don't know that there is any real solution. It's just reality in 2015. It is wonderful that so many rides at WDW are handicapped-accessible. But, that does sometimes necessitate heightened patience.

Anecdotally, I notice fewer folks in wheelchairs and fewer morbidly obese guests around runDisney events. Far fewer delays at the buses, for example.

JohnD

So the question I have is, will it be worth it to ride on our trip next weekend? The last time i was in MK was Christmas of 2013 and there were serious issues then. We got stuck right before the final scene with Jack Sparrow for roughly 15 to 20 minutes then. I can't imagine how much worse its gotten since then.

I guess it comes down to a matter of choice. If you haven't been on it in a long time, and want to experience the nostalgia, then ride. If you would rather wait until after a refurb, don't. In September 2013, I hopped on PPF right before a lengthy refurb. Prior that I hadn't been on it in years so, for me, it was worth it to ride.

Eric1955

So the question I have is, will it be worth it to ride on our trip next weekend? The last time i was in MK was Christmas of 2013 and there were serious issues then. We got stuck right before the final scene with Jack Sparrow for roughly 15 to 20 minutes then. I can't imagine how much worse its gotten since then.

I just rode it on Monday and it was in pretty bad shape. We also had the same problem stuck listening to Jack Sparrow. I still think it was worth riding though. I guess it's just a matter of how important riding it is to you, but I would never skip Pirates.

Last edited:

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
I dont understand the difficulty in fixing minor issues such as the 'ping' sound you hear when the bullet strikes the cantina sign in the auction scene. I havent heard in over a year. I would think its just a speaker on a timed loop. All in all, the little effects not working dont ruin the ride, but it sure is noticeable when youve grown accustomed to them.

Worst part of our last ride on POTC was not the shabby conditions but the family in line with us who were at extreme pixie duster apologist level. Ride went for down for appx 15 minutes right as we got to the loading area. When they announced it was resuming people started clapping and cheering. The wife says to the husband, "why do these people get upset, its an old ride and it breaks down". They kept explaining to the their son how this was the best ride and he was gonna love it. So as we round the first bend where you see Black Beard in the fog, the dad says, "get ready, Michael, here comes the pirate in the fog!" Of course it wasnt working and the kids asks, "where is it"? The mom is all like, errr, "hes not there, but you can hear him, isnt that cool !!???" My wife nudges me and giggles a little.(this woul become a trend for the whole ride) Next they are telling Michael, "look for the mermaids!" and again, theyre a no show. The mom says to Michael, "usually they are there, its really cool!" Between the mermaids and the lift hill the mom and dad must have spewed out at least ten more, "look Michael, isnt that cool", seriously, it was at least ten times in 20 seconds and it was starting to get annoying.

We go down the hill and of course they have to ask the kid, "wasnt that really cool!!!??? Then they decided to start explaining EVERY scene and event as we approached it, and they were very loud. "Thats the mayor, the pirates are trying to get him to talk", "Theres Jack Sparrow hiding, isnt he cool!!??", "look at the cool pirates". I was starting to wonder if the parents had a limited vocabulary because "cool" was the only adjective they seem to use. By the time we reached the auction scene I just couldnt take it anymore. I was ready to jump ship and risk being crushed by the boat. It was laughable at first but the ride just became horrible having to listen to these two constantly telling their kid "look at that", followed by "thats so cool". I dont even think the kid was enjoying it because he had no time to soak anything in. I just began saying out loud to my wife, "look honey, its water, isnt that soooo cool", "look, theres a pirate, its so cool!!!" I know for sure they heard me but I dont even think my extremely sarcastic and mocking tone was understood because they just kept on trucking and berating poor little Michael with their excitement to use the one adjective in their arsenal of descriptive words, "cool"

Even after getting backed up for several minutes at the treasure room scene and the kid asked why we were stuck the mom just explained "this is how the ride is and people get upset for no reason". Oddly enough, nobody in the boat was complaining yet she felt the need to educate her son on the issue. Of course as we unloaded the parents had to explain to him what was happening and did it with a great big "that was so cool, now we have to get off the boat". The mom was mumbling all the way up the exit ramp about people who get upset about the effects not working and that they should just enjoy the ride. It was strange because nobody on the boat, including us, said anything about effects. I seriously wanted to ask them if they were members of this website but I just shook my head and laughed as my wife said, "I know you cant wait to tell all the other doom and gloomers about these two". Ill always wonder how little Michael will turn out as he gets older. Hes got an uphill battle with those two leading the way. I fear that the word "cool" will be a trigger for some type of dangerous behavior in his adult years. Catcher in the Rye may come in handy.

(apologies for the long story but I had to suffer through it, and now you did too)

Last edited:

Sage of Time

Rode this yesterday and the couple in the front of the boat got pretty wet and said something to the unload CM about it and his response was and I quote "Well, it IS a water ride..."

It also went down 5 minutes after we exited.
A boat ride doesn't mean and should never mean that you're getting soaked. It certainly didn't for POTC's first 38ish years of operation.

note2001

Worst part of our last ride on POTC was not the shabby conditions but the family in line with us who were at extreme pixie duster apologist level. Ride went for down for appx 15 minutes right as we got to the loading area. When they announced it was resuming people started clapping and cheering. The wife says to the husband, "why do these people get upset, its an old ride and it breaks down". They kept explaining to the their son how this was the best ride and he was gonna love it. So as we round the first bend where you see Black Beard in the fog, the dad says, "get ready, Michael, here comes the pirate in the fog!" Of course it wasnt working and the kids asks, "where is it"? The mom is all like, errr, "hes not there, but you can hear him, isnt that cool !!???" My wife nudges me and giggles a little.(this woul become a trend for the whole ride) ...

(apologies for the long story but I had to suffer through it, and now you did too)

Nah, I jumped to the end. Bet you wished you could have too. Video bloggers on rides bother me just as much.

Monorail_Red_77

Good points. But we live in a society where no one is responsible for their actions. Just look at warnings on packages. If no warning, the manufacturer is at fault. Hence, warnings like "Do not use hair dryer in bath tub while plugged in."

How about this quote I saw on a milk carton. "Contains Milk". I couldn't believe it when I saw it. Everyone is looking for a buck these days. :banghead:

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
I dont understand the difficulty in fixing minor issues such as the 'ping' sound you hear when the bullet strikes the cantina sign in the auction scene. I havent heard in over a year. I would think its just a speaker on a timed loop. All in all, the little effects not working dont ruin the ride, but it sure is noticeable when youve grown accustomed to them.

Worst part of our last ride on POTC was not the shabby conditions but the family in line with us who were at extreme pixie duster apologist level. Ride went for down for appx 15 minutes right as we got to the loading area. When they announced it was resuming people started clapping and cheering. The wife says to the husband, "why do these people get upset, its an old ride and it breaks down". They kept explaining to the their son how this was the best ride and he was gonna love it. So as we round the first bend where you see Black Beard in the fog, the dad says, "get ready, Michael, here comes the pirate in the fog!" Of course it wasnt working and the kids asks, "where is it"? The mom is all like, errr, "hes not there, but you can hear him, isnt that cool !!???" My wife nudges me and giggles a little.(this woul become a trend for the whole ride) Next they are telling Michael, "look for the mermaids!" and again, theyre a no show. The mom says to Michael, "usually they are there, its really cool!" Between the mermaids and the lift hill the mom and dad must have spewed out at least ten more, "look Michael, isnt that cool", seriously, it was at least ten times in 20 seconds and it was starting to get annoying.

We go down the hill and of course they have to ask the kid, "wasnt that really cool!!!??? Then they decided to start explaining EVERY scene and event as we approached it, and they were very loud. "Thats the mayor, the pirates are trying to get him to talk", "Theres Jack Sparrow hiding, isnt he cool!!??", "look at the cool pirates". I was starting to wonder if the parents had a limited vocabulary because "cool" was the only adjective they seem to use. By the time we reached the auction scene I just couldnt take it anymore. I was ready to jump ship and risk being crushed by the boat. It was laughable at first but the ride just became horrible having to listen to these two constantly telling their kid "look at that", followed by "thats so cool". I dont even think the kid was enjoying it because he had no time to soak anything in. I just began saying out loud to my wife, "look honey, its water, isnt that soooo cool", "look, theres a pirate, its so cool!!!" I know for sure they heard me but I dont even think my extremely sarcastic and mocking tone was understood because they just kept on trucking and berating poor little Michael with their excitement to use the one adjective in their arsenal of descriptive words, "cool"

Even after getting backed up for several minutes at the treasure room scene and the kid asked why we were stuck the mom just explained "this is how the ride is and people get upset for no reason". Oddly enough, nobody in the boat was complaining yet she felt the need to educate her son on the issue. Of course as we unloaded the parents had to explain to him what was happening and did it with a great big "that was so cool, now we have to get off the boat". The mom was mumbling all the way up the exit ramp about people who get upset about the effects not working and that they should just enjoy the ride. It was strange because nobody on the boat, including us, said anything about effects. I seriously wanted to ask them if they were members of this website but I just shook my head and laughed as my wife said, "I know you cant wait to tell all the other doom and gloomers about these two". Ill always wonder how little Michael will turn out as he gets older. Hes got an uphill battle with those two leading the way. I fear that the word "cool" will be a trigger for some type of dangerous behavior in his adult years. Catcher in the Rye may come in handy.

Thats a COOL story! haha sorry I had to do it. That type of situation always irks me, and maybe it shouldn't but damn if I have to gather all restraint on those type of yappers. These are the same types of folks that chatter throughout a concert and don't truly experience the show...

Mike S

From one Michael to another, I feel sorry for the kid. I really do.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Thats a COOL story! haha sorry I had to do it. That type of situation always irks me, and maybe it shouldn't but **** if I have to gather all restraint on those type of yappers. These are the same types of folks that chatter throughout a concert and don't truly experience the show...
Whats crazy to me is that they obviously LOVE WDW which I think is great, regardless if Im a doom and gloomer and theyre hard core snorters. But for the sake of your child, why not let him experience the ride without beating him over the head about your opinion of it? Poor kid probly had minor whiplash from jerking his head left and right every two seconds to see what his parents were describing.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Whats crazy to me is that they obviously LOVE WDW which I think is great, regardless if Im a doom and gloomer and theyre hard core snorters. But for the sake of your child, why not let him experience the ride without beating him over the head about your opinion of it? Poor kid probly had minor whiplash from jerking his head left and right every two seconds to see what his parents were describing.

Exactly, how most of us here had the opportunity to (pure assumption since I am new here but you guys know your stuff!) for our own opinion when we were kids.

Goofyernmost

I'm sorry, I have been very vocal about things that I think are less then stellar about WDW. And I would even be upset about all the stuff that wasn't/isn't working on PoTC, but, please there is nothing wrong with what they said to him after they built it up for their son. They loved the ride and they wanted their son to love it as well, but, for whatever reason Disney has, the ride as been neglected to the point where it is a disappointment to loyal Disney fans, but, do you think that they should be expressing that emotion to their child. A child that still has a chance of loving the place or the ride as long as the problems are minimized. They aren't defending Disney. For all you know they sent angry letters to Disney after the trip. They were defending themselves because they built the situation up beyond what Disney is currently willing to deliver. Be concerned about Disney's less then wonderful way of doing business lately, if you like. However, those parents did nothing wrong with how they handled the situation. Saying "cool" a lot is hardly a criminal offense either.

Should they all be like the Debbie Downers that occupy such a large portion of this board. (BTW, I believe from her reactions, she very definitely has seen this board.) Little Michael will turn out just fine, because, he has seen things that are less then perfect and has been taught to make the best of bad situations. I worry a lot more about the people that get all angry and militant because things are not exactly the way they want them. Especially when they have absolutely no control of the situation except, in this case, to not go there and support what they consider shoddy conditions. But yet, they continue to fill the cash registers of a place that they consider to be falling apart. Why is that? Do they still find things about WDW that they find worth spending the money on? Or are they going to throw the baby out with the bath water because it doesn't measure up to some preconceived idea of what it "should" be like.

Victor Kelly

It was running pretty well for our trip a few weeks ago. All AAs were working right, mermaids were hit and miss, lighting was a tad dimmer than the past. Not a very long wait to unload. Just water in the boats.

It did go 101 one morning when we got to load. I asked if they forgot to say good morning to a certain someone and the CM without missing a beat said it wasn't him, he didn't open that morning.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
I'm sorry, I have been very vocal about things that I think are less then stellar about WDW. And I would even be upset about all the stuff that wasn't/isn't working on PoTC, but, please there is nothing wrong with what they said to him after they built it up for their son. They loved the ride and they wanted their son to love it as well, but, for whatever reason Disney has, the ride as been neglected to the point where it is a disappointment to loyal Disney fans, but, do you think that they should be expressing that emotion to their child. A child that still has a chance of loving the place or the ride as long as the problems are minimized. They aren't defending Disney. For all you know they sent angry letters to Disney after the trip. They were defending themselves because they built the situation up beyond what Disney is currently willing to deliver. Be concerned about Disney's less then wonderful way of doing business lately, if you like. However, those parents did nothing wrong with how they handled the situation. Saying "cool" a lot is hardly a criminal offense either.

Should they all be like the Debbie Downers that occupy such a large portion of this board. (BTW, I believe from her reactions, she very definitely has seen this board.) Little Michael will turn out just fine, because, he has seen things that are less then perfect and has been taught to make the best of bad situations. I worry a lot more about the people that get all angry and militant because things are not exactly the way they want them. Especially when they have absolutely no control of the situation except, in this case, to not go there and support what they consider shoddy conditions. But yet, they continue to fill the cash registers of a place that they consider to be falling apart. Why is that? Do they still find things about WDW that they find worth spending the money on? Or are they going to throw the baby out with the bath water because it doesn't measure up to some preconceived idea of what it "should" be like.

Why did they feel the need to hype the ride before the kid got on it? Its a great ride, the kid would have discovered it on his own, as Im sure they did when they first rode. Why not just let him ride without having all THEIR opinions of it going through his little head? There would be no need to explain all the missing elements had they not hyped them up in the first place and it would have spared all the other people in the boat from having to listen to their personal narration and explanations for the ENTIRE ride. They truly acted as if no one else was on the ride but them. Saying cool 800 times is not a crime, but its extremely rude to talk loudly throughout the ride. It would have been just as annoying if they were pointing out flaws the entire time as well. My post wasnt a knock against people who ignore the rides shoddiness, it was simply a knock against rude people who just so happened to be "pixie dusters".

You could call me a Debbie Downer I suppose but that doesnt mean I am a hypocrite for continuing to visit. Im a Debbie Downer towards the current administration, not WDW. I dont get upset at the actual attraction for being in bad shape, it cant repair itself, I get upset with the people who wait until its falling apart to fix it. The parks were there before Iger and co. and they will be there long after and hopefully the next group will be better at caring for the parks in Orlando. I may be frustrated with Americas current leadership but does that mean I hate my country or that I should not support 'made in America' poducts? I support Walt Disney World for many reasons aside from the attractions.

Marc Gil

The last time I rode POTC was in November, and I could assure you that the ride was in terrible shape, but they did fix the cloud projections in ship battle scene.

Its been at least 5 years since I last saw that projection turned on... Anyway, some improvement, but with a medley of other effects and lighting issues that still plague the attraction, it's like putting a band-aid on a broken arm.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Absolutely worth riding!
Despite its shortcomings right now, I enjoyed each of our 7 rides in November.

I'll take Pirates, warts and all, over the new 7DMT.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Exactly, how most of us here had the opportunity to (pure assumption since I am new here but you guys know your stuff!) for our own opinion when we were kids.
I think some parents so desperately want their kids to have a good vacation and/or fall in love with WDW that they force the magic upon them so hard without realizing that it may backfire or just leave the child confused on what to make of it all. You cant fear that your child will not embrace it and in return bombard with them suggestions of "look how cool it is". It can only create an unnatural outcome.

I was concerned my wife would never grow as fond of WDW as I was when we took our first trip together years ago. As much as I wanted to point out things she was missing I knew the best option was to let her experience it in her own way. Lucky for me, she got hooked, not so lucky for my wallet, as we both got hooked on deluxe resorts. lol

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom