1. The new WDWMAGIC app for iPhone and iPad is now available on the App Store.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Jimmy Fallon Ride

Discussion in 'Universal Orlando' started by Disneyhead'71, Oct 27, 2015.

1. OliveMcFly

OliveMcFly Well-Known Member

I do love how they're recreating Rockefeller Center. It's one of my favorite places in NYC.

2. AnthHoggard

AnthHoggard New Member

Exterior looks good - in keeping with a studio theme.

But really - another screen based attraction? Getting way too much now. It's diluting the good screen attractions they have.

Once you walk into Universal, you'll be faced with Shrek, Despicable Me, and now this - all the same screen type attractions.

It's about time a few physical attractions were introduced, and not rollercoasters.

Fantasmicguy and danpam1024 like this.
  3. imperius

imperius Well-Known Member

That's what Nintendo is doing.

Sped2424 likes this.
  4. Disneyhead'71

Disneyhead'71 Well-Known Member Original Poster

I suspect Shrek and T2 will be replaced sooner rather than later. Shek will probably getter a better representation in the new park.

Fantasmicguy and Jones14 like this.
  5. BrianLo

BrianLo Well-Known Member

Haven't really been keeping up with the construction on this. One one hand it is a major improvement. On the other hand it just absolutely drives me bonkers that UC goes 90% of the way there and then just doesn't finish. I so desperately want USF to stop with the studios theming. Especially for a park that contains Diagon and soon enough Nintendo. This half-way "good enough" just doesn't cut it anymore.

They need to pull a DCA and overhaul the studio entrance. Unfortunately Transformers, this and F&F cements that they will incrementally get there, but never commit.

A question though, is this opening soon? It kind of looks like it is.

bioreconstruct ‏@bioreconstruct Dec 25
    NBC COMCAST signs are lit at the Jimmy Fallon ride.

[​IMG]

6. stargrl33

stargrl33 Active Member

Starting to plan a trip for March, fingers crossed it'll be open that soon.

7. Tom Morrow

Tom Morrow Well-Known Member

Completely agree. USF has the worst, ugliest entrance of all of the Orlando parks. While Hollywood blvd does look great, it isn't the first thing you see when you enter the park. Instead, you see the very tacky facades of Shrek and Despicable Me. Not to mention the walkways themselves are all cracked and stained.

Also agree about the 90% thing. Is that NBC Comcast facade finished? Would it really be so hard to just theme the rest of the show building?

BrianLo and IDInstitute like this.
  8. Disneyhead'71

It would look a lot more realistic it they had gone ahead and built the other 65 floors too. That's what Disney would have done.

njDizFan likes this.
  9. captainkidd

captainkidd Well-Known Member

I don't find USF to have an ugly entrance. I would agree it's not on part with IOA or the Disney parks, but it's not ugly.

That being said, I don't like the exterior of this attraction at all. Very sterile.

10. Tom Morrow

Disney would have covered the entire show building and don't act like they wouldn't have.

The excuse here will be "it's a studio facade", except it isn't because the storyline is you're going into the real thing.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
    IDInstitute likes this.
  11. JT3000

JT3000 Well-Known Member

Where do you guys pick up those special glasses that keep you from seeing exposed or under-themed show buildings at Disney? I want some. They would make the experience so much more immersive. I was at Epcot and MK just last week and lost count of how many I noticed. And those are parks that can never use the "studio facade" excuse.

The Fallon building doesn't look perfect, but it seems corners are always cut somewhere, even on much larger attractions. What are you gonna do? Considering the exterior is still an improvement over what was there previously, I'm a lot more concerned with what's inside.

12. Disneyhead'71

I think it depends which park. At the MK they definitely would have gone further with the facade. But at DHS, particularly the DHS of the 2000s up until now, I could see them doing about what Uni is doing.

The Music Plaza side doesn't really bother me, as I think something is coming to the big gray wall. But I do wish the would do something about the yellow behind the Firehouse facade. I'd, at least, go with more gray.

BrianLo likes this.
  13. Tom Morrow

Show me anything in Epcot or MK where it's as blatantly obvious as this, where you don't have to find some weird angle to see it and instead it's displayed prominently to you.

Agreed that it's an improvement over what was there before. I suppose it does match the facades on the Mummy building.

IDInstitute likes this.
  14. JT3000

JT3000 Well-Known Member

I will remember to take photos the next time I'm there. And they'll all be from guest areas, so no weird angles.

15. JoeCamel

JoeCamel Well-Known Member

Off the top of my head the IASW building is pretty visible from Mansion or the riverboat along with several others around the MK. They can paint them "go away green" but they are still there. Doubt you win this one.

16. Tom Morrow

Again, find me examples that aren't completely obvious. Seeing the IASW building if you look through the trees, or seeing the Soarin' building in the distance but not up close doesn't count because you have to make a conscious effort to look for them to even notice. This? This is more like if Expedition Everest's flat wall (which they still bothered to paint theming onto) was facing the park prominently.

Universal's strong points are excitement, flashiness, and ride upkeep, not immersion. This could be a more constructive discussion if you guys wouldn't knee-jerk defend every aspect about Universal.

IDInstitute likes this.
  17. JT3000

JT3000 Well-Known Member

I'm afraid a constructive discussion is going to be impossible if you're going to pretend a monstrosity such as this "doesn't count." That is Extreme Bias 101. And yes, I notice it several times on every visit. Those magical glasses haven't come in the mail yet.

[​IMG]

Of course, if we were being constructive, we would at least wait until we're absolutely sure they're finished with the exterior before judging it.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
    TubaGeek likes this.
  18. Tom Morrow

I love how the only example you provided was one of two things I said not to use. Yep, zooming in on something backstage with a DSLR from across the lagoon = totally the same as placing it front and center in the main plaza of your park and not theming all of it. Even if the Soarin' building WAS IN the guest areas, you can bet that Disney would theme every part of it that faces the park areas, not just the part closest to the attraction entrance so it looks good for Instagram photos. You know, like they did for Soarin' in DCA.

It is very rare to get a glance at any backstage area at Disney that you aren't supposed to see. Even at every service access gate, they have taken steps to ensure that if you walk all the way to the gate, everything is still themed to that point. Now look at Universal's access gates, if you walk up to them, like the one next to Mummy, you see backstage, you see everything you're not supposed to see. Even at the entrance gates of IOA, look to the left of the lighthouse - there's a service access gate with a clear view of a security booth. If you walk closer to it, you see everything you shouldn't sere. Right at the entrance. Universal is filled with instances like this because, excluding Diagon, everything only looks "good enough" but is not totally immersive. They do not take sightlines into consideration.

Again, I fully support praising Universal for their strengths... but immersion is not one of their strengths unless JK Rolling is calling the shots. Focus on their strengths instead of insinuating that everything they do is somehow better than what Disney does.

This forum makes people SO jaded against WDW that they'll scream at it for minor flaws but gloss over major, glaring flaws elsewhere. I was the same way until I stepped away from this forum and the parks for about a year.

IDInstitute likes this.
  19. JT3000

JT3000 Well-Known Member

Translation: "I hate that you used one of the things I knew would blow a giant hole in my argument, even after I told you not to."

And I'll happily provide the evidence that this isn't true, since we're pushing the issue. But I have a feeling you'll just tell me that since it's exposed we're supposed to see it.

20. KingOfEpicocity

KingOfEpicocity Well-Known Member

im just glad the soarin building doesn't have a giant "THE WALT DISNEY COMPANY" logo on it...