It's RAINING at Disneyland

Elsa_is_overrated

Original Poster
It's sprinkling in Disneyland right now. I felt maybe 8 drops fall on me.
First time I've seen rain in June in Southern California.

Last edited:

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
It's the fault lines shifting. The friction causes static electricity resulting in a very strong inland flow of negatively charged water particles from off shore. It never happened before man made global climate change because excessive amounts of carbon in the air now cause the negatively charged particles to invert polarity. When the inversion occurs the moisture from localized hydro domes scatters causing water droplets to fall to the ground.

TP2000

We got a good round of sprinkles here in Villa Park, too. First time I've ever seen rain in June in decades.

It's the remnants of Hurricane Blanca that spun up the coast of Baja California. Santa Barbara got actual, real rain today from it. There's now quite a bit of rain tonight in Northern California. This is another good sign that the El Nino building in the eastern Pacific is a very healthy one with warming ocean temps. It's very rare for Mexico to have a major hurricane like Blanca this early, much less it spin showers up into California.

I have a habit of doing a lot of sea kayaking off La Jolla in summer. The ocean water temp is already almost warm in San Diego, and should be quite pleasant this July and August. And then this winter we should see lots of rain. Big droughts like this are always broken by really wet and wild winters, often via an El Nino. This exact same thing happened in the 1970's - a severe drought with water rationing, followed by several very wet winters that changed everything very quickly.

Mawg

It's the fault lines shifting. The friction causes static electricity resulting in a very strong inland flow of negatively charged water particles from off shore. It never happened before man made global climate change because excessive amounts of carbon in the air now cause the negatively charged particles to invert polarity. When the inversion occurs the moisture from localized hydro domes scatters causing water droplets to fall to the ground.

^What he said.

deix15x8

We got a good round of sprinkles here in Villa Park, too. First time I've ever seen rain in June in decades.

It's the remnants of Hurricane Blanca that spun up the coast of Baja California. Santa Barbara got actual, real rain today from it. There's now quite a bit of rain tonight in Northern California. This is another good sign that the El Nino building in the eastern Pacific is a very healthy one with warming ocean temps. It's very rare for Mexico to have a major hurricane like Blanca this early, much less it spin showers up into California.

I have a habit of doing a lot of sea kayaking off La Jolla in summer. The ocean water temp is already almost warm in San Diego, and should be quite pleasant this July and August. And then this winter we should see lots of rain. Big droughts like this are always broken by really wet and wild winters, often via an El Nino. This exact same thing happened in the 1970's - a severe drought with water rationing, followed by several very wet winters that changed everything very quickly.

I'd say your welcome, but I hope not to have to. We have a history of getting terrible weather while on cruises and this sounds like we may be in store for more. I've had snow in Florida, snow in July, 80 foot seas, and torrential down pours. On September 18th we'll be sailing from Vancouver to LA before spending time in Disneyland and then returning home on October 6th. Think we'll be in for a wild ride? We've always sailed in the Atlantic and it always turns into a crazy hurricane season, this year we're going to the Pacific for the first time and they are saying the Atlantic will be incredibly calm this year. Always seems to be our luck.

Mickey1984

Now THAT is an explanation!!!

George Lucas on a Bench

I remember when it used to rain at Disneyland in the Winter. The downpours on the Rivers of America as the ducks floated by, the flooding in Adventureland beneath the unfortunately yet understandably closed treehouse, the remarkably empty walkways at 1 in the afternoon, dragging water into the Haunted Mansion foyer and feeling awful about, the poor cast members brushing the water off the Autopia tracks with brooms, never having to wait for anything...

I miss those times.

Elsa_is_overrated

Original Poster
Thunderstorm with lightning and humidity here in La Jolla (suburb of San Diego). We never used to get rain in summer. We used to get a lot more rain in winter and it was of the chilly and damp nature rather than the humid, sticky nature. Could global warming be transforming our Southern California climate? Warmer and drier winters and more humid summers with rain at times?

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Thunderstorm with lightning and humidity here in La Jolla (northern suburb of San Diego). We never used to get rain in summer. We used to get a lot more rain in winter and it was of the chilly and damp nature rather than the humid, sticky nature. Could global warming be transforming our Southern California climate? Warmer and drier winters and more humid summers with rain at times?
It could. Or it might just be raining.

TP2000

Thunderstorm with lightning and humidity here in La Jolla (suburb of San Diego). We never used to get rain in summer. We used to get a lot more rain in winter and it was of the chilly and damp nature rather than the humid, sticky nature. Could global warming be transforming our Southern California climate? Warmer and drier winters and more humid summers with rain at times?

So, I'm an old guy.

And I'm so old that I had family members who were (and their offspring still are) members of the La Jolla Beach & Tennis Club when being a white Anglo-Saxon protestant and having a lot of money wasn't enough to be considered for membership, but you had to be so WASPy that your ancestors didn't just come over on the Mayflower but were also traceable to Leif Erickson's Viking settlement in Newfoundland around 1200 A.D.

So, that said.... I've seen it rain in La Jolla in summer. And I've seen it be humid and sticky during summers when El Nino was brewing in the Pacific. In fact, there were several times in the 20th century during an El Nino summer when actual hurricanes roared up the coast from Baja and dumped inches of rain on San Diego County.

This rain is statistically unusual. But it's not unheard of, and it's a very good sign that a really big El Nino is brewing in the Pacific and we're about to get a heckuva wet winter this year.

Take it from an old guy. And if I remember it right, the bartender at Club Dining there at the La Jolla Beach & Tennis Club makes one of the best Lime Refreshers in SoCal. If you can get into the Club, take advantage of it and have one on me, please.

Last edited:

kkocka

I love how this warrants its own thread. LOLOL

This. Anyway yeah it went from sweltering heat and sun to mildly warm and overcast just in time for me to duck out and catch the USWNT game. A few lightning strikes later and all the hotel pools were evacuated and I found myself inside Trader Sam's. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom