Main Street U.S.A. hub redevelopment at the Magic Kingdom

glvsav37

Dropped by MK tonight and the walls were down by both ramps. The ramps were instead blocked by rolling hedges. By the looks of things the ramps will be open in the next day or two even though they are far from done on close inspection.

Here's a photo i took and ran through a bunch of filters so you could actually see what was going on: View attachment 118162

Sorry if asked/answered already, but what is that raised platform from on the left side of that turrent? Looks like an awesome parade viewing spot (up and over the crowd). Can you get up there or is for lighting CMS or something?

ChristianG

Sorry if asked/answered already, but what is that raised platform from on the left side of that turrent? Looks like an awesome parade viewing spot (up and over the crowd). Can you get up there or is for lighting CMS or something?
It holds the lighting equipment for "A Frozen Holiday Wish" and "Celebrate the Season." I actually wonder why they still need to use them now that the turret equipment is up and running. I thought the purpose of the new turrets was to house new equipment during the daytime.

ToTBellHop

It holds the lighting equipment for "A Frozen Holiday Wish" and "Celebrate the Season." I actually wonder why they still need to use them now that the turret equipment is up and running. I thought the purpose of the new turrets was to house new equipment during the daytime.
I thought so, too. Guess not.

LL2WDW

Just a though but could the raised platform and lights have anything to do with the Christmas parade taping??

They may be used for elements of the taping, but they are permanent lighting structures that can, and will, be used for all future night-time shows. The lighting rigs existed before the rehab, although they were much more narrow. Perhaps the rigging was outdated and unsafe, and this new scissor lift meets code. Although I agree that they are completely out of scale. I wish they could have been incorporated into the speaker towers, perhaps having the sides of the towers open at show time to reveal the lights. A easier solution would be to raise and lower the lifts right before and after the show, instead of leaving them raised the entire evening (similar to the Fantasmic lighting towers).

Fox&Hound

I hate to be this guy because so far I love the new hub and the choices they made, but the new lights on the ramps don't seem to match at all. There's no black anywhere around it and they just seem wrong. Are they better in person? Are they being painted gray? I'm just not feeling it. Anyone else?

LL2WDW

I hate to be this guy because so far I love the new hub and the choices they made, but the new lights on the ramps don't seem to match at all. There's no black anywhere around it and they just seem wrong. Are they better in person? Are they being painted gray? I'm just not feeling it. Anyone else?

They are the same style and color of the lamps that used to be on the ramps prior to construction, and also those that remained on the backside of the castle. No change, really. Though of course, that doesn't mean you have to like them. They're certainly called to attention more now, due to the revamp.

note2001

They are the same style and color of the lamps that used to be on the ramps prior to construction, and also those that remained on the backside of the castle. No change, really. Though of course, that doesn't mean you have to like them. They're certainly called to attention more now, due to the revamp.
Were they black before the work? The images I'm seeing online are showing sort of a rust color:
7894e57a352cd54bf59b4e13c6491fee.jpg

LL2WDW

Were they black before the work? The images I'm seeing online are showing sort of a rust color:

Well, I sheepishly stand correctly. I do know there are black lamps on the backside, or perhaps they're in the breezeway. I must have had that color in my mind. The style of them remains the same, so my mind played tricks. I do like that rust color. Maybe they'll receive paint?[/QUOTE]

ToTBellHop

Well, I sheepishly stand correctly. I do know there are black lamps on the backside, or perhaps they're in the breezeway. I must have had that color in my mind. The style of them remains the same, so my mind played tricks. I do like that rust color. Maybe they'll receive paint?
[/QUOTE]
From looking closely, it does appear they were black with rust color painted over, enhancing the "aged" look.

Fox&Hound

Haha- well I feel dumb. I don't remember these lamp posts at all. Maybe they stick out more now that they are black. Or, maybe it's just the perspective from the pictures. Interesting....

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Tuesday, Nov. 17. Wheeled planter boxes block both ramps on either side of the castle. The ramps seem to hold Christmas trees and boxes to be used for Very Merry Christmas nights. Note the installed lights on the ramps are painted black.

IMG_6831.JPG

IMG_6827.JPG

IMG_6832.JPG

IMG_6834.JPG

A special update for the area between The Plaza Restaurant and the Main Street bypass gate near Tomorrowland. There is a new magnolia tree planted at the right side of the gate.

IMG_6835.JPG

Cesar R M

Photo update as of Tuesday, Nov. 17. Wheeled planter boxes block both ramps on either side of the castle. The ramps seem to hold Christmas trees and boxes to be used for Very Merry Christmas nights. Note the installed lights on the ramps are painted black.

View attachment 119605

View attachment 119606

View attachment 119607

View attachment 119608
A special update for the area between The Plaza Restaurant and the Main Street bypass gate near Tomorrowland. There is a new magnolia tree planted at the right side of the gate.

View attachment 119609
thanks for the constant updates man, much appreciated!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom