Kali River Rapids reopens.... and guess what??

Californian Elitist

Grizzly River Run at DCA is about to finish up with a refurb on the 28th. Hopefully its fate doesn't end up like Kali's, though I think it's been down longer than six weeks.

EDIT: It's been down for eight weeks. This is really sad, BTW. Hopefully George can possibly fix this.

ParentsOf4

With apparently yet another dumbed-down attraction and poor refurb at WDW, do we still need to listen to people compare Universal to Six Flags?

Over the last few years, it seems Universal is trying to become like WDW once was while WDW is trying to become like Six Flags is. Overstated of course, but it seems quality at Universal and WDW are converging, with Universal going in the right direction and WDW going in the wrong direction.

I'm still optimistic about Splash Mountain but why does every refurb at WDW need to beg the question: "Is WDW going to do the refurb the right way this time?"

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Love the queue. I was waiting with me my mom and we were taking pictures of ourselves pretending we were in Asia, hahaha!

The wetness of the ride is usually hit or miss. However, Popeye & Bluto's at Islands of Adventure is an unacceptable amount of wetness... I will usually ride KRRR, even if I don't want to get wet, I'll just try to dodge the water! On Popeye, there is no escaping.
Agreed. Popeye should be in a water park.

BryceM

With apparently yet another dumbed-down attraction and poor refurb at WDW, do we still need to listen to people compare Universal to Six Flags?

Over the last few years, it seems Universal is trying to become like WDW once was while WDW is trying to become like Six Flags is. Overstated of course, but it seems quality at Universal and WDW are converging, with Universal going in the right direction and WDW going in the wrong direction.

I'm still optimistic about Splash Mountain but why does every reburb at WDW need to beg the question: "Is WDW going to do the refurb the right way this time?"
If someone compares either Disney or Universal to Six Flags, they should be put on medication. Too bad that comparing Universal to Six Flags are some Disney-obsessive's way of putting down Universal. However, I believe you're right when it comes to actual maintenance. Disney is slipping, and it's obvious.

And I think WDW will get Splash Mountain right. It's such an iconic attraction and it was in such a sad state, there is no way they could possibly not give it the refurbishment it needs... Right?

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
My main gripe with it is that you don't get wet. In my experience, you have a 1 in 8 chance of getting wet. Pretty low odds for a ride that is wet. I will take Bluto's Bilge Rat at US any day.
If you want to get wet, then for sure you do not want me in your raft. I am the 1 in 8 that gets wet - soaked to the bone, go to the bathroom and wring out my clothes kind of wet. Bluto's Bilge Rat kind of wet.
I'm just "lucky" that way.

sweetpee_1993

If someone compares either Disney or Universal to Six Flags, they should be put on medication. Too bad that comparing Universal to Six Flags are some Disney-obsessive's way of putting down Universal. However, I believe you're right when it comes to actual maintenance. Disney is slipping, and it's obvious.

And I think WDW will get Splash Mountain right. It's such an iconic attraction and it was in such a sad state, there is no way they could possibly not give it the refurbishment it needs... Right?

Do you really want the answer to that question? Attractions in sad states does not a priority make for TDO. Is it possible they'll do it up right? It's always possible. The ability is there. The problem lies in their track record with these sorts of things. That's the big hope-killer.

BryceM

Do you really want the answer to that question? Attractions in sad states does not a priority make for TDO. Is it possible they'll do it up right? It's always possible. The ability is there. The problem lies in their track record with these sorts of things. That's the big hope-killer.
Exterior shots seem to show that it looks like its really getting what it needs. The inside is what I'm worried about...

ratherbeinwdw

If you want to get wet, then for sure you do not want me in your raft. I am the 1 in 8 that gets wet - soaked to the bone, go to the bathroom and wring out my clothes kind of wet. Bluto's Bilge Rat kind of wet.
I'm just "lucky" that way.
I wear a rain suit, I know-dork, but even with it I get a little wet. The water always finds a way through the hood.
I have never been on there where every person didn't get at least a little wet and at least half were soaked.
I think the weight distribution has something to do with who gets soaked. My daughter, her friend and I were the only ones in our raft last summer at early hours, and we got soaked because the weight kept us backward most of the trip and that's where you get the wettest.

RandySavage

I've always been a fan of Kali (I approach queues as being part of the overall attraction, so that may explain it). The pre-falls segment is much too short, but it's still among the best 2 or 3 rapids rides on the planet in the theme-ing category. So it is saddening to hear about the attraction losing things like the dense 'rainforest' foliage, the flame bursts, the teetering truck, backstage views being opened, etc. AK was my favorite park at WDW, but it's taken a beating in the last several years (Tree of Life paths now closed, loss of geyser finale to KS, Africa Trek compromising Safari, Disco Yeti, etc, etc.).

I'd rather remember AK in its Halcyon Days (2006-end of Yeti), then take my family to see it in its current diminished state.

grumpytodd

So, Kali opened after its 6 week refurb. Guess what? It's worse now than before. In a park where show quality is ignored its no surprise, but sadly it is another nail in the coffin of the level WDW once held itself to. And so...

The new attraction-wide paved evac path was only half completed.

Rafts were meant to be deep cleaned or replaced. Drainage holes that were too small were meant to be enlarged to prevent puddles on the floor. Only ONE was replaced and TWO refurbished. The other 21 still have drainage issues and a layer of mold and mildew on the skin.

The redesign of the entrance to prevent crowding and bottlenecks didn't happen. No new signs were added. All it got was paint on the height check sign and a new umbrella.

Except fire, which is now off the list for good, every effect was meant to be fixed. Instead the lift mist still doesn't work, the logs don't swing, the truck doesn't teeter. And no alternate has been found to real flames. Plus so much more foliage has been cut down that the contrast between jungle and burning wilderness is now lost.

Queue artefacts were added, but they forgot to fix the backstory video projector which looks worse than ever.

Not bad for a newly refurbished attraction. The fact they can't have all effects working is sad. The fact they opened knowing they aren't working is pathetic. The fact they have so many issues still is unforgivable. But this is the park with Dinosaur and Everest.

Why is this effect off for good? TDO Cost cutting?

Alektronic

So, Kali opened after its 6 week refurb. Guess what? It's worse now than before. In a park where show quality is ignored its no surprise, but sadly it is another nail in the coffin of the level WDW once held itself to. And so...

The new attraction-wide paved evac path was only half completed.

Rafts were meant to be deep cleaned or replaced. Drainage holes that were too small were meant to be enlarged to prevent puddles on the floor. Only ONE was replaced and TWO refurbished. The other 21 still have drainage issues and a layer of mold and mildew on the skin.

The redesign of the entrance to prevent crowding and bottlenecks didn't happen. No new signs were added. All it got was paint on the height check sign and a new umbrella.

Except fire, which is now off the list for good, every effect was meant to be fixed. Instead the lift mist still doesn't work, the logs don't swing, the truck doesn't teeter. And no alternate has been found to real flames. Plus so much more foliage has been cut down that the contrast between jungle and burning wilderness is now lost.

Queue artefacts were added, but they forgot to fix the backstory video projector which looks worse than ever.

Not bad for a newly refurbished attraction. The fact they can't have all effects working is sad. The fact they opened knowing they aren't working is pathetic. The fact they have so many issues still is unforgivable. But this is the park with Dinosaur and Everest.

Did you expect anything different? Refurbs are for the ride itself not anything for show quality and AK is the worse for that.

hoke2007

I really wish more guests would complain about the state of the theme parks. Don't get me wrong I absolutely love Disney, but the lack of care that WDW gets is disgusting at this point. As someone who only gets down to WDW every couple of years, it's disappointing to see that TDO only cares about the bottom line and seems less than interested in developing/maintaining their theme parks and attractions. Should we as a community start assuming that when a ride goes down for refurbishment, it essentially is being closed for a few weeks to collect dust and lower electricity bills? Once in a blue moon a ride gets a solid refurb, but shouldn't every single ride always be in pristine condition?

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
don't say their name three times...
Brand defenders? I'm waiting for the AK defenders who insist that rides (no matter how few in quatity or how poor in shape) are irrelevant to the "true purpose" of AK. Wandering around trees to stare at captive critters.

It is actually fairly encouraging that no one is rushing to defend TDO. It seems we are getting ever closer to a general breaking point for WDW fans. There is only so many times folks will be willing to turn the other cheek, as it were. Maybe we are running out of cheeks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom