Main Street U.S.A. hub redevelopment at the Magic Kingdom

Nextinline

It will be interesting to see how the scale of the castle will change as the hub changes. To me, I can't help but feel like the castle shrinks as the hub expands. That's not to say that the additional space won't be welcome & worth whatever small perception it takes away from the size of the castle.

(I apologize if this topic was brought up at length earlier in the thread. I didn't get a chance to read pages 102-267 ;) )

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
It will be interesting to see how the scale of the castle will change as the hub changes. To me, I can't help but feel like the castle shrinks as the hub expands. That's not to say that the additional space won't be welcome & worth whatever small perception it takes away from the size of the castle.

(I apologize if this topic was brought up at length earlier in the thread. I didn't get a chance to read pages 102-267 ;) )
It actually looks the other way to me. The openness of the hub area makes the castle look very isolated and large.

ToTBellHop

I'm sure I could give a manscaping analogy to disprove your point, but not here. Too many children around.

Nextinline

It actually looks the other way to me. The openness of the hub area makes the castle look very isolated and large.
I'm surprised to hear that, but your logic makes sense. I haven't been to MK since last summer and there is no way to tell for sure without experiencing it in person so maybe I would agree. We all know how important scale and perspective are, particularly in that area of the park, so if they could add that much extra capacity and still make the castle look more grand, kudos to WDI.

JediMasterMatt

The wide open tundra of the Hub has always made the castle feel larger... until the turrets started going in. They are reigning in some of that forced perspective in my opinion. Since you can get close to they are closer to you than the castle when approaching from the south, they seem to scale everything down with it. At least that is what my thoughts were in June.

I think part of the issue with the turrets are you can get close to them and you can gauge their height based on you and then they are so similar to the castle's turrets, so it's easy to make a relative comparison.

JennSmith

Ok - sorry, guys! I am sure somewhere on the 364 pages of this thread I can find an answer to this but when exactly are they expecting this to be completed? What about the castle construction?

JennSmith

Your guess is as good as anybody's. Should be by the end of this year.

Ugh - we're going 9/18-9/26 and I am so afraid that we will be surrounded by construction. I mean I know I am probably greatly exaggerating the construction in my head but I am still bummed when I think about all that is closed or being refurbished right now...

Horizons1

image.jpg
Well, that tree didn't last long.

Goofyernmost

Ugh - we're going 9/18-9/26 and I am so afraid that we will be surrounded by construction. I mean I know I am probably greatly exaggerating the construction in my head but I am still bummed when I think about all that is closed or being refurbished right now...
Relax, it's no where near as bad as one thinks. WDW has been doing some sort of continuous construction projects for years (maybe not major attractions) and I have always found it to be less then a problem.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom