LDS/ mormon dorms

DDuckFan130

For the record, I'm Catholic, but I know I don't know it all...I probably know very little compared to others :shrug:

:lookaroun

What was the original question?

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Mormons have themselves adopted the word Gentile to define anyone not of their faith...something I didn't know before reading this thread caused me to do a little research. :lol:

So within the context of Mormonism, that definition is Gentile is appropriate.
my view is coming from my Catholic/pre-roman Christian upbringing :)

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
For the record, I'm Catholic, but I know I don't know it all...I probably know very little compared to others :shrug:

What was the original question?

Pope Hitler... err, Benedict XVI

Great Pope, or the Greatest Pope :lookaroun

[/Colbert]

kcw

I would guess it has to do with the fact that LDS's trace their lineage back to Abraham, and thus consider themselves Jews either by direct descent or adoption into the church. Thus, anyone not a Jew or a Mormon could be considered a Gentile.

But the fact that so many Mormons in this thread are puzzled by the usage supports the idea that it's generally not used these days.

yes, it has to do with adoption and Abraham's lineage. that's why I said there's more to it, but to keep things simple and not confuse anyone, I gave the answer I did. And people still got confused.... :dazzle:

comics, don't worry... you're a gentile.

comics101

yes, it has to do with adoption and Abraham's lineage. that's why I said there's more to it, but to keep things simple and not confuse anyone, I gave the answer I did. And people still got confused.... :dazzle:

comics, don't worry... you're a gentile.

got it, thanks.

Wilt Dasney

I'm generally a fan of more information to eliminate questions, not less. That's why I did a little digging here. :D

Laura

Premium Member
Laura, love you... however, Mormonism/LDS is Christianity... as completely opposite it may be from Catholicism, Baptism, Church of England, etc.. they still hold the faith in christ at their lord and saviour.

That being said, Gentile is a person who is not jewish or who is Christian. They're Gentiles in my opinion.

It wasn't an opinion. :lol: It's the actual definition.

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    19.9 KB · Views: 27

Yellow Shoes

Whether you define (denotation) "Gentile" as a non-Jew or a non-Mormon, a common usage (connotation) is that of insider vs. outsider.

The Law that ancient Jews followed, as codified in Leviticus and Deuteronomy, served to set them apart from the society in which they lived.
Think about it for a moment: specific and intricate rituals regarding washing, food preparation, male infant rituals, and Sabbath rest would make you stand out from a pagan culture.

That was the point of the Law--to remind the Hebrews of the covenant they had with God. "I shall be your God and you shall be my People."

The LDS church identifies with the Hebrew Scriptures (Old Testament) much more heavily than other Christian denominations. Part of this reason has to do with the Mormon belief that Christianity as practiced before Joseph Smith's revelation was corrupt and not the religion God intended.
(Many Christians want little to do with the Old Testament, preferring to believe that if it happened before Jesus, it isn't important.)

It would follow that Mormons would want that kind of set-apart-ness that the ancient Israelites had. And we do see that in the church today.

In fact, the original question about Mormon Dorms addresses that desire to be "in the world but not of it."

Which brings us back to the term "Gentile." It is a term historically used to differentiate between us and them.

And while its use to define non-Mormons is more limited than its use to define non-Jews, it is still a valid (although perhaps less well known) use of the word. My guess is that it is used far more often in the Mormon culture than in the world as a whole.

And back to MY original question:
What would be different about LDS CP housing??

kcw

Whether you define (denotation) "Gentile" as a non-Jew or a non-Mormon, a common usage (connotation) is that of insider vs. outsider.

The Law that ancient Jews followed, as codified in Leviticus and Deuteronomy, served to set them apart from the society in which they lived.
Think about it for a moment: specific and intricate rituals regarding washing, food preparation, male infant rituals, and Sabbath rest would make you stand out from a pagan culture.

That was the point of the Law--to remind the Hebrews of the covenant they had with God. "I shall be your God and you shall be my People."

The LDS church identifies with the Hebrew Scriptures (Old Testament) much more heavily than other Christian denominations. Part of this reason has to do with the Mormon belief that Christianity as practiced before Joseph Smith's revelation was corrupt and not the religion God intended.
(Many Christians want little to do with the Old Testament, preferring to believe that if it happened before Jesus, it isn't important.)

It would follow that Mormons would want that kind of set-apart-ness that the ancient Israelites had. And we do see that in the church today.

In fact, the original question about Mormon Dorms addresses that desire to be "in the world but not of it."

Which brings us back to the term "Gentile." It is a term historically used to differentiate between us and them.

And while its use to define non-Mormons is more limited than its use to define non-Jews, it is still a valid (although perhaps less well known) use of the word. My guess is that it is used far more often in the Mormon culture than in the world as a whole.

And back to MY original question:
What would be different about LDS CP housing??

Just because you use big words and know some history, doesn't mean you know exactly what you're talking about. Please just let it go, you're not getting anywhere. I've already answered the question about CP housing. If you were focusing on the OP's actual question, instead of wanting to thrash the LDS religion, you would have seen that. For a woman who is a little older, you'd think that you'd be smart enough to see through pop culture and media propaganda- as well as realizing that knocking and citicizing other religions probably isn't the best way to stay on God's good side- no matter what religion you associate yourself with. But just a thought...:animwink:

maelstrom

you're twisting words to make us sound bad and you sound right. I understand living with different people and different cultures etc. I've lived away from home my freshman year of college and then on the CP- neither time did I have any LDS roomates. But, they all still had similar standards and morals. I learned so much from them and it was a great experience. What I am talking about though, is say the experience I had with my first roomate down in FL. The one who smoked pot, hid it in our room, brought her boyfriend home with her to spend the nights..... not exactly things that I want to be living with. It didn't matter what her religion was. It was a difference in morals. She was termed so it worked itself out but...

What do I stand to gain from making Mormons sound bad? Nothing. That's not what I was trying to do at all; that's just what you wanted to see. In your life, you may be thrown together with people who have morals different from your own, and you need to learn to deal with that.

comics101

What do I stand to gain from making Mormons sound bad? Nothing. That's not what I was trying to do at all; that's just what you wanted to see. In your life, you may be thrown together with people who have morals different from your own, and you need to learn to deal with that.

True, but doesn't it help to be surrounded by people who have the same morals as you? For instance, in school I'm surrounded by all sorts of people with morals that are different than mine. I choose not to cuss, some choose to, I can't control that, but what I can control are the friends I have, and whether they are LDS, Athiest, Cathlioc(sp?) they too have chosen not to cuss, or drink or smoke or whatever. I can accept that not everyone has the same morals as mine and I do, and I don't necesaraly treat those kids any differently than my friends, I just don't hang out with them. Does this make since?

In your life, you may be thrown together with people who have morals different from your own, and you need to learn to deal with that.

As a CSer who roomed with two girls who constantly snuck alcohol into my apartment, another who was constantly swearing up a storm, and a third who was almost always in some state of being high (not to mention that they all smoked cigarettes), I certainly wouldn't have minded sharing an apartment with someone with similar morals...That's not to say I didn't love them to death. I just would have rather not been exposed to that all the time.

There is a difference between being "thrown together" with people who don't share your morals, and actually having to live with them. :wave:

kcw

In your life, you may be thrown together with people who have morals different from your own, and you need to learn to deal with that.

ah.....thank you for your words of wisdom.... what was I thinking???, I should have just learned to deal with her and her bf sleeping together in my bedroom.... and the cigarette smoke? I should have just dealt with the fact that it makes me sick. Oh, and the pot... yes I should have just dealt with that one too... And then when the cops would have come and found it, and then termed me as well as her, I would have just been able to say, oh well.... it's ok because at least I learned how to deal with it..

Uh... ya right. Like I already said, I'm not sheltered- I love the fact that this world is made up of people that are all so completely different. I loved living and working with people who had different cultural backgrounds, religions, experiences, views on life etc. But somewhere, I draw the line. Sorry that I don't just deal with things like that.

kcw

Guys, the original question is legitimate, but we are drifting into religious discussion which is against the rules.

in my defense.... I tried!! :lol:

wow, well I'm not going to start a religious debate on these boards, but I will say that if you don't know anything about another religion, then you are in no place to knock it and pass judgement. Either get informed or keep your mouth closed.

Religion issue is now dropped.... back to Disney!!

WDWFigment

Discussions like this remind me who vastly different the two 'camps' of CPers seem to be. You have the Disney-worshiping bunch who are there because the experience immerses them in the world of Disney and those who are there because they probably couldn't get any other internship and their school requires it. If they probably couldn't get any other internship, they probably earned those grades/academic records through a history of partying, etc. I'm not saying Mormons or any religious people by nature fit the first group, just that I think it's interesting how the hardcore party folks and the wellness folks coexist (or fail to coexist).

why on earth is this thread still going on if its against the rules?? :brick: none of you seem to be listening to each other and this kind of convo is as pointless as making someone see eye to eye on politics as you!!! just be the bigger person and stop debating this...please!!

anyways, is florida's weather good?!? :D we just got over some bad flooding here in kansas and im ready for some beautiful sunshine!!!!

also, i know this is a silly question but since we're on living arrangements, i'm turning 21 when im there!! is there no alcohol allowed at all in wellness apartments even if im of age? can i store it there but just not drink it while im there, or would my car be the best place? i dont wanna get terminated when im finally legal to do everything an american citizen can do!!! :shrug:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom