Looking for the truth about Value Resorts

Prince-1

My 2 cents is ask yourself if you plan to stay at the parks all day and only use the hotel for sleeping and getting ready for the parks. If that's the case then Value is great. If you tend to use the hotel to relax and unwind then what the others have said about the crazy crowds, small rooms, and maybe some more visible wear and tear might convince you to go to the next level of resorts.

itsbetsyh

Loved AoA. Made the mistake of thinking all Values were like that and was unpleasantly surprised when we on the spur of the moment (on the way there) booked All Star Movies. If I would've known it was of that quality, I would've stayed at the Hyatt Grand Cypress for the same price. It wasn't that it was dirty...it was just old and we were just coming off a stay at POR. I'd like to try Pop still. Probably never an All Star again though.

TinkerBelle8878

I've stayed deluxe, moderate, off-site, and at All Star Sports. The first time staying Value, shortly after the All Stars first opened, it was nice for what it was. In 2009 however, it was a completely different story. It seemed like such a nickel and diming with no towels at the pool (or anything bigger than a face towel in the room), very spotty mousekeeping, and not quite the 'Disney' level of upkeep and maitanence. I vowed I wouldn't stay value again. I'd either do Swan/Dolphin for just a tiny bit more money and way more amentities or off site.

RedDad

Smitty Werben JagerManJensen
We've stayed at both value and deluxe multiple times, and I would not hesitate to stay at a value again - IF the conditions were right. Our rules for staying at a value:
1. It has to be "off-season". While this seems to be more elusive these days, there are times when the parks are far less crowded. The values can be very crowded, and the bus system can be a hassle when the parks are full. You also have to watch out for large groups like Pop Warner and the tour groups during off-season, which typically stay in values. Just do your research.
2. We have our own car, and can avoid the bus system when we want.
3. We're staying for a relatively short time (less than 5 days or so). When we stay for longer periods, we like to spend time at the resort and pools. If we're trying to save money, we'll do a split stay, and move to a nicer hotel halfway through the trip.

The value hotels are great for an inexpensive trip, and as long as you know what to expect you won't be disappointed. To be honest, the rooms at many of the deluxe hotels are nothing special - you're paying for proximity to the parks and other amenities like the pools. Our next stay is likely going to be AoA, as we want to see the new resort and the pool/water play area looks amazing.

MikeTaylorSound

Our anniversary is in May, so the crowds aren't too bad when we go (plus, we catch the tail end of the Flower & Garden Festival). We stayed at POR mid-June, our first experience at a non-value resort. It was definitely quieter, more laid back than what we've experienced at the All-Star resorts, and the main pool had a slide (and hot tub for adults). What really stood out to me was the close proximity to MK, EPCOT, TL, and DD (we took the water taxi, too!), which is a negative about the All-Star resorts-they are located in Animal Kingdom and the tram rides are longer to more parks. If we stay at another value resort, it would most likely be one that is closer to the Magic Kingdom and EPCOT like AoA or Pop Century.

sbkline

I haven't read every reply, so pardon me if someone else has already made the point I am going to make. But from a price standpoint, be careful about the Value Resorts. We tend to stay in the moderates, and every time I look into a Value Resort, I find that the price difference is not nearly as significant as the difference between a moderate and a Deluxe. But then on top of that, you have to consider the discounts that are normally released, whether it be a general public discount, AP discount or Disney Visa Card holder discount.

In general (there are always some exceptions of course), I have noticed that the moderate resorts often give 25% discounts. The discounts for the Values are not uniform for all of the Values. I have seen All Star Movies only offer a 5% discount and Pop Century a 20% discount. Art of Animation is so new that I have never seen a discount on their regular rooms, only the suites. So how does this translate into the bottom line price? I recently called WDW to inquire about prices for next year's trip, in June. I initally priced a 12 night stay, but I have since decided that 11 nights will be sufficient. But the same principle should apply regardless of how many nights. Here are the hotels that I priced, with the non-discounted price:

Port Orleans Riverside: $2,646
Art of Animation standard room: $2,178.04
Pop Century: $2,042.96
All Star Movies: $1,916.48

Here are the new amounts with the discounts that I often see available for each resort on www.mousesavers.com:

Port Orleans with 25% discount: $1984.50
Art of Animation with no discount: $2,178.04 (so now you're paying MORE for a value than a moderate)
Pop Century with 15% discount: $1,736.52
Pop Century with 20% discount: $1,634.37
All Star Movies with 5% discount: $1,820.66

Now, those prices might not be exact once you factor in the sales tax adjustment, but the point still stands. In my example of the 12 night stay that I priced, Port Orleans Riverside was actually CHEAPER than Art of Animation, and it was only negligeably higher than Pop Century and All Star Movies. When you factor in the discounts, you only save about $160 by staying at ASM and you only save two or three hundred dollars staying at POP. Not that I want to minimize 300 dollars as every bit helps, but when it comes to a 12 night stay, another 300 doesn't seem like that much of a savings. But long story short, it just doesn't seem like the "Value" resorts live up to their name when they aren't really all that much cheaper than a moderate. For the negligeable amount of savings, you may as well just pay slightly more and stay in the moderate...unless you are thinking about Art of Animation (which you are), in which case, you SAVE money staying at a moderate.

So go to mousesavers.com and check your discounts. Could be that you can stay at a moderate for less than a value, or for only slightly more than a value.

dopeylover

I have to be upfront and say it's been over a decade since I've stayed at a Value. When I did, it was ASM, and though it would not be my #1 choice, it was tolerable for sure. If you're used to a Mod or Deluxe, I'm not going to lie and say you won't know a difference, b/c you will.

That being said, MANY people here love AoA and Pop, and I have close friends who swear by Pop and never stay anywhere else. As for me? Unless I got some incredible deal, I would not stay at a Value. It's vacation, and I don't mind splurging a little to have something I like. We're POR people all the way right now. And, as also stated, with certain discounts you're actually spending MORE at a Value.

I have just heard too many stories about crazy tour groups and thin walls for me to be convinced that saving a little money is worth it. But it's WDW no matter what, it's all what you make of it, and you'll have a great time no matter what!

steviej

I'm the son of dvc owners and marrying into a dvc owning family, so as you can imagine, I've stayed at a ton of dvc resorts, the best of the best at Disney.

I have taken trips with friends and stayed at all stars and pop and never had a problem. I was perfectly happy with it.

BoarderPhreak

You won't stay at any Disney property and think, "man, what a dump." That said, temper your expectations as to the overall amenities and size of the rooms for the price paid. Personally, I've never stayed at a value resort and likely never will. Not because of any perceptions or because they're "budget" digs... I just find the decorations, etc. to be way too gaudy...

MerMom1981

Original Poster
You won't stay at any Disney property and think, "man, what a dump." That said, temper your expectations as to the overall amenities and size of the rooms for the price paid. Personally, I've never stayed at a value resort and likely never will. Not because of any perceptions or because they're "budget" digs... I just find the decorations, etc. to be way too gaudy...

I totally agree about the decor. I'm an interior designer, so the garish design choices at AoA are pretty offensive to my sensibilities, which is why I chose POFQ for our first trip. It was the most tasteful looking resort. (I have to end my critique now or else I'll go off the rails!) But I'm trying to look at this place through my kid's eyes, and it looks pretty freakin' exciting! It's hard to set aside my own standards and go for what looks fun, bit I'm gonna try!

popcenturylover

We stayed at POP in 09' & we had a split stay at AOA/POP last September. Our DD4 loved both resorts especially the LMRs at AOA! We stay at value because it's less expensive & don't spend much time in the room anyway. We are going to try POR in December though, because we will have our older DD & DGS1 with us along with DD4. So, we needed a bit more room this time!

BoarderPhreak

I totally agree about the decor. I'm an interior designer, so the garish design choices at AoA are pretty offensive to my sensibilities, which is why I chose POFQ for our first trip. It was the most tasteful looking resort. (I have to end my critique now or else I'll go off the rails!) But I'm trying to look at this place through my kid's eyes, and it looks pretty freakin' exciting! It's hard to set aside my own standards and go for what looks fun, bit I'm gonna try!
Absolutely. If you have kids, then yeah - the Pop/AoA resorts take on a totally different appeal. And they're what the trip is about - not you... :)

hull327

The deal breaker for me with the Values is the double beds. I'm only in my resort room from about 11PM to 7AM but my wife and I can't do anything smaller than a queen bed and both of us are slender.

jaklgreen

Really kids do not care what hotel they stay in. They are happy with any hotel with a pool so I would not make my hotel decision based on what my kids "would like". They are going to WDW after all. We stayed at Pop 1 night before our cruise and that was enough to keep us away from all values. People were out at all hours of the night kids running around unsupervised, beer bottles in the bushes, trash on the ground. After more then 25 visits all staying at a WDW hotel I have never seen any of that at another hotel. POFQ is our hotel of choice both for price and service. My kids are very happy there and love the pool. The night we stayed at POP my kids then10 &11 both could not believe how bad the resort was compared to where we usually stay and actually did not like the super big theme they have. I know people stay there and love it but I think after staying at POFQ or any other moderate, you will be disappointed in a value.

smurphy28

We stayed at the All Star Sports this past May and had a great trip.

This was my first trip to Disney in 10 years, and overall I was impressed with the resort. I didn't notice any upkeep issues to be alarmed about. We requested a king sized bed, close to the main building and the room was perfect. The pools, our room, and the main building seemed clean and well kept.

We did have a few minor housekeeping issues during our stay, but I think that could have happened at any resort.

Overall, don't be afraid of the value resorts. They are well maintained and have a lively atmosphere. I wouldn't hesitate to return to a value resort based on my experience.

Tomi-Rocket

We've stayed in all three types of properties Disney has to offer and we have thoroughly enjoyed ALL of them. No problems with the rooms, mousekeeping or staff. Rooms have always been clean and comfortable. That being said my kids are too big for us to stay at a standard room at a value. This year we are going to ASMusic and staying in a family suite. As much as I desperately wanted to stay at the AoA finances forced us to scale it back. But I am excited to try the ASMusic and the family suites there! 143 days to go....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom