Main Street U.S.A. hub redevelopment at the Magic Kingdom

MerlinTheGoat

I'll have to wait to see the finished product (whenever that ends up happening). This COULD end up being nice if done right, but that's a hell of a big if. We need trees galore at least to forgive the reduction in water (like the idea of new fountains though). And I second the question- how long are we looking at here? One would hope faster than normal given the fact that it's the main castle hub. Being a huge construction zone throughout a long period for the first thing you see as you enter is going to really hurt the experience.

PhotoDave219

Disney Fine Art Photography have been telling brides that after this weekend they will no longer be able to have photos with the moat in the background ever. They would have to be photoshopped into a stock photo. This has been known for a couple of weeks now.

You realize I'm going to double-check before I believe you.... Because the materials Ive seen, do not have it filled in.

rioriz

This looks pretty nice and much needed in my opinion. I love the way the TDL courtyard looks so anything similar is great!

Snowflake82

Those little things that I shouldn't let get under my skin....every time I see that commercial I feel my muscles tense up.

Blessed the commercial doesn't have Casey's in the commercial. I'd tense up a second time give the choice to dump Ice Cream parlor chairs inside of Casey's. How difficult would it have been to remove the bleachers but put baseball stadium seating in Casey's. Just theme them like stadium seating and you'd have more seating and a baseball theme.
images

They could so easily alter these to a baseball theme.

I don't know how practical this would be in terms of space, but I like the concept! I would never use the bleacher seating because there is no way I could eat a chili dog on those things without wearing it for the rest of the day.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Opening up a by-pass behind MS east? Fine.

A new bridge connecting to it? Um...ok.

The loss of more green space and foliage in the hub? Ugh...just...no.

Overall...I am displeased.

If done well it can be nice.. see WoC viewing at DCA. Honestly I bet most people don't even comprehend those green spaces today. The swan dock area is the one that stands out the most to me in my memories... not the side of the hub towards Mainstreet.

Lee

Adventurer
Honestly I bet most people don't even comprehend those green spaces today. The swan dock area is the one that stands out the most to me in my memories... not the side of the hub towards Mainstreet.
I think it'll be quite noticeable. Much less of the park-like atmosphere that the hub used to offer.
True, the extensive defoliation that has taken place over the last decade has already done the bulk of the damage.

I'd just rather not go further down that road.

NomeKing88

So does anyone here have a realistic time frame? This is TDO we're talking about so 24 months? 18 months? 12 months? (Lol at only 12, just threw that one in there).
I bet they'll finish the East Main Street bypass by summer (when crowds will require it most) and then move onto Hub construction from Fall 2014 to Spring 2015.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I think it'll be quite noticeable. Much less of the park-like atmosphere that the hub used to offer.
True, the extensive defoliation that has taken place over the last decade has already done the bulk of the damage.

I'd just rather not go further down that road.

If we were talking about the rolling glens in Future World... I'd agree with the stark visual subtraction. But... I never find myself looking back towards the CP or the resturant really. And the lawns on the side of the hub.. it's such a drop down to the water I don't think people pay it much mind.

My concern is more about how 'busy' things will look vs scerene... and less about the actual loss of greenery.

rudyjr13

I bet they'll finish the East Main Street bypass by summer (when crowds will require it most) and then move onto Hub construction from Fall 2014 to Spring 2015.

Wouldn't they time it to the moat being drained happening now? When they WANT to they can build very fast. Seems like they would want this done before Summer crowds.

I'm sorry you are not excited @Lee. I think this is great news and utilizes space not being used. As long as it is done nice with nature incorporated which I believe it will.

Bolt

Wouldn't they time it to the moat being drained happening now? When they WANT to they can build very fast. Seems like they would want this done before Summer crowds.

I'm sorry you are not excited @Lee. I think this is great news and utilizes space not being used. As long as it is done nice with nature incorporated which I believe it will.
The rough part in general will be the destruction - it'll be ugly for quite a while...but as much as I liked Swan Boat, no one ever was there, just stray chairs and MVMCP and MNSSHP wristbanding.

flynnibus

Premium Member
here's a hall-full view...

People were complaining about how the FP+ took away viewing areas they were used to having WITHOUT FP... well here you go, Disney is adding viewing areas :)

PhotoDave219

Opening up a by-pass behind MS east? Fine.

A new bridge connecting to it? Um...ok.

The loss of more green space and foliage in the hub? Ugh...just...no.

Overall...I am displeased.

I need to see some more renderings of what they're proposing before I pass judgment…

I'm displeased that we cut down all the tall trees and there's no shade in the Magic Kingdom anymore.

(Not to mention that it's impossible to get to anymore but those are different stories)

PhotoDave219

Seems like the work is primarily to provide more "prime" viewing areas for Wishes while simultaneously improving traffic flow with the new East Main Street walkway. This will be accomplished in part by filling in the southern part of the moat, right around where the Tip Board/First Aid plaza is. The new viewing areas will have artificial turf encircled by seat-walls.

Water feature aficionados worried about losing part of the moat should be at least partially consoled by the installation of not one, but two wrought-iron fountains to be installed in the new planters. Also- the First Aid Plaza fountain will be retained.

2466wsw.png

2zs2sjt.png

2qswap3.png

I greatly appreciate the risk you're taking by publicly posting these things. Thank you very much.

Is there a timetable for this?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom