Main Street U.S.A. hub redevelopment at the Magic Kingdom

Scuttle

They also served a similar role by partially obscuring Tomorrowland and the Contemporary Resort from Liberty Square, thus minimizing the thematic intrusion of a modern tower into a colonial themed land.
Ah yes the days when TDO cared about sight lines. Speaking of sight lines, has the WDWR always had so many clear views of backstage areas? I don't remember being able to see so much years back.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
This seems more accurate

hubtrees2_zps46aa8a61.jpg

PhotoDave219

correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't disney purposely not let the trees get to large before replacing them with smaller trees to keep the illusion that the castle is larger that it actually is?

If you had large trees in the central hub your view from main street would be diminished as the proportional height of the trees would make the castle seem smaller.

Uh, no. That was their PR line they spewed 10 years ago after they went all Paul Bunyon on the trees.

It was because of Wishes. Everyone was trying to cram into a small area to see the show.... so they cut down the trees. Keep in mind this was 2003/4/5 crowd levels, which was averaging high 30s / low 40s a day versus the 50s they're getting on a daily average now. I cannot imagine trying to cram today's crowds into that small area to see Wishes, letalone the castle lighting last christmas.

That being said, I miss the trees. I miss the shade.

ToTBellHop

Uh, no. That was their PR line they spewed 10 years ago after they went all Paul Bunyon on the trees.

It was because of Wishes. Everyone was trying to cram into a small area to see the show.... so they cut down the trees. Keep in mind this was 2003/4/5 crowd levels, which was averaging high 30s / low 40s a day versus the 50s they're getting on a daily average now. I cannot imagine trying to cram today's crowds into that small area to see Wishes, letalone the castle lighting last christmas.

It is for this reason that I hope that they do in fact plant the proposed new trees on the new outer ring around the hub.

G00fyDad

Two words... retractable trees. :joyfull:

WhatJaneSays

Ah yes the days when TDO cared about sight lines. Speaking of sight lines, has the WDWR always had so many clear views of backstage areas? I don't remember being able to see so much years back.
There have always been a fairly good number of spots you could “peek” at backstage areas from the trains. It’s varied greatly over the years due to trees and landscaping changing or growing or dying off, plus buildings being painted tends to un-camouflage them. 2000-2004 was probably the most hidden backstage ever was from the trains. Unfortunately after Hurricane Charlie there were a number of trees and larger shrubs in a few places along the tack that had to be removed due to damage. Some larger trees that were damaged that were in strategic places were braced until they could re-root properly, but most of the smaller ones weren’t.

It filled in fairly quickly but there are some spots that never recovered. There have been some other landscaping issues since then too.

Horizons1

There have always been a fairly good number of spots you could “peek” at backstage areas from the trains. It’s varied greatly over the years due to trees and landscaping changing or growing or dying off, plus buildings being painted tends to un-camouflage them. 2000-2004 was probably the most hidden backstage ever was from the trains. Unfortunately after Hurricane Charlie there were a number of trees and larger shrubs in a few places along the tack that had to be removed due to damage. Some larger trees that were damaged that were in strategic places were braced until they could re-root properly, but most of the smaller ones weren’t.

It filled in fairly quickly but there are some spots that never recovered. There have been some other landscaping issues since then too.

Like the horrid MK sprinkler system?

SnarkyMonkey

I do see what people are saying about the trees when you look at the before and after photos side by side. However, had you not posted those photos, I wouldn't have really noticed a big difference. When I am in the parks, it has never ever bothered me that the trees were removed. Never even gave it a second thought. I suspect that is true for most visitors.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom