Main Street U.S.A. hub redevelopment at the Magic Kingdom

Bocabear

I think it's time to reopen the shuttered restaurant behind Aloha Isle and move the Dole Whip into a larger arena...with air conditioned seating and waiting areas... Dole Whip is more popular than they must have anticipated...and the long line in the hot sun with the quickly melting Dole Whip is just not a good combination...

The Empress Lilly

I think it's time to reopen the shuttered restaurant behind Aloha Isle and move the Dole Whip into a larger arena...with air conditioned seating and waiting areas... Dole Whip is more popular than they must have anticipated...and the long line in the hot sun with the quickly melting Dole Whip is just not a good combination...
They did. Once. Sorta.

The treat to get at Adventureland 1.0 was a Citrus Swirl. At the Sunshine Tree Terrace, next to the Tiki Room. They could serve many more people than the tiny Aloha Isle, that glorified Dole Whip stand. And the swirls could then be enjoyed at the big AL plaza, back then still without the plastic dessert-themed spinner.

BwanaBob

That needed to happen 15 years ago.

They did. Once. Sorta.

The treat to get at Adventureland 1.0 was a Citrus Swirl. At the Sunshine Tree Terrace, next to the Tiki Room. They could serve many more people than the tiny Aloha Isle, that glorified Dole Whip stand. And the swirls could then be enjoyed at the big AL plaza, back then still without the plastic dessert-themed spinner.

Soon, soon... Albeit probably not the same form we remember it.

Got to get Tink et al moved first...

PrincessNelly_NJ

1397258086_zps3c17e664.jpg

Someone just posted on Facebook that the most was being filled up today. They posted a picture as well.

Last edited:

psherman42

This. I always want a dole whip but I don't fancy waiting in that long line ever.

MarkTwain

Is it strange, that pineapple and cigarette smoke now has a positive association to me. Instantly transports me to Adventureland. I honestly get a little disappointed if no one is smoking over there when I stop for my once a trip dole whip. The experience feels incomplete somehow.

But I’m a little strange that way. The smell of second hand smoke doesn’t bother me. I actually enjoy it. Always have.

I spent some time in Spain a few summers ago, where smoking is much more prevalent than it is here, so when I smell cigarette smoke I'm instantly whisked off to Barcelona in my mind. It's strange but I have a positive association with secondhand smoke too, so you're not the only one.

tirian

Joygasm, all of my hope that this ends up happening! :joyfull:

I just watched some old home movies the other day of WDW from 91-93 and had a huge rush of nostalgia when I saw those twinkling tree lights. I hope some beauty can be reclaimed again.
Yes, they will be full of twinkle lights. The more I learn about the new hub, the more confident I become in its direction. I miss the old trees but this will go a long way to restoring a park-like environment.

MerlinTheGoat

It would be neat if they implemented programmable LED's for the new twinkling tree lights, using them in their night shows to change colors and dance to the music (MSEP, Wishes and the projection show for example). I'm not getting expectations out of whack though, i'm just happy the twinkling tree lights will return at all. That adds such a wonderful atmosphere to the place.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Incredible.

Which means the only places left to sit are in smoking areas, quick service places (where the smell makes me sick to my stomach if I'm not eating, not sure how many others have this happen), or if it's a little one with exhausted feet you can get creative and do as I've seen many kids do, and have them plop down on the bottom of the displays in stores. Seen many-a-snoozers under the t-shirts.

Good going Disney. I don't see keeping people moving as a way to make more money, just a way to make them more miserable.

Wait... I do believe there are places to sit in Tomorrowland still... don't tell corporate.
So true you can pull out a map or time table and sit down and look at it in Tomorrowland. Benches are disappearing everywhere. At least FLE created some dual purpose areas, walls short enough, planters that have flat spots that can be sat upon like Tomorrowland. They are disappearing too from the Studios. Pixar Street has so few that we saw a woman laying on the sidewalk in front of Toy Emergency exit doors with her sleeping baby. And while FW at Epcot has some nice seating areas benches are not as plentiful in the WC as they once were.

When you buy that beverage that can't be taken on an attraction it would be nice to have somewhere to enjoy it. I was pleasantly surprised to see the new tables at Casey's this week packed from morning 'till night. One of the few places from the entry point that you can find to sit and drink a soda, lick an ice cream cone or enjoy that Starbucks beverage. We've started to deliberately purchase bottled soda and at QS venues order the bottled water so we don't have to pitch our beverages before we go on an attraction.

This week my DD and I enjoyed some adult beverages but we can't enjoy them quick enough so we had this solution.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:

Gabe1

image.jpg
image.jpg

We saw the black tubing in place yesterday from the window at Cosmic Rays, they were still spackling beneath us. They also has a water block similar to this Under Swiss Family Treehouse there was water and fountain working again, yet by Dole Whips, dry.

If you look between the plants on the bottom left, you can see the plastic being shored up by wooden frames where the moat goes from dry to water for the Swiss Tree

image.jpg
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 54
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

Gabe1

Thanks for sharing! I've been wondering how things are coming along. But eeeesh.... what a mess :eek:

Being down here during this mess isn't fun. It really messed with trying to find a spot for Wishes and Castle Show and when you did you were still looking at all the construction walls, not Magical, but better than being at home.
Then you pass through the castle and look at more construction walls in FLE that have been up for years and years already. Someday it will be better but that really is a small consolation for the ugliness that is happening at the Magic Kingdom right now.

They really need to rebuild Peter Pan elsewhere. Yeah I know it would be an expense but that ride needs more queue space and even with a new queue forthcoming when Iger lifts his ban on spending, the walking space between Small World and Peter is way to narrow to handle the foot traffic and Tangled potties do not relieve that portion. CM's in this area and the very entrance to the new FLE are rearranging strollers along with the Small World stroller area in Tangled. They are moving stroller overflow far from where people have left them in appropriate spots due to overflow and guests can't begin to find their strollers they had left in proper stroller queues. I've witness so many melt downs of parents going to stroller queue and strollers being relocated to an unknown place. I'd be angry too.

Last edited:

BwanaBob

:jawdrop:

Can I just draw attention to this post please!? Any other details you can give (QSR, TSR, character dining...?) Any new dining options for MK are desperately needed, as I'm sure Disney well knows.
There have been several experiments over the last year during peak periods with temporary venues in A-land. While limited in what I can share, I can tell you that money is being spent. There is a domino effect with these changes that affect several business lines.... And the first thing that needed to happen is already taking shape ( Tink getting evicted)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom