LDS/ mormon dorms

ldsprincess

Original Poster
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">hey! i just got back from a week long youth activity type thing for church and had a great time. one of our counselors, named Jeffrey, had just gotten back from doing the CP in may. i was sooo excited to talk to him because i'm dying to do the CP! anyway, i asked him a couple questions, and he said that they have special housing for LDS students? does anyone know about this or has anyone stayed there? i'd love any info that anyone can offer! thanks!
~Renee
</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
I know plenty of LDS CP's, and I don't believe they offer LDS housing. Maybe he was referring to wellness (sober) housing?

maelstrom

Yeah, there's no housing specifically for LDS cast members. Like MKT said, your counselour may have been referring to the wellness dorms, where there is no drinking allowed, over 21 or not. If they had special housing for LDS cast members, they'd have to have special housing for Jewish, Pagan, Muslim, Catholic, etc cast members, and that just isn't happening.

bsummer

Actually...if you go to Brigham Young (sp.?)...it is in the contract between the school and Disney that all of their students have to be placed together in the same buildings..still in the same housing complexes...but all together and all in wellness. If Disney didnt do this, BU won't let Disney recruit there! I know several of the students living there right now...I think it's building part of 24 and 25 in Chatham.

ldsprincess

Original Poster
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off"></TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Actually...if you go to Brigham Young (sp.?)...it is in the contract between the school and Disney that all of their students have to be placed together in the same buildings..still in the same housing complexes...but all together and all in wellness. If Disney didnt do this, BU won't let Disney recruit there! I know several of the students living there right now...I think it's building part of 24 and 25 in Chatham.

oh, ok. that's cool. do you have to go to BYU to be in the same part of the building? i guess so, hu? anyway, thanks for the info guys!
~Renee

Yellow Shoes

I find this quite interesting.

Just yesterday I heard a story about the "mainstreaming" of Mormonism with the candidacy of Mitt Romney.

Segregated dorms doesn't seem to fit into any effort to make Mormonism less "scary" to Gentiles.

Testtrack321

That's.... creepy. How about if you want to mainstream your religion, don't shelter your kids, pressure them into doing 2 years of service for the church, and maybe not controlling the boy scouts, eh?

But as was said earlier, special dorms for Mormons seems out of the question. I know that if you are under 21 and your room is caught with alcohol, someone has to claim responsibility or the whole room is fired and let go, which is why BYU probably wants their kids all together...

kcw

That's.... creepy. How about if you want to mainstream your religion, don't shelter your kids, pressure them into doing 2 years of service for the church, and maybe not controlling the boy scouts, eh?

But as was said earlier, special dorms for Mormons seems out of the question. I know that if you are under 21 and your room is caught with alcohol, someone has to claim responsibility or the whole room is fired and let go, which is why BYU probably wants their kids all together...

wow, well I'm not going to start a religious debate on these boards, but I will say that if you don't know anything about another religion, then you are in no place to knock it and pass judgement. Either get informed or keep your mouth closed.

That said, there is a building in Chatham that is mostly LDS students, they are from BYU, and BYU has asked (not demanded, contracted, threatened whatever else) that they be placed together. This is not to be exclusive, or to segregate, or whatever else you want to call it. For one, students that attend BYU have specific requirements for the housing situations that they live it. Since Chatham and Vista Way don't meet those, having at least a building set aside is a good compromise. Also, it is another way for those students to have other roomates who have the same way of life, morals, habits etc. Why is that so wrong?

So renee hopefully that helps- yes they kinda have it, but I believe you have to go to BYU. If you live in wellness though you should have no problems- I had wonderful roomates!! and everyone else that feels the need to criticize the LDS religion, even when it has nothing to do with her question, please just drop it. We don't criticize any other religions, so please have the courtesy to do the same for us. And instead of just believing what the pop culture tells you about our religion, maybe take the time to find out for yourself?! Just a thought.

Religion issue is now dropped.... back to Disney!!

maelstrom

Also, it is another way for those students to have other roomates who have the same way of life, morals, habits etc. Why is that so wrong?

Because part of the college program is meeting and learning to live with people who you've never met and are different from yourself, and to expand your world a little bit. You can't do all that if you're all living relatively the same life at home. I can't tell Disney that I want to live with only agnostic atheist computer geeks who sleep a lot (same way of life, morals, habits, etc), so I don't think LDS college program kids should be able to do it either. It has nothing to do with being LDS; I'd say the same for any religion. I personally wouldn't even want to live with a bunch of other agnostic atheists. I think it'd be pretty cool if I had roommates who were LDS, Muslim, and Jewish, so I could learn what they're all about and widen my world.

Because part of the college program is meeting and learning to live with people who you've never met and are different from yourself, and to expand your world a little bit. You can't do all that if you're all living relatively the same life at home. I can't tell Disney that I want to live with only agnostic atheist computer geeks who sleep a lot (same way of life, morals, habits, etc), so I don't think LDS college program kids should be able to do it either. It has nothing to do with being LDS; I'd say the same for any religion. I personally wouldn't even want to live with a bunch of other agnostic atheists. I think it'd be pretty cool if I had roommates who were LDS, Muslim, and Jewish, so I could learn what they're all about and widen my world.

The seperation between BYU students and the rest of the CPers really has nothing to do with the fact that most of them are LDS. BYU has strict housing regulations that they expect their students to follow. Since BYU gives credit to it's students who do the CP, they have requested that their students are housed together so that the same regulations can be applied. Any school could in theory ask for the same thing, and I'm sure Disney would honor their wishes.

There are plenty of LDS people on the CP and the CS (I was one of them, as were several of my Custodial coworkers) who aren't from BYU, and thus are spread throughout Vista Way and Chatham.

Yellow Shoes

OK--it's been alluded to twice.

What exacatly ARE the specific housing requirements for BYU students, and why are they impossible to maintain whilst living with Gentiles?

DDuckFan130

Didn't Julie from Real World New Orleans go against BYU and eventually got kicked out for totally going against their housing guidelines...you know moving in with a bunch of guys and all? :lol:

:lookaroun

What exacatly ARE the specific housing requirements for BYU students, and why are they impossible to maintain whilst living with Gentiles?

Well, I've never actually been a student at BYU, so I'm not sure exactly. No drinking, no smoking, things like that. I can ask my friend who is currently housed at Chatham in the BYU building for specifics if you like.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult

What in the world are you talking about?

I spent a great deal of my childhood in the scouting program from cub scouts through the Explorer program, including earning my Eagle scout badge. I also spent time working at a regional summer camp program for two summers.

I am not Mormon and I have never felt any influence from the Mormon church in ANY dealings with the scouting program.

kcw

you're twisting words to make us sound bad and you sound right. I understand living with different people and different cultures etc. I've lived away from home my freshman year of college and then on the CP- neither time did I have any LDS roomates. But, they all still had similar standards and morals. I learned so much from them and it was a great experience. What I am talking about though, is say the experience I had with my first roomate down in FL. The one who smoked pot, hid it in our room, brought her boyfriend home with her to spend the nights..... not exactly things that I want to be living with. It didn't matter what her religion was. It was a difference in morals. She was termed so it worked itself out but... <o:p></o:p>[/COLOR]

the standards that would apply to this situation have to do with having men and women living in the same building.. I'm sure there are a few more, but I am not a student at BYU either, and am not positive on the specifics

and why do you keep phrasing your responses as to imply that LDS people are not Gentiles...?? we're not aliens you know... Same as everybody else...

Laura

Premium Member
and why do you keep phrasing your responses as to imply that LDS people are not Gentiles...?? we're not aliens you know... Same as everybody else...

Maybe because the definition of Gentiles is "non-Mormon"? :rolleyes:

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Maybe because the definition of Gentiles is "non-Mormon"? :rolleyes:
Only to American Mormons...

Gentiles

<!--tt=51 bi=x su=x fa=x hu=n au=y--> <!--off-->
(Hebrew Gôyîm; Greek ethne, ethnikoi, Hellenes; <!--stripped-->Vulgate Gentes, <!--stripped-->Gentiles, Graeci).
<!--stripped-->A word of Latin origin and usually employed in the plural. In the English versions of both Testaments it collectively designates the nations distinct from the Jewish people. The basis of this distinction is that, as descendants of Abraham, the Jews considered themselves, and were in fact, before the coming of Christ, the chosen people of God<!--stripped-->. As the non-Jewish nations did not worship the true God<!--stripped--> and generally indulged in immoral practices, the term Gôyîm "Gentiles" has often times in the Sacred Writings, in the Talmud, etc., a disparaging meaning. Since the spread of Christianity, the word Gentiles designates, in theological parlance, those who are neither Jews nor Christians. In the United States, the Mormons use it of persons not belonging to their sect.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult

I was wondering about that myself. I've never heard Gentile being used except when discussing Jewish vs. Gentile.

It makes it sound like LDS isn't a Christian religion. :shrug:

Yellow Shoes

and why do you keep phrasing your responses as to imply that LDS people are not Gentiles...?? .

LDS people are not Gentiles.

Sorry--I thought you were LDS and therefore familiar with the terminology.

I've heard that term used for non-Mormons forever. Personally I find it slightly pejorative and absolutely hinting at an us-vs.-them mentality.

However, I didn't choose it; I only use it.

kcw

LDS people are not Gentiles.

Sorry--I thought you were LDS and therefore familiar with the terminology.

I've heard that term used for non-Mormons forever. Personally I find it slightly perjorative and absolutely hinting at an us vs. them mentality.

However, I didn't choose it; I only use it.

yes, I am Mormon, I do know what Gentile means, and I also know that the terminology gets very complicated. In the bible, it is referred to as Jew and Gentile. Since we are not Jew, then we are Gentile. I'm am LDS, and I'm a Gentile. I'll keep it simple. And most members of the church refer to ourselves as such. I'm not going to get into an in-depth discussion of it on a disney message board. Especially since I tried to end this once already.

and unkadug, yes, the LDS religion is a Christian religion. A Christian is one who believes in Christ. The full name of our church is The Church Of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. LDS for short, and Mormons is just a nickname we've been given.

Will all those that don't know anything about our religion please stop spouting off "beliefs" and "facts" that you've just heard? And no offense, but I promise you that you don't know more about the LDS religion than I do. I have been living it for 20 years, you have not. It's very simple :animwink:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom