Main Street U.S.A. hub redevelopment at the Magic Kingdom

dgp602

A quick cleaning I'd understand. But if a long term refurb has been in the works for a while I question Disney's timing. Launch a new parade with a major refurb in the immediate background and media galore coming for Dwarf or so they say? Then again much doesn't make sense these days. Maybe the sludge will just be removed from the bottom, a fresh coat of paint and done. Maybe?
Good point about the opening of SDMT and the media horde to follow...whatever work is being done, it is almost certain that it will be completed AND refilled by media day in April...

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Whatever they're doing, it's looking to be pretty expansive. Say hasta la vista to the rose garden path and the old Swan Boats station!
20ur85d.png
Sorry to see this, but good to see you back....:)

aladdin2007

The rose garden path was my favorite :'{ I would walk there and just kinda be away from the crowds and hustle and bustle. This feels like sacrilege. Is there an older plan we can see to compare before and after cause I am not sure what I am looking at/for other than the hub. I see the new pathway going towards main street, but does this mean anything else? So it seems that hub reconstruction is a real thing.

Whatever they end up doing with this, there better be beautification involved. With their recent track record though that isnt feeling too promising. Not impressed with Casey's side of things (barren, ugly, concrete, not a flower in sight) and if thats any prelook of whats to come of this then....they seem you know what bent on uglyfing this park. I think they are trying to get rid of as much horticulture as possible so they dont have to spend money for upkeep. What about the big topairy trees and a couple of the toparies that are left on that right side? Rotten management making these choices. BUT will see. Like I said before, pave it all and make an LA freeway for the mass hordes of people and triple wide strollers. :banghead:
Okay so I had a morning rant lol, maybe its time for some cereal haha.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Whatever they end up doing with this, there better be beautification involved. With their recent track record though that isnt feeling too promising. Not impressed with Casey's side of things (barren, ugly, concrete, not a flower in sight) and if thats any prelook of whats to come of this then....they seem you know what bent on uglyfing this park. I think they are trying to get rid of as much horticulture as possible so they dont have to spend money for upkeep. What about the big topairy trees and a couple of the toparies that are left on that right side? Rotten management making these choices. BUT will see. Like I said before, pave it all and make an LA freeway for the mass hordes of people and triple wide strollers. :banghead:
Okay so I had a morning rant lol, maybe its time for some cereal haha.

I think you are correct - this will be uglier than we CAN imagine, Always loved the rose garden pathway just beautiful and relaxing, Can't have that need pathways for quad wide strollers and the new double wide HD ECV's rated for 1000lb passenger capacity built so entire family can ride.

One more in the #WDW-2014-YEAR-OF-1000-CUTS.

Pumbaa1222

here's an overlay of the drawing over google maps:

12745773505_4afa240da9_o.png
12746218584_a3311dd3d8_o.png

I think this is a little more than a minor project.

I don't hate this. It's a lot less organic, without meandering paths which I don't like. BUT that exterior ring and 2 extra bridges should really help with crowds. Still lots of water and green space. And even though it's not shown, I'm not sure why they have to get rid of all the rose path by the swan boat dock, seems like that would be nice to leave in.

Bocabear

Could all of this construction and opening up the site lines and adding viewing area mean that a new "Dreams" style show could be on the way? They have the space...Dreams was actually designed for the MK and they chose to pass on it...maybe they have decided it's time to do it? Could that be possible? Seems like they are doing an awful lot of infrastructure all of the sudden...as if something big is coming...

JungleTrekFan

here's an overlay of the drawing over google maps:

12745773505_4afa240da9_o.png
12746218584_a3311dd3d8_o.png

I think this is a little more than a minor project.

Very nice Overlay, Thank You!

I am actually very interested to see how this renovation plays out, it looks like this could help alleviate a lot of issues in the hub especially during Wishes and parades. That added ring will be a blessing. Maybe they will even put some more trees in those tertiary planter sections.
Also good news, the moat is only being slightly changed, just the part closest to Main Street. I can’t tell what is in the place of it though. Is it just planters with the water going underneath the area, or a mix of water and planter. Im not sure.
Im very interested in this expansion to the trolleys ability. Could we possibly get a trolley that goes up and down main street regularly, throughout the day? And of course the added bypass will be a blessing as well during key times. It looks like if the trolley goes through that area either, the bypass would be used more often then not, or they are putting a barn on that side of main street.
Overall I’m very excited for how this may be pulled off. it could greatly increase the grand feel of the castle and hub area and make it similar to Tokyo’s very large hub area.

Last edited:

rudyjr13

I'm sorry but I love this. Traffic is a nightmare and was built for 1972 crowds. This will help us with kids tremendously during parades and fireworks. It is downright scary with kids when the hub and mainstreet is full.

Let's see if they incorporate some nice natural elements to the new paths before jumping off the new bridge.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
I'm sorry but I love this. Traffic is a nightmare and was built for 1972 crowds. This will help us with kids tremendously during parades and fireworks. It is downright scary with kids when the hub and mainstreet is full.

Let's see if they incorporate some nice natural elements to the new paths before jumping off the new bridge.
I agree. Something has to be done to handle the traffic flow around the hub as it is spiraling out of control. Let's hope they can do a great job with this and improve the guest flow and appearance.

rudyjr13

I agree. Something has to be done to handle the traffic flow around the hub as it is spiraling out of control. Let's hope they can do a great job with this and improve the guest flow and appearance.

Thanks. I'm also not quite sure why utilizing wasted space is a bad thing with the caveat that they do it well and integrate theming. I hear you that say you don't want everything to be paved over. Something tells me they will handle this right because of where it is.

willtravel

Thanks. I'm also not quite sure why utilizing wasted space is a bad thing with the caveat that they do it well and integrate theming. I hear you that say you don't want everything to be paved over. Something tells me they will handle this right because of where it is.
Because as humans we don't like change. Especially with WDW. And from comments made with changes made anywhere, there is a definite split in opinion. Remember that book something like Who Moved My Cheese? Always hated that book.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom