Trip Report Mahalo Disneyland for 60 Magical Years!

Disneyland 2016-Castle Down Main Street 01 by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

Aloha!

My name is Len and some of you might remember me from my trip report to Walt Disney World this past Christmas! If you haven't seen it, and are curious, here is the link:

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/mele-kalikimaka-wdw-adventure-2015-completed.909533/

Having visited a Disney park in 2015, I didn't think I would be back to one for a couple of years. However, my wife Sue had a workshop in Las Vegas about a month and a half ago. She asked if I would come along, but not being a big Vegas fan, I initially declined. Sue asked me again as she really wanted company and I jokingly asked if I could stop at Disneyland first. To my surprise, she said YES! Faster than you can say "Bob's your Uncle", I immediately began making plans to visit the park during the tail end of its 60th Diamond Celebration.

As with my WDW trip, I took hundreds of photos and am roughly half done with post processing. It will be a few more weeks before I get the majority done that I want to use for this report, but I thought I'd do a quick intro so that folks here don't think I've gone AWOL!

Some quick thoughts before I get back to Lightroom and Photoshop. I think my pictures, at least composition wise, are much better this go around. One of the reasons is that Disneyland is so much smaller than WDW! Attractions are closer to each other which works for wide angle shots (I like seeing two different icons or attractions in one image). The less commute time between lands allowed me to take just a bit more time composing and studying my subjects.

Whereas I'm happy with a good number of my night shots, I totally failed at shooting dark rides. Not sure why, but you won't see many ride shots for this report. I did manage to get a pretty decent shot of the Abominable Snowman from the Matterhorn, which you'll see later down the road.

Because I was at DL for roughly 3 and a half days, I don't have as much to report as my WDW trip. I'm going to break this report down by the parks and resort rather than a day by day accounting. I think it will keeps things less confusing and much more focused.

Okay, I think that's it for now! The image I'm leaving you with is similar to the first one I posted for my last report. For WDW, it was a picture of Cinderella's Castle looking down Main Street after park closing. This one is very similar except you can sub in Sleeping Beauty's Castle. Unfortunately, you'll immediately notice the security guard on the right side of the street. I waited a good half hour for him to leave, but he wasn't budging...LOL! I think a lot of my "after hour" shots have one or two stragglers in them (it became a running joke with me), but it didn't bother me too much for some strange reason.

As Arnold always says, "I'll be back!"

LisaBelle

So happy you are back with another amazing TR! Your photos are absolutely stunning! Once again the photos of the CMs are my favorites! Love the photos of Koda sneaking up on Sue. I will be anxiously awaiting the next installment!

Juneau Biscuits

Original Poster
I can't recall the exact year I first visited Disney California Adventure, but I do remember being somewhat underwhelmed. There were hints of creative inspiration....the postcard motif at the entrance gate, the Golden Gate bride replica lit up at night, and of course, the debut of Soarin'. Other than those few bright spots, DCA struck me as a low budget Disney park, hastily slapped together with bits and pieces from whatever the company could cobble together. Comparing the layout and theming of both Disneyland and DCA, one could see the vast differences and decisions made that put them apart at the farthest ends of the spectrum. Whereas Disneyland's layout guides you down Main Street, past the hub, and straight on to Sleeping Beauty Castle, DCA's entry path lead you to Sunshine Plaza who's reigning carrot was a sun icon above a rather plain looking fountain. The whole thing felt and looked like a visual dead end. You could actually imagine then CEO Michael Eisner telling his Imagineers to just slap something in that space...the visitors won't care, they'll still come in droves. Well, the visitors did care, and they did come in droves...to Disneyland! It was a running joke among my wife and I, that we would run over to DCA for lunch and to take a relaxing break before heading back to DL. DCA was pretty much a rest stop for us, albeit one with an expensive entry fee. My biggest disappointment associated with this second gate was that it wasn't Disneysea. Now I know if that particular park would have been built, it would have been in Long Beach, but the thought of having a park resembling Tokyo's version always makes me a bit melancholy.

Flash forward a feel years later with the park in full renovation mode thanks to a generous 1.1 billion dollar budget signed off by new CEO Bob Iger. Gone are the large letters spelling out C-A-L-I-F-O-R-N-I-A replaced by an art deco style entrance that immediately sets the stage for these classy upgrades. Gone too are the large postcard tiles and the homogenous mix of stores and eateries. Paying tribute to the California that existed when Walt arrived on the west coast, the strong theming and overall composition immediately transports one back in time to an era of fun, whimsy, and style!

Disney California Adventure 2016-Storytellers Tribute @ Carthay Circle 02 by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

Disney California Adventure 2016-Storytellers Tribute @ Carthay Circle by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

Visitors are greeted by the ragtime music of the Five & Dime Swing Band..a colorful cacophony of sight and sound. Along with the red trolleys and costumed cast members, the immersive feel of DCA starts out with a bang!

Disney California Adventure 2016-The Five & Dime Swing Band 02 by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

Disney California Adventure 2016-The Five & Dime Swing Band 07 by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

Disney California Adventure 2016-The Five & Dime Swing Band 03 by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

Disney California Adventure 2016-The Five & Dime Swing Band 05 by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

Disney California Adventure 2016-Photog Meets Photog @ Fiddler, Fifer, & Practical Cafe by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

Disney California Adventure 2016-Your Local Friendly Officer of the Law by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

Disney California Adventure 2016-Daisy Duck & Friend Takes a Stroll by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

Disney is known for there attention to detail, and they did not skimp this area during the redesign. Things like store decor and popcorn carts add to the overall ambiance of the time period.

Disney California Adventure 2016-Store Wall Detail by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

Disney California Adventure 2016-The Popcorn Cart Cranker by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

The centerpiece of the newly redesigned park is, of course, Carthay Circle Restaurant. Based on the movie theater that premiered "Snow White and the Seven Dwarves", this epic recreation is a visual highpoint of DCA.

Disney California Adventure 2016-Carthay Circle Restaurant Signage by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

Disney California Adventure 2016-Hollywood Land & Carthay Circle by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

Disney California Adventure 2016-Carthay Circle Restaurant Beyond the Trees by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

Disney California Adventure 2016-Carthay Circle Beynd the Fountain by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

Disney Down Under

Mahalo @Disney Down Under! Have you posted some of your Nikon photos? I would love to see them. Carrying a DSLR to Disney can be a task, but I'm always glad I did.

I am thinking of going mirrorless for my next trip, but thats just a thought at this stage.

Most of them are in my trip report over at Disboards. I have posted a few in some of the photo threads and I also have some on my Flickr account.

Juneau Biscuits

Original Poster
Besides being a visual icon, Carthay Circle boasts a mighty fine restaurant too. We celebrated Sue's birthday there and the experience was delightful. While Napa Rose has the edge in food quality, I would say the theming and overall execution of the restaurant's interior is visually superior. Taking its cue from the exterior, the art deco inspired details truly transports you back in time. We started off with the signature Fried Biscuits (not bad, but nothing I would order again) and a sweet corn dish soup smothered in sour cream (this dish would be a definite repeater). Thick cut Pork Chops was our entree selection...very good, but again, nothing super outstanding. Our waiter Bryan was extremely nice and provided top notch service. Looking through the photos I took, I have to say Carthay has a great looking bunch of cast members working there...LOL!

Disney California Adventure 2016-Carthay Circle Restaurant Dining Area by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

Disney California Adventure 2016-Carthay Circle Restaurant Cast Members Stephanie & Deanne 01 by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

Disney California Adventure 2016-Carthay Circle Restaurant Bar by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

Disney California Adventure 2016-Cast Member Bobbi Serves It Up @ Carthay Circle Restaurant by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

Disney California Adventure 2016-Cast Member Danny Serves It Up On the Rocks @ Carthay Circle Restaurant by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

Disney California Adventure 2016-Appetizers @ Carthay Circle Restaurant by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

Disney California Adventure 2016-Waiter Bryan @ Carthay Circle Restaurant by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

While the high prices may deter some folks, and the food is solid if not overly spectacular, Carthay Circle is something everyone should try at least once (if it fits into your budget). It's a beautiful restaurant and definitely worth experiencing!

Disney California Adventure 2016-Celebrating Sue's Birthday @ Carthay Circle Restaurant Bar by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

Disney Down Under

Which mirrorless brand are you thinking of joining? Checked out your work on Flickr...beautiful images...I love them!
I haven't looked too much into them at this stage. Our next trip is next year in the USA Summer so I still have a bit more time. I have seens some amazing shots taken on the Sony range, but I still have plenty of research still to do.

Thank you for the compliment on the photos, I'm learning day by day. I think I'm a much better photographer than I was 12 months ago when most of my Disney shots were taken, so I'm happy I'm improving.

Your latest post of your Carthay Circle visit are great also. We had a great lunch their a little over 12 months ago now. I found the lighting difficult to correct for in post, but your's look fantastic.

Juneau Biscuits

Original Poster
I haven't looked too much into them at this stage. Our next trip is next year in the USA Summer so I still have a bit more time. I have seens some amazing shots taken on the Sony range, but I still have plenty of research still to do.

Thank you for the compliment on the photos, I'm learning day by day. I think I'm a much better photographer than I was 12 months ago when most of my Disney shots were taken, so I'm happy I'm improving.

Your latest post of your Carthay Circle visit are great also. We had a great lunch their a little over 12 months ago now. I found the lighting difficult to correct for in post, but your's look fantastic.

I think the main thing is always feeling you're a bit better as a photographer then you were a while ago. I'm interested to see your shots when you head back to the parks next year! I've looked into mirrorless, but dang, that system is not cheap!

Shooting inside restaurants are always a challenge for me. Trying to keep the ISO down can be frustrating for sure!

Juneau Biscuits

Original Poster
Disney California Adventure 2016-Eureka Mill @ Night by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

I love the area known as Grizzly Peaks! I could be happy with a whole park that is designed similar to this area. While I miss the now gone Condor Flats (love that name), the newly redesigned Grizzly Peak Airfield fits nicely as a transitional space between the Peak and Buena Vista Street. There's an open airy feel here that reminds me of Andy Griffith's Mayberry and its small town homeyness. Soarin' Around the World is still the big draw here, and the newly updated ride means long, long lines. Grizzly River Run is still getting guests wet, but truth be told, I haven't rode it since I started lugging around my Nikon DSLR...lol! My good friend Eddison, an amazing photographer, gets some crazy cool shots as he's going down those rapids, but some men are just born with nerves of steel (mine are more like house grade aluminum). Taste Pilot's Grill has been replaced by Smokejumpers Grill...a really cool restaurant celebrating the legacy of those airborne firefighters of yore. Sue and I ate there for lunch and found the sandwiches (both a burger and chicken) quite ono (Hawaiian for delicious) with the french fries nice and hot! The downside was the crowds..plenty of 'em, so finding seats was a challenge. We ended up in the dining area outside which I don't recommend as it can get mighty hot. But inside tables are very limited, so you just have to make due.

My love for this area makes this post photo heavy...so excuse the bandwidth drain!

Disney California Adventure 2016-The Legend of Grizzly Peak by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

Disney California Adventure 2016-Grizzly Peak Refreshments Area by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

Disney California Adventure 2016-Eureka Mill Daytime by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

Disney California Adventure 2016-Eureka Mine Shaft No. 2 by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

Disney California Adventure 2016-Grizzly River Run 01 by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

Disney California Adventure 2016-Grizzly Peak Airfield by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

Disney California Adventure 2016-Grizzly Peaks Prevent Forest Fires Signage by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

Disney California Adventure 2016-Fill Her Up with Condor Premium! by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

Disney California Adventure 2016-Grreetings from Grizzly Peak! by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

Disney California Adventure 2016-Grizzly Peaks Billboard by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

Disney California Adventure 2016-Smokejumpers Grill by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

Disney California Adventure 2016-Smokejumpers Grill Interior 01 by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

Disney California Adventure 2016-Grizzly Peak Airfield Always On Alert by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

Disney California Adventure 2016-Rushin' River Outfitters by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

Disney California Adventure 2016-Smokejumpers Grill Menu Detail by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

Disney's California Adventure 2016-Waiting in Line @ Smokejumpers Grill 01 by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

Disney California Adventure 2016-Grizzly Peak Park Service Truck by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

Disney California Adventure 2016-Soarin' Around the World 01 by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

My strong dislike for Chip and Dale is ironic since they always seem to appear at character breakfasts or when I'm taking a photo...LOL! I will admit I like them in this particular shot...

Disney California Adventure 2016-Chip & Dale @ Eureka Mill by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom