Main Street U.S.A. hub redevelopment at the Magic Kingdom

kap91

wow this could be really good!

I know many on here would just like more thrill rides but all these new infrastructure additions and changes will really benefit Disney long term

Again proves my theory that WDW's main priority at the moment is increasing efficiency - so it'll be able to handle the crowds it now attracts and the many more it will attract when/if it decides to build more attractions.

2466wsw.png

Are these big beautiful trees I see?!?! Please pretty please pretty please?!?!? If filling in part of the moat means I get big beautiful shady trees: quick hurry fill in the whole damn thing!

NowInc

Again proves my theory that WDW's main priority at the moment is increasing efficiency - so it'll be able to handle the crowds it now attracts and the many more it will attract when/if it decides to build more attractions.

ehhhhh... more like its able to handle the DIFFERENT types of crowds it currently attracts. WAY more double wides and ECVs than ever before which makes it EXTRA hard to navigate. This is more of a necessity to fix a current issue rather than prepare for the future.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
ehhhhh... more like its able to handle the DIFFERENT types of crowds it currently attracts. WAY more double wides and ECVs than ever before which makes it EXTRA hard to navigate. This is more of a necessity to fix a current issue rather than prepare for the future.
Or ... could be both. Address current problems AND prepare for the future.
I have my fingers crossed (but am not holding my breath).

kap91

This is only a small part of it. When you factor in MyMagic+, New Entrances, Monorail Updates, Main Street Bypass, This walkway expansion, one rumored for Town Square, Articulated busses, etc. it shows an extreme emphasis on increasing capacity and efficiency. I doubt Disney would spend the amount of capital on these kind of long term investments if they only thought they would help current issues and not help them substantially into the future. I'm not saying that means they're going to start building a bunch of new attractions the second they're done with it all - but I do think it indicates a management team that can look at the very long term.

NowInc

This is only a small part of it. When you factor in MyMagic+, New Entrances, Monorail Updates, Main Street Bypass, This walkway expansion, one rumored for Town Square, Articulated busses, etc. it shows an extreme emphasis on increasing capacity and efficiency. I doubt Disney would spend the amount of capital on these kind of long term investments if they only thought they would help current issues and not help them substantially into the future.

Tho I would love to agree...all of those things (except MM+) are things being done due to how crazy its been recently. DCA got a whole lot of new stuff which brought in a whoooole lot more people than before, and as far as I recall, there wasn't a huge change in the pathways, entrances, etc..

kap91

Tho I would love to agree...all of those things (except MM+) are things being done due to how crazy its been recently. DCA got a whole lot of new stuff which brought in a whoooole lot more people than before, and as far as I recall, there wasn't a huge change in the pathways, entrances, etc..

DCA was built with pathways the size of Epcot/AK, and neither DCA nor DL had anywhere near the attendance the Florida parks get until very recently. Essentially DCA was built from the beginning to handle much higher levels of crowds than it ever received in the past nor still receives. In addition there were indeed more minor pathway improvements at DCA with the construction of Buena Vista Street and the connection of Cars Land with the rest of park - essentially removing all dead ends and making the flow around the "hub" a bit more efficient. DL is starting to see the capacity/crowd control problems that MK sees but I'm not sure if there's all that much they can do construction-wise to alleviate it. That and they still have a while to go before it gets completely out of hand on a regular basis. I would expect to see MyMagic+ or something similar rolled out there as well in several years once all the kinks are worked out of the system here.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
It certainly needs doing. Done well it will certainly help with all the problems mentioned.

WDWs hub waterway is far bigger than the other current castle parks to begin with. As sad as the change may seem it is necessary and it can afford to loose some wet stuff and still retain most of the feeling of a circular waterway.

Sadly the large tree near Noodle non-station will have to go. Be nice if it could moved.

Now let's add more quality attractions too that the additional guests will want to ride :)

Mad Stitch

I looks like the area being filled is going to be for FastPass+ viewing. This is the area just above Casey's Corner and the Plaza Restaurant. You can see in the photos posted by @SeaCastle, there are areas marked "FP+ Tap Poles". This would make sense since that is probably going to be the best viewing location on Main Street.

I noticed that also. I'm fine with it since the new outer ring walkway will add viewing capacity for non fast pass.

roj2323

Seems like the work is primarily to provide more "prime" viewing areas for Wishes while simultaneously improving traffic flow with the new East Main Street walkway. This will be accomplished in part by filling in the southern part of the moat, right around where the Tip Board/First Aid plaza is. The new viewing areas will have artificial turf encircled by seat-walls.

Water feature aficionados worried about losing part of the moat should be at least partially consoled by the installation of not one, but two wrought-iron fountains to be installed in the new planters. Also- the First Aid Plaza fountain will be retained.

2466wsw.png

2zs2sjt.png

2qswap3.png

where are you finding these drawings? I'd love to see more.

CrescentLake

Not sure how I feel about this. I really want to like it, and I think ultimately it could be nice, but I am worried about it being screwed up. It could look really nice and could do a lot for guest flow problems, but it also could end up looking horrendous. I'm cautiously optimistic.

prfctlyximprct

Working with the excellent overlay @roj2323 posted, I added the reddish color to highlight the new walkways and blue to the areas of remaining water. I wanted a little better visual of the new pathways. Please feel free to correct/expand on it!

zqR-WcQdgib8SfYnhv_aoRlFSy1v_Wuf-MxHJ-Qqd6M=w858-h708

Thanks so much for the visual! I wonder how long this will take?

flynnibus

Premium Member
It does seem kind of dumb to build a special "fire works viewing area" which requires you use one of your precious 3 FP+s, and have that area be behind a space that gives you the same view for free

The value of parade/fireworks/show passes is just like ride FPs... it's not that you get an UPGRADED experience.. it's that you get an experience without having to fuss over prolonged waits, queuing early, etc.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom