Its a Small World rehab?

PeterAlt

Original Poster
Any word if they're actually upgrading this attraction, rather than a typical rehab? If so, what exactly are the upgrades?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
From what I`ve read on the net, apart from the asbestos removal )and so a complete clean too) they are replacing the entire lighting system (since they are also doing major structural roof work too) since the lighting design is still the original 1971 design. Same for the audio probably.

They also may reverse the entrance and exit layout to try to allieviate the log jam of guests outside the building.

Then there is the story of a new scene being added...

Remember most of this is rumour!!

Figment1986

I remember seeing that packed on a slow day. wonder how bad it was on busy days......

I survived the ride, and it looked bad, the lighting was almost gone, the sound was audible in most places, and some dalls were stuck...

I hope this rehab does wonders, but not to good, i might not survive a ride on the rehabbed version....

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
If they do switch the entrance and exit I have also heard they want to utilise the old Skyway station space (hopfully without demolition) to use as a stroller park.

johnvree

Originally posted by ISTCNavigator57
June 7, 2004-March 18, 2005

:rolleyes:

I would love to know exactly how long it took to construct the building and install the attraction in 1971. I would not be surprised if it took less than 10 months.

BTW, thanks for the info ISTCNav.

Kenan

Quote from the Orlando Sentinel....

Disney is on the case

Disney officials are aware of such problems, many the inevitable result of time, weather and the toll inflicted by droves of tourists.

"We get one million work orders a year," says Larsen. "We have the technology and systems in place to let us be better than ever with our responses."

Safety is the top priority, he says, followed by reliability, then show quality.

Work has begun on resurfacing and repainting the parking lot, and should be completed by the end of the year, says Holmes. Different methods of fixing the stairs at the Main Street railroad station are being tested. And many wood components are being replaced with plastic, which resists fading, scratching and rotting. Where feasible, stainless steel is being used instead of regular steel, which rusts.

On the landscaping front, the training of Disney's 650 horticultural staff members is "as robust as ever," says Larsen.

The battle with weeds is ongoing, he says, but he doesn't believe there is less color in the park. "We plant three million flowering plants a year. We're in the process of replacing 750,000 right now."

The 20,000 Leagues lagoon will be reclaimed, says Larsen. Later this year, "it's a small world" will be closed for a multimillion-dollar upgrade, with new boats, lighting and audio equipment (but the same stick-in-the-brain tune).

At the same time, a new attraction, Stitch's Great Escape, will replace the closed Alien Encounter in Tomorrowland.

Dayma

This is one of those classic rides that are hard to change. I personally dont want it to change. 1 scene at the end may not be bad though.

New boats would also be nice.

The other thing that they should do is lower the ceiling as I feel it is way to high and takes away from the scenes themselves at times.

Sir Hiss527

Well I personally can't wait for the change to happen, as it has needed for a while. They have a long time to do many things, so let's hope it's gonna be good.

Sir Hiss527

Originally posted by ILOVEDISNEY
Wasn't IASW and COP left over from the World's Fair in 1964 in New York City? So, they're really 40 years old.

Those are probablly the ones that are at Disneyland. Not WDW's versions.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
WDW IASW is vintage 1971. However, CoP was`moved` from Disneyland (who did get it from the worlds fair) to WDW in 1975. Now, we got a new building, but I assume the AAs and sets came from California (and so, originally NYWF64). Anyone verify this?

Figment1986

I remember reading and seeing old photos of TL without COP.

Oh and i hope they make the garage door in the back less visable and lower the celing. It was distracting when i road it last time i went easrlier this month...

General Grizz

Originally posted by marni1971
WDW IASW is vintage 1971. However, CoP was`moved` from Disneyland (who did get it from the worlds fair) to WDW in 1975. Now, we got a new building, but I assume the AAs and sets came from California (and so, originally NYWF64). Anyone verify this?

Correct -- some of the AAs were added/greatly altered from the 70s & 80s.

IASW NEEDS this rehab. . . and I'm so glad it's going to happen. I want to see great results!! :) :sohappy:

I'm also thrilled that major dollars are being invested in this classic attraction, rather than tearing it down and replacing it with another shop or restaurant. Three cheers :sohappy:

Expo_Seeker40

Time for Expo's history lesson. :sohappy:

It's A Small World [the one in disneyland california] is the one that came from the 1964 world's fair. It is 95% the same as it was, except for maybe a scene or two that was repositioned. Not too long ago. The original theme song was digitally remastered and once again added in It's A Small world. There was an addition of new audio, lighting, and AA's work on the dolls. The dolls also wear their original clothing, but look much better and more life-like.

That's what I like about the original small world. They have taken steps into using today's technology and blend it with the classic 1964 look. The facade in disneyland was also restored in the 1990s to white and gold. There was no real facade during the world's fair, but walt himself guided what he wanted the facade in disneyland to look like before his death. The boats are the same, and the ride system is the same in disneyland as it was in 1964.

Pretty much the thing that didn't come was the tower of the four winds, which is the symbol of IASW. A smaller, less detailed version is over the entrance to IASW in disneyland, while a model is in the contemporary in WDW.

IASW in WDW is nothing like the original. The original has such an amazing song to it, and is far more spacious and detalied, and even has more countries.[Only a few more]. With all the property they have in WDW, I still don't know why they couldn't have built a replica of the disneyland one, and just had kept the boats that went outdoors, under awnings like they did at the fair.

So as far as I am concerned, since IASW in WDW is not the original, I don't care so much what happens to it, but it is unique in it's own way. I would think they would repaint the sets, and make them brighter, rework the audio, work on the AA'S, and do some lighting. Who knows we might need sunglassed and ear muffs when IASW reopens. I videotaped IASW in WDW on my last visit. I suggest you who have a camera or camcorder do the same. since it hasn't changed much since 1971. I don't know, but maybe they will turn it into IASW revenge. Looping rolling coaster with evil dolls singing.....boom boom yo yo wuzzzz sup it's a world of laughter yea yea yea world of tears... :lookaroun

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom