It's RAINING at Disneyland

Elsa_is_overrated

Original Poster
There was a sudden Florida-style thunderstorm at Disneyland this afternoon; heavy rain and it was still 85 degrees (usually rain is cold here).

It would be funny if Florida and WDW would experience a minor earthquake soon (just a baby shaker around 4.0 and nothing serious).

Elsa_is_overrated

Original Poster
I thought you guys needed some rain.

We do but this humidity is abnormal here and as is any sort of rain in summer.
Summers used to be dry, winters used to be chilly and wet.
Winters used to mean cold and rainy cozy days to stay inside and drink hot coco and catch up on housework and do crafts.
Now our winters mean sunny and warm with little rain and I rarely get to wear my sweater and our weekend plans in January haven't been rained out in years (it used to be a regular occurrence a few years ago).
Our dry and abnormally warm winters over the past 3 years have been the primary cause of the drought.
Yet our summers are getting some rain (last summer we had a few scattered episodes of rain in SoCal too but nothing like today).
I think global warming is changing our climate.

TP2000

The Anaheim Angels had a home game rained out today for the first time in 20 years. And downtown Los Angeles just broke July rainfall records that dated back to 1877. But pretty much every SoCal town and city just broke their July rainfall records. And it's still raining at Midnight!

TP2000

I think global warming is changing our climate.

It's actually the sign of a very strong El Nino and the usual hurricanes that form off Mexico this time of year maintain themselves longer on their usual northwest track, which sends bands of rain into SoCal. The summer of 1997 also featured unusual summer rainfall in Orange County, which I remember as it was the same time they were shutting down the Disneyland parking lot to build DCA and it was raining in August.

It's good news. It means El Nino is coming this winter. Embrace it! And get new windshield wipers too.

Elsa_is_overrated

Original Poster
Global warming means more humidity and warm summer rain in L.A and warmer winters with less cold rain.
Say goodbye to day trips to Big Bear to experience snow.
Say goodbye to associating rain with warm jackets and staying inside with hot coco and cuddling to stay warm.
Say hello to more 90 degree sunny Christmasses and goodbye to the winter wet season.
Say hello to more humidity in summer and goodbye to the summer dry season.
L.A will transform itself from a Mediterrenean climate to a tropical one by 2050.
Global warming

Elsa_is_overrated

Original Poster
In honor of today's morning rain...

I love the earthquake scene at the end; Coincidentely, after the posting, we had a minor quake (not felt in Anaheim but felt by parts of L.A this morning) and the quake barely gets any attention while yesterday's rainstorm is getting far more coverage from the news, social media, and regular conversation here. Small quakes are no biggie at all for us and just worthy of a comment, tweet, or brief acknowledgement before going about in our day. However, when the "Big One" comes, we'll be singing a completely different tune. Seems that you're too young to remember the Northridge Quake of 94 and that one was NOT fun. The REAL Big One could be much worse.

George Lucas on a Bench

I didn't feel anything. I was in the last "big" quake at Disneyland (was it last year or the year before?), ordering drinks at Mad T Party when they still had the Long Island Iced Teas. As I was paying, everything started rocking and they immediately evacuated the area because it was deemed unsafe. Everyone left the parks like I'd never seen before.

Anyway, I hope there are a lot of rainy Disneyland days to be had in the coming months. My favorite time to go.

Elsa_is_overrated

Original Poster
I didn't feel the earthquake either today. I heard it was a 4.0, nothing major.

I have some major news that will scare you more than any quake you've felt in your life.......(given that you were under 2 when Northridge happened, I expect you have no memory of it so that doesn't count).

L.A......drum roll.....will get.....drum roll.............more H20......falling out of the sky......drum roll...........NEXT WEEK!!!!

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/l/Los+Angeles+CA+USCA0638:1:US

Californian Elitist

I remember there was an earthquake a little over a year ago in Brentwood, right where the college I attended is. I don't remember its magnitude, but it was big enough to wake me and the other girls in my housing up at 6 in the morning, just a few hours before some of us had class. It was so loud, I thought my roommate was awake and making noise. I woke up angry, then realized the room was shaking.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom