Main Street U.S.A. hub redevelopment at the Magic Kingdom

Cesar R M

I asked my Cast Member friend from the Castle Shows management team the question about the "golden arches" last November and she wasn't sure if they were going away; but, said the stage was going to be revamped.

Those arches look awful up close.
unless McDonalds decides to sponsor ;)

SpaceMountain75

After seeing the offending rigs in person last week, I have to believe that they are temporary in at least some respects. That level of visibly shoddy installation, including the cable runs and utility boxes, would be inexcusable for a Cedar Fair or Six Flags park. The poles themselves look to be permanent, but the tech work at the top *has* to be redressed or at least cleaned up before the project is complete. Right? RIGHT?
You'd think. *sigh*

Rose&Crowner

First of all there is no zip line. Tink drew a line with her pencil so she wouldn't forget where to go, or so Peter told me. Secondly, the area will be beautiful peaceful place to rest, like a park.
image.jpg

Last edited:

note2001

First of all there is no zip line. Think drew a line with her pencil so she wouldn't forget where to go, or so Peter told me. Secondly, the area will be beautiful peaceful place to rest, like a park.View attachment 91055
So tempting to draw an outline around that man :hilarious:

Poor guy probably slipped and fell on some melted ice cream, and is now stuck in place by cotton candy and sticky buns.

Last edited:

RayTheFirefly

Just got back from the World, and I finally got to see the new areas of the hub in person.

It looked lovely. The turf looks much better in real life, and the fountains and flowers looked very, very nice. The trees (which look and are said to be much smaller and fewer on these forums) were surprisingly large, and there were a lot more of them than I thought there would be! They were just starting to green up, and it was obvious that they will quickly fill out and grow and the area will look completely different. I do believe people have been unnecessarily negative in regards to the trees. The ones that are there are getting better, and they are still going to add more.

My only complaint was about those lighting-rig poles that have been brought up. They are distracting and ugly. Other than that, I loved it. :)

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Its quite beautiful in person, and as far as sight lines, you must be looking directly looking up at the light poles if they are getting in your way. The sky is due North where the fireworks are, so yeah had no issue seeing anything. I was very skeptical about the change but it really does look great and is more functional than before.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Its quite beautiful in person, and as far as sight lines, you must be looking directly looking up at the light poles if they are getting in your way.
Not really, as the numerous photos have shown.

These could become the Achilles heel in a much needed and executed-as-such project.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Not really, as the numerous photos have shown.

These could become the Achilles heel in a much needed and executed-as-such project.
Sorry, but I do have to disagree. When we were there a few weeks ago, I was specifically looking for the poles. We saw them, but to us, they did not ruin the sightlines. So you moved 6 inches to the left or right. We believe the hub is looking real good, and will be even better when totally completed with the new plantings and trees.

Mr. Peabody

Now I'm not trying to argue for good and bad of this renovation, just trying to compare a tree vs those lights in a vacuum.

Those are unsightly, however, not nearly as much an obstruction to a fireworks display as a tree.
The trees were never an obstruction until Wishes came along with low-level pyro and effects on the castle. Frankly, I don't care for projection shows on the castle or effects that can only be viewed from Main Street or a denuded Hub. I'll take a lush Hub with trees (that twinkled at night!) and fireworks in the sky over something like Wishes or Celebrate the Magic any day.

EDIT: forgot some words

BernardandBianca

The trees were never an obstruction until Wishes came along with low-level pyro and effects on the castle. Frankly, I don't care for projection shows on the castle or effects that can only be viewed from Main Street or the Hub. I'll take a lush Hub with trees (that twinkled at night!) and fireworks in the sky over something like Wishes or Celebrate the Magic any day.

Throw is a few benches for relaxation, and you've got me there.

note2001

It's sad how much better the hub would look without those monstrosities.
I'm curious, if the poles have to be there 24 hours a day, why they didn't bother to make them a bit more pleasing to the eye, maybe even regal. You can't make me believe Disney has no idea how to disguise things.

Throw is a few benches for relaxation, and you've got me there.
There would be an up-charge to sit on the benches. You okay with that?

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Yes, you see them in that picture, but when are are actually standing there, you hardly notice them. In these pictures you are off-center from the castle. If you move to get a more centered picture, they aren't in your way at all. I guess I also have to ask - how many pictures of the same castle do you need? We have probably 50 already, and I didn't even bother with one this year, not because of any construction, but because the castle hasn't changed at all. We have it at night with the castle lights on, in the morning, in the afternoon, and in the evening. Just didn't need a new one this year.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I'm curious, if the poles have to be there 24 hours a day, why they didn't bother to make them a bit more pleasing to the eye, maybe even regal. You can't make me believe Disney has no idea how to disguise things.
I do have to agree with this, though. They could have disguised them better than they have.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom