Magic Band Check at Wilderness Lodge

Seanual757

Maybe it's a special perk because you purchased DVC there, and doesn't apply to all VGF/GF guests.

Just in case someone reads this and thinks they can use the lava pool while staying at GF..wouldn't want them to try and not be able to get in. :)

not sure I will ask next time we head over to the Poly

wdwfan22

Original Poster
Just passing on the info we got from Disney DVC when we purchased the Poly the guy closing our contract noticed we had the GF and he mentioned this. I would expect someone who has been working for Disney and DVC for over 25 years would know and not just giving me a line of BS after all we already spent the $$$ and he was not the only one in the room from DVC at the time (2 others were as well)

Disney Vacation Club just retooled the pool hopping exclusion list and added Polynesian pools to the list. So at one time you were able to hop but that is no longer the case.

Disvillain63

I can see how that may be confusing. Although they do say "check with hotel front desk" underneath, so that would give a little clue. It is vague though.

I know for sure that Poly's beaches are "for registered guests only" but I also know for sure that it is rarely enforced. On holidays it is though, guests are given bracelets similar to what the OP described. I thought they were becoming more strict about this at all of the resorts since the alligator incident. Maybe not.

Oh I'm glad that is encouraged! We will be visiting WL and eating at Whispering Canyon (both firsts for me) this year and I'm excited to see their Christmas decorations! I don't plan on going to their beach and use their chairs though.lol I think Disney just hopes we use common courtesy in a lot of areas. It would be nice if people used it everywhere.
We have watched the EWP and fireworks from Poly's beach many times. We have also watched EWP from the docks at the Contemporary and WL. The first time we had no clue, as it was our first visit, so we asked at the front desk and they told us. Cast members have been in the area and have not said a thing. In fact, we have had some nice conversations with them.

It almost sounds as if you're offended that guests may visit a resort in which they are not staying.

21stamps

We have watched the EWP and fireworks from Poly's beach many times. We have also watched EWP from the docks at the Contemporary and WL. The first time we had no clue, as it was our first visit, so we asked at the front desk and they told us. Cast members have been in the area and have not said a thing. In fact, we have had some nice conversations with them.

It almost sounds as if you're offended that guests may visit a resort in which they are not staying.
No not at all offended. Like I said in my previous post, we will be visiting WL this trip, as well as just hopping around the monorail to look at Christmas decorations and eating/drinking.
I just think people should be respectful. If it's not crowded- great, no problem. If it is crowded, the no, I don't think people should use up the chairs. Imagine if 100 people, not staying there, all decided to go watch from the Poly beach- probably not too comfortable. We watch Wishes/EWP from our room or the pool, but if I was there July 4th or New Years we would probably go to the beach just for the atmosphere. There's a reason on those days that they do enforce the rules, I would think that anyone would agree with that, or hopefully at least.

I don't think any guest, at any resort, should use a pool at a different resort, period. If you want to use a certain pool -choose that resort when you are booking your trip.
Unless you are DVC and visiting the pools on that list.

So many people try to "take advantage" of things that it creates a problem for other people who actually are respectful. Look around the internet, 1 example- people plan to park at certain resorts while they go to MK, but they don't want to pay for valet, so they use a dining reservation to leave their car there. Even if they valet there is still no reason that someone should leave a vehicle at a resort while at a park. I think that is being more heavily enforced now, as it should be. Wherever you go to visit in life you should be mindful that other people do exist there as well.

Last edited:

jenos0524

No not at all offended. Like I said in my previous post, we will be visiting WL this trip, as well as just hopping around the monorail to look at Christmas decorations and eating/drinking.
I just think people should be respectful. If it's not crowded- great, no problem. If it is crowded, the no, I don't think people should use up the chairs. Imagine if 100 people, not staying there, all decided to go watch from the Poly beach- probably not too comfortable. We watch Wishes/EWP from our room or the pool, but if I was there July 4th or New Years we would probably go to the beach just for the atmosphere. There's a reason on those days that they do enforce the rules, I would think that anyone would agree with that, or hopefully at least.

I don't think any guest, at any resort, should use a pool at a different resort, period. If you want to use a certain pool -choose that resort when you are booking your trip.
Unless you are DVC and visiting the pools on that list.

So many people try to "take advantage" of things that it creates a problem for other people who actually are respectful. Look around the internet, 1 example- people plan to park at certain resorts while they go to MK, but they don't want to pay for valet, so they use a dining reservation to leave their car there. Even if they valet there is still no reason that someone should leave a vehicle at a resort while at a park. I think that is being more heavily enforced now, as it should be. Wherever you go to visit in life you should be mindful that other people do exist there as well.

I agree on the parking and pools... I am staying at WL next month, and if I could pool hop maybe i would have decided to stay somewhere different.

However the beach thing I never knew. Although last time i stayed at the poly was when my parents took my family 25+ years ago. Last time I went I stayed at the AKL and this time I plan on trying to visit to see some of the animals and eat dinner there. So hopefully that is still ok. Does anyone know if you can still the the EWP from the WL? I was planning on trying to go to the Poly beach to view it one night, but if it is suppose to be for just guests at Poly, I can just try to view it from WL. (I know the beach is in the construction zone).

21stamps

I agree on the parking and pools... I am staying at WL next month, and if I could pool hop maybe i would have decided to stay somewhere different.

However the beach thing I never knew. Although last time i stayed at the poly was when my parents took my family 25+ years ago. Last time I went I stayed at the AKL and this time I plan on trying to visit to see some of the animals and eat dinner there. So hopefully that is still ok. Does anyone know if you can still the the EWP from the WL? I was planning on trying to go to the Poly beach to view it one night, but if it is suppose to be for just guests at Poly, I can just try to view it from WL. (I know the beach is in the construction zone).
Oh don't change your plans over it! I think an evening at Trader Sam's followed by the EWP/fireworks would be great. I'm not employed by Disney and I'm also not saying that no one should watch from Poly!

We are staying at CR this trip, and I'm really looking forward to taking the boat to WL, eating at whispering canyon, and hopefully renting bikes to ride over to FW and see the campsites in their Christmas decorations.

We will be visiting Poly at least twice. Once for Ohana breakfast and another while I drink, read and relax while kiddo is on the Pirate Adventure cruise out of GF. Then we'll probably walk back to Poly for a dole whip before returning to CR.

I would think that hopefully you still have a good viewing are from WL for the EWP, the times are still listed for it. So do one there and one at Poly.

The main point to my posts is that I've read so many people online trying to "cheat the system" as in parking/now pool hopping/going to a resort for fireworks - then complaining when everyone in their party can't get a chair due to the new Bungalows shortening the beach. I just think that kind of stuff is ridiculous.

jenos0524

Oh don't change your plans over it! I think an evening at Trader Sam's followed by the EWP/fireworks would be great. I'm not employed by Disney and I'm also not saying that no one should watch from Poly!

We are staying at CR this trip, and I'm really looking forward to taking the boat to WL, eating at whispering canyon, and hopefully renting bikes to ride over to FW and see the campsites in their Christmas decorations.

We will be visiting Poly at least twice. Once for Ohana breakfast and another while I drink, read and relax while kiddo is on the Pirate Adventure cruise out of GF. Then we'll probably walk back to Poly for a dole whip before returning to CR.

I would think that hopefully you still have a good viewing are from WL for the EWP, the times are still listed for it. So do one there and one at Poly.

The main point to my posts is that I've read so many people online trying to "cheat the system" as in parking/now pool hopping/going to a resort for fireworks - then complaining when everyone in their party can't get a chair due to the new Bungalows shortening the beach. I just think that kind of stuff is ridiculous.

Yea i prob wont change my plans, but just incase a cast member tells me I cant be there... I would leave. I don't want to be one of those entitled people that say "I spent $XXX on this trip i can do what i want" I am all for the resort hoping and always understood the pools were for guests. (being at WL i don't want other hotel guests coming to my pool)... honestly i really don't care, I just would feel really bad for the people at Beach/Yacht club. Can you still rent bikes at WL? you may want to check. I thought I saw that they moved them to a different spot, but i cant remember. Worst case scenario is you go to WL, eat walk around a bit, take the boat to FW and then rent bikes there.

I would love to try Trader Sams, but isn't it really a bar? I will have my almost 3 year old with me, prob not the best place for a girl her age. I have my Ohana breakfast ADR and a Kona Cafe Lunch ADR booked, so I will be visiting a ton of resorts this trip.

I will be visiting FW/Contemporary/GF/Poly/Beach & Yacht Club/Port Orleans Riverside/AKL and of course WL where i will be staying.

21stamps

Yea i prob wont change my plans, but just incase a cast member tells me I cant be there... I would leave. I don't want to be one of those entitled people that say "I spent $XXX on this trip i can do what i want" I am all for the resort hoping and always understood the pools were for guests. (being at WL i don't want other hotel guests coming to my pool)... honestly i really don't care, I just would feel really bad for the people at Beach/Yacht club. Can you still rent bikes at WL? you may want to check. I thought I saw that they moved them to a different spot, but i cant remember. Worst case scenario is you go to WL, eat walk around a bit, take the boat to FW and then rent bikes there.

I would love to try Trader Sams, but isn't it really a bar? I will have my almost 3 year old with me, prob not the best place for a girl her age. I have my Ohana breakfast ADR and a Kona Cafe Lunch ADR booked, so I will be visiting a ton of resorts this trip.

I will be visiting FW/Contemporary/GF/Poly/Beach & Yacht Club/Port Orleans Riverside/AKL and of course WL where i will be staying.

The bolded is exactly what I'm talking about. No regard for anyone else because "I spent money". Yes, I think it's after 7 that it's adult only. I would love to sit on the terrace there one evening, my child is also young, so not happening for quite some time. I thought I read that the bikes had moved but still available, not sure. We won't be there until December so hopefully will have an accurate update before then. Have a wonderful trip!

21stamps

You just take the boat. I've gone from WL to other hotels to swim, for my kids benefit I don't really care.

For that matter you could go to MK in the morning and when you get tired go hit the monorail back to the resorts to go swimming in their pools. Couple of hours later head back to MK. There are many ways you can use WDW property in ways not intended.
There's also many ways you can do things like that outside of Disney. It's wrong anywhere.

People should be able to regulate themselves and respect others. I don't know why it's viewed differently at Disney. Not talking about visiting a resort or taking a mid day break for a lunch at a monorail resort, but I guess that's why they're requiring magic band access to the pools now.

bunnyman

Biggest problem is there are now too many DVC guests to all go hopping without restrictions. I've been to WDW every year since 1990, and hopping has never even been a thought. As to Magic Band pool access, I have no problem with it. I'm paying to stay at a certain resort, and I don't want to get crowded out by guests not staying there.

Innkeeper's Club

Hmm, we were at GF and BWI during June and neither feature pool checked magic bands or supplied paper wristbands.. I remember last summer we stayed at POLY in July and you had to use the MB to access the Lava Pool, which most of the time I was waiting for someone to exit because the thing wouldn't read mine.
When I have stayed at the BWI and went to the Luna Park pool on a weekend, the Lifeguard Cast Members were definitely scanning our MagicBands making sure we were staying at BWI/BVW.

During my family stay last December and in April The Beach Club has someone checking magic bands and putting on paper like wrist
bands before you go into pool area. I have stayed at the The Beach Club my last 9 visits and they have always done this. The Grand
Floridian has never done that when I have stayed there. I can see why they have to do this. As a guest at one of the Disney Hotels I would be upset if it was crowded with non on site guest and made my pool experience a bad one.

bunnyman

During my family stay last December and in April The Beach Club has someone checking magic bands and putting on paper like wrist
bands before you go into pool area. I have stayed at the The Beach Club my last 9 visits and they have always done this. The Grand
Floridian has never done that when I have stayed there. I can see why they have to do this. As a guest at one of the Disney Hotels I would be upset if it was crowded with non on site guest and made my pool experience a bad one.

Stormalong Bay at the BC/YC is marketed to those resorts' guests as a mini-water park, so they've always been very popular. Having stayed at both resorts, my family has spent much more time in that pool complex than we do at other resorts. Given the location close to EPCOT and not that far from the Studios I'm sure they had problems in the past with non-hotel park guests availing themselves of the pool complex.

Innkeeper's Club

These were not guests of the Yacht Club, Beach Club or Beach Club Villas but last August while staying at the Boardwalk Inn I remember speaking to this family that got special pool hopping privileges to Stormalong Bay. They were originally supposed to stay at the Beach Club Villas and there was some problem with their room and it would not be available, so they were bumped to Club Level at the Boardwalk Inn and were still given access to Stormalong Bay. In the end did they make a difference with the number of people there considering they were supposed to stay at the Beach Club Villas, I highly doubt it and I don't think anyone else there knew they were not staying there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom