Trip Report Mahalo Disneyland for 60 Magical Years!

Disneyland 2016-Castle Down Main Street 01 by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

Aloha!

My name is Len and some of you might remember me from my trip report to Walt Disney World this past Christmas! If you haven't seen it, and are curious, here is the link:

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/mele-kalikimaka-wdw-adventure-2015-completed.909533/

Having visited a Disney park in 2015, I didn't think I would be back to one for a couple of years. However, my wife Sue had a workshop in Las Vegas about a month and a half ago. She asked if I would come along, but not being a big Vegas fan, I initially declined. Sue asked me again as she really wanted company and I jokingly asked if I could stop at Disneyland first. To my surprise, she said YES! Faster than you can say "Bob's your Uncle", I immediately began making plans to visit the park during the tail end of its 60th Diamond Celebration.

As with my WDW trip, I took hundreds of photos and am roughly half done with post processing. It will be a few more weeks before I get the majority done that I want to use for this report, but I thought I'd do a quick intro so that folks here don't think I've gone AWOL!

Some quick thoughts before I get back to Lightroom and Photoshop. I think my pictures, at least composition wise, are much better this go around. One of the reasons is that Disneyland is so much smaller than WDW! Attractions are closer to each other which works for wide angle shots (I like seeing two different icons or attractions in one image). The less commute time between lands allowed me to take just a bit more time composing and studying my subjects.

Whereas I'm happy with a good number of my night shots, I totally failed at shooting dark rides. Not sure why, but you won't see many ride shots for this report. I did manage to get a pretty decent shot of the Abominable Snowman from the Matterhorn, which you'll see later down the road.

Because I was at DL for roughly 3 and a half days, I don't have as much to report as my WDW trip. I'm going to break this report down by the parks and resort rather than a day by day accounting. I think it will keeps things less confusing and much more focused.

Okay, I think that's it for now! The image I'm leaving you with is similar to the first one I posted for my last report. For WDW, it was a picture of Cinderella's Castle looking down Main Street after park closing. This one is very similar except you can sub in Sleeping Beauty's Castle. Unfortunately, you'll immediately notice the security guard on the right side of the street. I waited a good half hour for him to leave, but he wasn't budging...LOL! I think a lot of my "after hour" shots have one or two stragglers in them (it became a running joke with me), but it didn't bother me too much for some strange reason.

As Arnold always says, "I'll be back!"

Juneau Biscuits

Original Poster
And then hopefully soon after those TR's, you'll be back with a TR from WDW that includes taking engagement pictures for a certain WDW Magic member. ;)

Another great report and of course BEAUTIFUL pictures! Looking forward to future ones! :)

I'll be back (hopefully) in a couple of months with an Aulani report @blgauger
I'm banking on my next trip back to WDW will be for your engagement photos (I may sneak away for a couple of late night shoots at Epcot and AK...LOL)!

Juneau Biscuits

Original Poster
You're done??!! But, but . . . I love your pictures and stories. More, please? :inlove:

(O.k., o.k. . . . all good things must come to an end. Thank you for your exquisite TR!!)

And Merry Christmas and happy holidays to you, Len, and your lovely wife, Sue.

Thank you @MinnieM123 for your constant support and kindness! Merry Christmas to you and your family...and be safe during the holiday season!

DisneyPrincess5

It's over?! NOOOO.
Thank you for sharing your awesome travels and photos with us @Juneau Biscuits

When I need to live vicariously through you for a Disneyland fix, I will come back and relive this report and appreciate you sharing with us! Enjoy the holiday season as well, and I look forward to your Aulani report in the near future!

Juneau Biscuits

Original Poster
It's over?! NOOOO.
Thank you for sharing your awesome travels and photos with us @Juneau Biscuits

When I need to live vicariously through you for a Disneyland fix, I will come back and relive this report and appreciate you sharing with us! Enjoy the holiday season as well, and I look forward to your Aulani report in the near future!

Thank you for following along @DisneyPrincess5
Have a very Merry Christmas and I'll try my best to have an Aulani report as soon as possible!

LeighM

I don't know how I missed your trip report! I just got caught up only to find out it's over :( Reading your trip report really makes me want to go to Disneyland one day. Fingers crossed now that Jetblue has nonstop service from FL to CA. It's a short flight from where I live to FL so it would be a lot easier now. And I've always loved the Wild West theme. But I did live in the same house as my grandparents and my Granddaddy always loved western movies! Even thought it was way before my time, one of my favorite shows growing up was The Wild Wild West with Robert Conrad. When the movie came out, none of my friends could understand why I was dissing the movie when it had Will Smith LOL. My husband didn't even know it was a TV show before it was a movie :banghead: But I have noticed that the theme doesn't get as much love or attention as when I was growing up. I remember the Ghost Town In the Sky theme park when it was popular (and in business)!! Now that place was exciting :) But then again, I'm a total history geek LOL. Thank you for a wonderful trip report!!!!

Juneau Biscuits

Original Poster
I don't know how I missed your trip report! I just got caught up only to find out it's over :( Reading your trip report really makes me want to go to Disneyland one day. Fingers crossed now that Jetblue has nonstop service from FL to CA. It's a short flight from where I live to FL so it would be a lot easier now. And I've always loved the Wild West theme. But I did live in the same house as my grandparents and my Granddaddy always loved western movies! Even thought it was way before my time, one of my favorite shows growing up was The Wild Wild West with Robert Conrad. When the movie came out, none of my friends could understand why I was dissing the movie when it had Will Smith LOL. My husband didn't even know it was a TV show before it was a movie :banghead: But I have noticed that the theme doesn't get as much love or attention as when I was growing up. I remember the Ghost Town In the Sky theme park when it was popular (and in business)!! Now that place was exciting :) But then again, I'm a total history geek LOL. Thank you for a wonderful trip report!!!!

Thank you for the kinds words Leigh! I'm hoping that you'll get to Disneyland in the very near future! Hey, if you wait a couple of years, Star Wars land should be finished...LOL!

I totally remember the Wild Wild West TV show with Conrad and Ross Martin. That show was ahead of its time with great villains like Dr. Loveless and one of those fantastic themes (seriously, every television series in the 60's had amazing themes...Star Trek, Green Acres, Beverly Hillbillies, The Andy Griffith Show, etc)! I actually somewhat enjoyed the movie even though it was a complete mess in terms of capturing the feel and tone of the show. Hey, don't you think Robert Conrad and Ross Martin would have been a great Captain Kirk and Dr. McCoy?

LeighM

Thank you for the kinds words Leigh! I'm hoping that you'll get to Disneyland in the very near future! Hey, if you wait a couple of years, Star Wars land should be finished...LOL!

I totally remember the Wild Wild West TV show with Conrad and Ross Martin. That show was ahead of its time with great villains like Dr. Loveless and one of those fantastic themes (seriously, every television series in the 60's had amazing themes...Star Trek, Green Acres, Beverly Hillbillies, The Andy Griffith Show, etc)! I actually somewhat enjoyed the movie even though it was a complete mess in terms of capturing the feel and tone of the show. Hey, don't you think Robert Conrad and Ross Martin would have been a great Captain Kirk and Dr. McCoy?

I was actually never a fan of Star Trek. The only sci fi type shows I've ever enjoyed are the original Twilight Zone and Outer Limits. Not the remake in the 80s - that was just a joke! I always liked Star Trek more than Star Wars (I thought SW was too predictable) but I didn't like William Shatner. Robert Conrad would've been so much better :) I was all for Leonard Nimoy and George Takei though. But I actually liked the version with Jonathan Frakes and Patrick Stewart better.

Juneau Biscuits

Original Poster
I was actually never a fan of Star Trek. The only sci fi type shows I've ever enjoyed are the original Twilight Zone and Outer Limits. Not the remake in the 80s - that was just a joke! I always liked Star Trek more than Star Wars (I thought SW was too predictable) but I didn't like William Shatner. Robert Conrad would've been so much better :) I was all for Leonard Nimoy and George Takei though. But I actually liked the version with Jonathan Frakes and Patrick Stewart better.
Love both Twilight Zone and Outer Limits...although I use to freak out from just the opening theme of the Outer Limits...LOL!
I actually thought William Shatner was the greatest actor alive growing up. My dad smiled and said nothing when I told him that...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom