Jimmy Fallon Ride

FoozieBear

"After a briefing in the Studio 6B Lobby, you’ll board the world’s first-ever flying theater"

This line from the recent blog post is just embarrassing. Flying theater is already a category of ride system and has been years.

This attraction is also notable for being Universal's FIRST-EVER completely 4D simulated attraction covered wall to wall with screens and moving cars. It's never been done before!

Disneyhead'71

Original Poster
U.S. theme park geeks know that there is a catagory of ride systems that are called "Flying Theaters", but the average tourist doesn't. What they are saying is that the new JF ride will be a theater that flies. As in, when you go in it will look like this:
760bd4917854d4d9371b76b615eb86b6.gif

And then it will fly.

lazyboy97o

U.S. theme park geeks know that there is a catagory of ride systems that are called "Flying Theaters", but the average tourist doesn't. What they are saying is that the new JF ride will be a theater that flies. As in, when you go in it will look like this:
760bd4917854d4d9371b76b615eb86b6.gif

And then it will fly.
Assuming your audience is too dumb to know better is never a justified position.

Disneyhead'71

Original Poster
Assuming your audience is too dumb to know better is never a justified position.
I actually believe that from Universal's description, the lay person will have a better idea of what they are getting, since Universal isn't describing the ride system which is where all of us went. They are describing a theater that flies.

JT3000

Expecting someone to have specialized knowledge of the theme park industry, which the average person most certainly lacks, wouldn't make them dumb, it would make you too demanding. Layman's terms exist for a reason.

Then again, the average theme park guest is the type to ask if "it's a small world" goes upside-down, so maybe assuming their audience is dumb wouldn't be so unjustified.

Ginzuishou

Wow... I feel like we are being a little dramatic here... I do agree I would welcome some new attractions that are less dependent on screens (which sounds like is in the pipeline) but the mere presence of a screen doesn't ruin my experience lol. Also Shrek 4D is not bad at all it's just old. I still think it's funny and holds up well... I wouldn't cry if it were to go but worst attraction in Orlando is pretty Harsh... (Stitch's Great Escape is still standing)

I actually stated that Shrek was the WORST RIDE IN THE PARK in my Yelp review.

Tom Morrow

Obviously the "flying theater" concept has been done before, but is this the first implementation of this ride system?

And Shrek isn't just the worst attraction in the park, its up there with the worst in Orlando. In a park already over-saturated with 3D and screens, including an already better 3D theater experience, an attraction where you literally just watch an animated short made for the DVD release that has no fictional setting or connection to the audience needs to go.

Disneyhead'71

Original Poster
Obviously the "flying theater" concept has been done before, but is this the first implementation of this ride system?

And Shrek isn't just the worst attraction in the park, its up there with the worst in Orlando. In a park already over-saturated with 3D and screens, including an already better 3D theater experience, an attraction where you literally just watch an animated short made for the DVD release that has no fictional setting or connection to the audience needs to go.
No, not even the first installation of this ride system. Actually it is an early generation of flying theaters. I really think they just mean that visually, it will actually look like a theater.

And Shrek is, in my opinion, the worst major attraction in Orlando. And it kills me that it is right in the front of the park and is often people's first Universal attraction. I think the parks overall rating would go up if they turned it into a big air-conditioned lounge with charging stations and a coke freestyle machine.

JoeCamel

No, not even the first installation of this ride system. Actually it is an early generation of flying theaters. I really think they just mean that visually, it will actually look like a theater.

And Shrek is, in my opinion, the worst major attraction in Orlando. And it kills me that it is right in the front of the park and is often people's first Universal attraction. I think the parks overall rating would go up if they turned it into a big air-conditioned lounge with charging stations and a coke freestyle machine that dispensed water!

FTFY

AnthHoggard

Exterior looks good - in keeping with a studio theme.

But really - another screen based attraction? Getting way too much now. It's diluting the good screen attractions they have.

Once you walk into Universal, you'll be faced with Shrek, Despicable Me, and now this - all the same screen type attractions.

It's about time a few physical attractions were introduced, and not rollercoasters.

Disneyhead'71

Original Poster
Exterior looks good - in keeping with a studio theme.

But really - another screen based attraction? Getting way too much now. It's diluting the good screen attractions they have.

Once you walk into Universal, you'll be faced with Shrek, Despicable Me, and now this - all the same screen type attractions.

It's about time a few physical attractions were introduced, and not rollercoasters.
I suspect Shrek and T2 will be replaced sooner rather than later. Shek will probably getter a better representation in the new park.

BrianLo

Haven't really been keeping up with the construction on this. One one hand it is a major improvement. On the other hand it just absolutely drives me bonkers that UC goes 90% of the way there and then just doesn't finish. I so desperately want USF to stop with the studios theming. Especially for a park that contains Diagon and soon enough Nintendo. This half-way "good enough" just doesn't cut it anymore.

They need to pull a DCA and overhaul the studio entrance. Unfortunately Transformers, this and F&F cements that they will incrementally get there, but never commit.

A question though, is this opening soon? It kind of looks like it is.

bioreconstruct ‏@bioreconstruct Dec 25
NBC COMCAST signs are lit at the Jimmy Fallon ride.

C0joJnQWgAA6sHm.jpg

Tom Morrow

Haven't really been keeping up with the construction on this. One one hand it is a major improvement. On the other hand it just absolutely drives me bonkers that UC goes 90% of the way there and then just doesn't finish. I so desperately want USF to stop with the studios theming. Especially for a park that contains Diagon and soon enough Nintendo. This half-way "good enough" just doesn't cut it anymore.

They need to pull a DCA and overhaul the studio entrance. Unfortunately Transformers, this and F&F cements that they will incrementally get there, but never commit.

A question though, is this opening soon? It kind of looks like it is.

bioreconstruct ‏@bioreconstruct Dec 25
NBC COMCAST signs are lit at the Jimmy Fallon ride.

C0joJnQWgAA6sHm.jpg

Completely agree. USF has the worst, ugliest entrance of all of the Orlando parks. While Hollywood blvd does look great, it isn't the first thing you see when you enter the park. Instead, you see the very tacky facades of Shrek and Despicable Me. Not to mention the walkways themselves are all cracked and stained.

Also agree about the 90% thing. Is that NBC Comcast facade finished? Would it really be so hard to just theme the rest of the show building?

Disneyhead'71

Original Poster
Completely agree. USF has the worst, ugliest entrance of all of the Orlando parks. While Hollywood blvd does look great, it isn't the first thing you see when you enter the park. Instead, you see the very tacky facades of Shrek and Despicable Me. Not to mention the walkways themselves are all cracked and stained.

Also agree about the 90% thing. Is that NBC Comcast facade finished? Would it really be so hard to just theme the rest of the show building?
It would look a lot more realistic it they had gone ahead and built the other 65 floors too. That's what Disney would have done.

captainkidd

I don't find USF to have an ugly entrance. I would agree it's not on part with IOA or the Disney parks, but it's not ugly.

That being said, I don't like the exterior of this attraction at all. Very sterile.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom