Main Street U.S.A. hub redevelopment at the Magic Kingdom

Sage of Time

showing my age here, i remember the big trees they originally had at the hub years ago. those where nice
Same here. It was beautiful. And Disneyland still has that aesthetic in their hub... I miss that.

Four new permits for work at the castle. The first two expire 8/28/2015, the other two 6/26/2015.

Castle Ramps - Rehab
Castle On Stage Gaurdrails - Rehab
Castle Forecourt Concrete - Replace
Castle Light Lifts - Replace
Whoa. More Castle work? As intrusive as last year's work on the turrets?

Expo_Seeker40

While the new hub trees won't be as big as the original hub trees that lasted from 1971-2001, their medium size will certainly be better than those god awful shrubs they finally chopped down that replaced the hub trees in 2003. Also, in the outer ring of the hub, the new ring as many know will hold water features and larger trees.

jprieur

correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't disney purposely not let the trees get to large before replacing them with smaller trees to keep the illusion that the castle is larger that it actually is?

If you had large trees in the central hub your view from main street would be diminished as the proportional height of the trees would make the castle seem smaller.

RandySavage

correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't disney purposely not let the trees get to large before replacing them with smaller trees to keep the illusion that the castle is larger that it actually is?

If you had large trees in the central hub your view from main street would be diminished as the proportional height of the trees would make the castle seem smaller.

A lot of that can be controlled by the species of tree (e.g. ones with low, spreading crowns) and by pruning.
3593212024_9dea18d712_b.jpg

4689669816_c174c6c720_b.jpg

The Original Hub's trees, once mature, provided an oasis of shade, but also enhanced, not detracted from, the view of the castle.

It's a crusade that is lost and over, but having trees separate the castle from the view down Main St, added immeasurably to the castle's 'realism' and beauty, as I think these before-and-afters show, and no nighttime show will ever be worth their removal (IMO):

6888841945_3a54ea6183_o.jpg

6888798029_f4e0bb1f9a_b.jpg

Mike S

A lot of that can be controlled by the species of tree (e.g. ones with low, spreading crowns) and by pruning.
3593212024_9dea18d712_b.jpg

4689669816_c174c6c720_b.jpg

The Original Hub's trees, once mature, provided an oasis of shade, but also enhanced, not detracted from, the view of the castle.

It's a crusade that is lost and over, but having trees separate the castle from the view down Main St, added immeasurably to the castle's 'realism' and beauty, as I think these before-and-afters show, and no nighttime show will ever be worth their removal (IMO):

6888841945_3a54ea6183_o.jpg

6888798029_f4e0bb1f9a_b.jpg
Beautiful. Just beautiful. Amazing how trees lessen the impact of all that concrete huh? :rolleyes:

RandySavage

^ The trees were beautiful in themselves, but also served the important "visual curtain" purpose discussed earlier. Without them, the Castle confusingly looks like it's part of Main St., sitting right at its end. With them, the castle becomes the distant, semi-obscured portal to a new land (Fantasyland), beckoning the visitor to come deeper into the park to explore.

Mike S

^ The trees were beautiful in themselves, but also served the important "visual curtain" purpose discussed earlier. Without them, the Castle confusingly looks like it's part of Main St., sitting right at its end. With them, the castle becomes the distant, semi-obscured portal to a new land (Fantasyland), beckoning the visitor to come deeper into the park to explore.
Don't forget the benches ;)

psherman42

Whenever I see discussions about the old trees in the hub area, I'm reminded of how I seem to be in the minority in liking the current view of the castle down Main Street better. However, when I was at Disneyland, I did notice how many more benches there were and I think WDW could use the same.

hpyhnt 1000

They also served a similar role by partially obscuring Tomorrowland and the Contemporary Resort from Liberty Square, thus minimizing the thematic intrusion of a modern tower into a colonial themed land.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom