Trip Report Mahalo Disneyland for 60 Magical Years!

Disneyland 2016-Castle Down Main Street 01 by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

Aloha!

My name is Len and some of you might remember me from my trip report to Walt Disney World this past Christmas! If you haven't seen it, and are curious, here is the link:

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/mele-kalikimaka-wdw-adventure-2015-completed.909533/

Having visited a Disney park in 2015, I didn't think I would be back to one for a couple of years. However, my wife Sue had a workshop in Las Vegas about a month and a half ago. She asked if I would come along, but not being a big Vegas fan, I initially declined. Sue asked me again as she really wanted company and I jokingly asked if I could stop at Disneyland first. To my surprise, she said YES! Faster than you can say "Bob's your Uncle", I immediately began making plans to visit the park during the tail end of its 60th Diamond Celebration.

As with my WDW trip, I took hundreds of photos and am roughly half done with post processing. It will be a few more weeks before I get the majority done that I want to use for this report, but I thought I'd do a quick intro so that folks here don't think I've gone AWOL!

Some quick thoughts before I get back to Lightroom and Photoshop. I think my pictures, at least composition wise, are much better this go around. One of the reasons is that Disneyland is so much smaller than WDW! Attractions are closer to each other which works for wide angle shots (I like seeing two different icons or attractions in one image). The less commute time between lands allowed me to take just a bit more time composing and studying my subjects.

Whereas I'm happy with a good number of my night shots, I totally failed at shooting dark rides. Not sure why, but you won't see many ride shots for this report. I did manage to get a pretty decent shot of the Abominable Snowman from the Matterhorn, which you'll see later down the road.

Because I was at DL for roughly 3 and a half days, I don't have as much to report as my WDW trip. I'm going to break this report down by the parks and resort rather than a day by day accounting. I think it will keeps things less confusing and much more focused.

Okay, I think that's it for now! The image I'm leaving you with is similar to the first one I posted for my last report. For WDW, it was a picture of Cinderella's Castle looking down Main Street after park closing. This one is very similar except you can sub in Sleeping Beauty's Castle. Unfortunately, you'll immediately notice the security guard on the right side of the street. I waited a good half hour for him to leave, but he wasn't budging...LOL! I think a lot of my "after hour" shots have one or two stragglers in them (it became a running joke with me), but it didn't bother me too much for some strange reason.

As Arnold always says, "I'll be back!"

Juneau Biscuits

Original Poster
Beautiful pictures!! I love the idea of doing your trip report by place at DLR because it is a lot smaller than WDW.
Mahalo @PacNWTigger! Yes, it just made more sense to group it by sections rather than day to day activities. Besides, I know my writing tends to jump all over the place, so this will (hopefully) make it easier for people to understand...LOL!

Juneau Biscuits

Original Poster
After finishing up in the lobby, I wandered down various corridors and took a peak at both Storyteller Cafe and Napa Rose restaurant. We were blessed to eat at both locations which I'll discuss further into this post. I headed outside to shoot the exterior as well as the front entrance sign (two photos posted earlier). On the way back inside the hotel, I was stopped by Mickey Mou....nah, you guessed it, another security guard. He asked the obligatory "Am I a guest" question which I answered in the affirmative and showed him my key card. He looked at it, expression blank, and said "You've been taking a lot of pictures". Not to sure how to respond to that question, but I smiled and laughed to make light of the situation. The dude said nothing and walked away. Okay, I know security is doing their job, and its not an easy thing, but talk about making me feel uncomfortable. It made it sound like I was casing the joint and planning some form of robbery. The $550.00 tab per night seemed even more wacky at that point. If anyone felt like they were getting robbed, it was me...LOL! Alright, enough of being a Debby Downer. Again, I respect security and the tough job they deal with on a daily basis, so I just need to roll with it and accept that tripods will bring me a little bit of grief!

Disney's Grand Californian 2016-Front Entrance View 01 by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

Disney's Grand Californian 2016-Front Entrance View by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

Disney's Grand Californian 2016-Driveway Under the Moon by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

Disney's Grand Californian 2016-Valet Parking Wait Area by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

Disney's Grand Californian 2016-Gate to the Swimming Pool by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

Disney's Grand Californian 2016-Directory Signage by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

Disney's Grand Californian 2016-Acorns Gifts and Goods by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

dclfan

I am so excited to hear about your trip @Juneau Biscuits . I absolutely adored your list last trip report at WDW. your pictures are wonderful.

I've probably been to WDW 30 times at this point but have only been able to spend ONE short day at Disneyland so far. I cant wait to take your photo journey, it will be like I'm there too. Maybe if I show my other half your photos he will want to go there next after out October trip to WDW. hehe

Juneau Biscuits

Original Poster
I am so excited to hear about your trip @Juneau Biscuits . I absolutely adored your list last trip report at WDW. your pictures are wonderful.

I've probably been to WDW 30 times at this point but have only been able to spend ONE short day at Disneyland so far. I cant wait to take your photo journey, it will be like I'm there too. Maybe if I show my other half your photos he will want to go there next after out October trip to WDW. hehe

Thank you so much @dclfan for your kind comments! WOW! 30 times to WDW...that would be a dream come true for me. Is your significant other a Disney park fan too? My wife, as mentioned in my posts, is not a big fan, so my photos would just make her NOT want to visit the parks even more...LOL! I'll do my best to make your other half want to make that west coast trip!!!

dclfan

Thank you so much @dclfan for your kind comments! WOW! 30 times to WDW...that would be a dream come true for me. Is your significant other a Disney park fan too? My wife, as mentioned in my posts, is not a big fan, so my photos would just make her NOT want to visit the parks even more...LOL! I'll do my best to make your other half want to make that west coast trip!!!

Believe it or not he had NEVER gone to Disney World prior to us starting to date. I took him to Epcot on a day trip when we first started dating and last year finally got him there for a full weeklong trip. I guess I converted him because he surprised me and booked us a trip, to celebrate my birthday we leave in 2 weeks. He recently started getting into photography so I'm sure he will enjoy your photos as well. Keep up the good work.

Juneau Biscuits

Original Poster
Believe it or not he had NEVER gone to Disney World prior to us starting to date. I took him to Epcot on a day trip when we first started dating and last year finally got him there for a full weeklong trip. I guess I converted him because he surprised me and booked us a trip, to celebrate my birthday we leave in 2 weeks. He recently started getting into photography so I'm sure he will enjoy your photos as well. Keep up the good work.

He sounds like a keeper! Very cool of him to take you to WDW for your birthday (early Happy Birthday, by the way)! I hope you plan on doing a TR, I would love to see his photos!

Juneau Biscuits

Original Poster
After I checked in, Sue went to a massage appointment at Mandara Spa as part of her birthday package. I headed up to the room to take photos before it had that "lived in" look. I'm only including one picture here of the beds, because frankly, a majority of the shots were pretty uninspiring (probably due to my photography skills, and not the room itself).

Disney's Grand Californian 2016-Room Interior 01 by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

We had dinner reservations that night at Carthay Circle Restaurant, but that won't get covered until the Disney California Adventure portion. We did, however, have dinner the following night at Napa Rose. This was our first time dining here and it was not a disappointment!

Disney's Grand Californian 2016-Napa Rose Front by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

Disney's Grand Californian 2016-Napa Rose Drink Menu by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

Disney's Grand Californian 2016-Napa Rose Bar by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

Disney's Grand Californian 2016-Cast Member Ryland Serves Up a Cold One by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

Disney's Grand Californian 2016-Napa Rose Kitchen by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

While both Carthay and Napa are exquisitely themed and designed, Napa has the clear edge in food quality. We started off with the "Seven Sparkling Sins" as an appetizer. Instead of describing each item in my often times insufficient writing style, I'll just copy and past Disney's explanation:

"An array of tantalizations featuring spicy beef & peanut roll, curried crab taco, seared ahi nacho, shrimp in cucumber wrap with lemon dill creme, citrus cured salmon corn cake, tangerine grilled scallop and grape leaves with pheasant for two"

Immaculate in presentation, this appetizer proved to be worth the $45.00 price tag, with the spicy beef and ahi nacho my two favorites. As with our meals at WDW, we split the entree and went with Skillet Roasted prime New York and added a side of Truffled "Mac & Cheese" Orecchiette Pasta.

Disney's Grand Californian 2016-Napa Rose Appetizer by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

Disney's Grand Californian 2016-Napa Rose Appetizer 02 by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

Disney's Grand Californian 2016-Napa Rose Ribeye Entree by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

While taking our order, our waiter asked if we were celebrating a special occasion. We mentioned that it was Sue's birthday the other night, but we had already had special treatment at Carthay Circle. Nonetheless, our waiter still brought my wife a birthday dessert on the house! It was made out of chocolate ice cream with a cookie type foundation that contained a pinch of sea salt. The contrasting flavors of sweet and salty made it quite a treat!

Disney's Grand Californian 2016-Napa Rose Birthday Dessert by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

I'm not a wine guy, but I have to say the restaurant had one impressive wine room:

Disney's Grand Californian 2016-The Wine Cellar @ Napa Rose by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

All in all, we give Napa Rose two thumbs up (equivalent to a 5 star rating)! The true test of a good restaurant for us is whether we'd go back, and Napa passes the test with flying colors!

Juneau Biscuits

Original Poster
Our second meal at the Grand Californian would also be our last for this Disneyland trip!
It's always bittersweet knowing our time at Disney has come to an end, but it was somewhat tampered by the fact that our vacation was only at the half way point and Las Vegas was awaiting. The meal was a morning buffet at Storytellers Cafe...a perennial favorite of ours. Other than Chip and Dale seeming to appear at every character breakfast we've attended, I really enjoy these meet and greets mixed with some really delectable food!

Disney's Grand Californian 2016-Storyteller Cafe Entrance by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

Disney's Grand Californian 2016-Entrance to Storyteller Cafe by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

I've come to the conclusion that I don't do well at buffets except for breakfast. I think it's the sheer variety on the menu and how you can eat according to whether you want to do healthy (cereal, fruit, oatmeal) or go for broke and load up on cholesterol, fat, and grease (bacon, link sausage, pancakes, waffles)! I'm always more of a meat and eggs type of guy at the beginning of a trip, but always find myself gravitating to bananas, yogurt, and Wheaties towards the end of the vacation. Since this was my first and only buffet at Disney, but also the last meal, I kind of fell in between...filling my plate with a little of everything (okay, maybe bacon took up a bit more plate space than the other food groups). We had a fantastic server named Ian who epitomizes what one expects from Disney service. Our glasses of coffee and OJ were constantly filled, plates were consistently cleared, and Ian talked quite a bit with us about family, food, and travel. He had a trainee in Andrew who followed him around, learning the ropes. I've no doubt Andrew will turn out to be a top notch waiter.

Disney's Grand Californian 2016-Storyteller Cafe Dining Area by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

Disney's Grand Californian 2016-Storyteller Cafe Pastry Buffet by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

Disney's Grand Californian-Servers Andrew & Ian @ Storyteller Cafe by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

Disney's Grand Californian 2016-Storyteller Cafe Dining Booth by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

Disney's Grand Californian-Erin @ Storyteller Cafe by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

Disney's Grand Californian 2016-Storyteller Cafe Dining Area 02 by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

Not having any children, our character interactions tend to be short and sweet. Take couple of photos, give a hug or high five, and off the characters go. Perhaps because it was a bit slow, but Koda (Brother Bear) really had fun with Sue. I was roaming around with my camera and headed back to our table to find Koda sneaking up on my unsuspecting wife. He was obviously having a ball with her, and Sue really didn't know what was happening as you can tell from her expressions. As most know (since I've repeated it a billion times), Chip and Dale are the least favorite Disney characters, but one of them (I still cannot tell the difference) also had fun with Sue!

Disney's Grand Californian 2016-Koda Looks for His Next Victim by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

Disney's Grand Californian 2016-Koda Gets A Kick Out of His Sneakiness by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

Disney's Grand Californian 2016-Koda Eyes Out Sue's Breakfast by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

Disney's Grand Californian 2016-Dale Admires Sue's Breakfast by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

Overall, it was a great way to end our stay at the Grand Californian. Would I pay $500.00 a night to stay here again? Probably not, unless our next trip happens to fall on Sue's birthday again...LOL!

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I think it's part of the price for being into photography. You really have to have a thick skin

It's really a shame that you had some pushback at various times from staff, regarding your tripod and camera use. If only these people could see the excellent photos you've taken of their resort hotel, they'd certainly have a change of heart.

I thought the photos of Koda with Sue were hilarious! :joyfull:

Juneau Biscuits

Original Poster
It's really a shame that you had some pushback at various times from staff, regarding your tripod and camera use. If only these people could see the excellent photos you've taken of their resort hotel, they'd certainly have a change of heart.

I thought the photos of Koda with Sue were hilarious! :joyfull:

You know, I do have to say those incidences with security were mostly isolated cases. Overall, my journey into photography has been very rewarding. When I started a couple of years ago, I would be too shy/embarrassed to go up to strangers and ask to take their picture. I think taking cast member photos has really given me a higher level of confidence (and it helps that they probably are instructed not to say "No"...hahaha) in approaching folks!

Agreed, the Koda and Sue moments were priceless (and for everything else, there's MasterCard).

cgersic

YAY for another trip report! You have already heard this several times, but I really enjoyed your previous report as well, especially the Cast Member photos. You do have a keen eye and I, for one, am thankful for this new report! Can't believe the price tag for the hotel though... Eeks!

Juneau Biscuits

Original Poster
YAY for another trip report! You have already heard this several times, but I really enjoyed your previous report as well, especially the Cast Member photos. You do have a keen eye and I, for one, am thankful for this new report! Can't believe the price tag for the hotel though... Eeks!

Thanks @cgersic Like WDW, DL has some really friendly and cool cast members, so taking their pictures was a blast! I think GC maybe the 1st hotel I've stayed at that I've paid over 5 bills a night. I did think the Contemporary last Christmas, and that one was around $660.00 (ended up not pulling the trigger, though).

Juneau Biscuits

Original Poster
Before delving into the next part of this report, I thought I would briefly cover Downtown Disney and give some random thoughts on this shopping area. Compared to Disney Springs, Downtown Disney is likely to be a big disappointment to those use to the Florida complex. As expected (due to space limitations), DD is really more of a glorified strip mall. It does contain a number of high end eateries, and the assorted name stores, but the theming is almost non-existant (to my mind). After having an amazing experience at Via Napoli Ristorante at Epcot, we were looking forward to a similar experience at the Anaheim counterpart. Both the food and service were a big let down, and we really missed the atmosphere and quality found back east. We had hoped to give Steakhouse 55 in the Disneyland Hotel a try, but our schedule couldn't accommodate it. We did tour the lobby and the gift shop which used characters from Fantasia as part of their merchandising displays. I can't honestly remember if I've seen this anywhere else...

Disneyland 2016-Naples Ristorante e Pizzeria Entrance by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

Disney Downtown 2016-FInding Nemo Treats by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

Disneyland 2016-Fantasia Alligator @ Disneyland Hotel Store by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

Disneyland 2016-Fantasia Dancing Hippo @ Disneyland Hotel Store by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

Unlike Disney Springs where live entertainment is found at every corner, DD has one main stage for musical bands. Performers there were quite good on the times we listened, but beyond that, not much happens that I can remember. If you do stay at the Grand Californian, you can exit or enter into this shopping area which is a big plus. I'm not much of a shopper, but DD has most of the goods you'll find in the parks.

Downtown Disney 2016-The Rayford @ Disney Downtown Live by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

A side note to our hotel agenda. While the last two nights at DL were spent at the Grand Californian, I stayed the first three days at the Carousel Inn & Suites. Right across Disneyland, this hotel was clean and priced right. I would have recommended it to anyone planning to stay at a Good Neighbor hotel, but their last day of operation was earlier this month! Not to sure if it was purchased by another hotel chain, but my guess is that Disney bought them out.

Disney Downtown 2016-Carousel Inn & Suites by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom