Island Supply in the Magic Kingdom's Adventureland to close next week

Next Big Thing

Sadly...that's exactly how they look at it.
Retail as part of the "show" is slowly vanishing.
Yeah, I don't want to come off as someone who is supporting this kind of thing as i'd love a great Jungle Cruise/Tiki shop.

However, i'm just looking at it from Disney's point of view, which normally is "What will make us the most money?"

Grumpy1973

:grumpy:...

I obviously don't know the prices, but I can gurantee they would be more expensive than elsewhere, and there is the main problem. It's something I can find off property, and for cheaper. Disappointing.

I barely shop anymore at Disney, not only is the stuff all the same in most of their shops, but it's overpriced stuff you could get at a local mall. But then again that's the mindset they've been going down now for over a decade.
Well the Universal Oakley store has same prices as any old mall store (and not sure if u still can but u used to could get your 10% off Annual Passholder discount there too if I'm not mistaken which made them cheaper than the mall).. But I don't really like stores like this INSIDE magic kingdom, about as much as I don't like seeing Starbucks on Main Street but that's a gripe for a different thread.. Basically replacing a Hurley/Quiksilver apparel store for a sunglass shop that will likely feature T shirts as well, would have loved a Jungle Cruise shop but seems little too far away from the ride entrance anyway.. As long as there's not a big OAKLEY sign on top..

Horizons78

Grade "A" Funny...
Appropriate, sunglasses themed humor attached:

1f7bde7f76457a1908fba1d17896a3f3.jpg

Jon81uk

For someone coming from the UK, even if Disney price exactly the same as the mall Oakley store, it still works out cheaper for me due to the exchange rates. A lot of the branded goods sold will be to non-US guests. Also the old store sold Quiksilver and other surfing brands so replacing some extreme sports brands with a different extreme sports brand isn't a huge deal to me. Although a Jungle Cruise themed shop would have been better, sunglasses in Adventureland is a better fit than in the rest of the park.

tl77

A Jungle Cruise/Tiki shop can sell merch all day long, but how many people besides Corey Hart buy sunglasses at night? ...clearly Disney didn't think this through very well

MissM

Well, the store this Oakley shop is replacing what was a third party store anyway. I can't think of the brand but they sold everything from shirts, tank tops, shorts and bathing suits in there.
It wasn't just one brand. There was Roxy, Element, Billabong, Hurley, O'Neill and more. Basically it was "surf" brands. There was also a scattering of Disney items fitting the theme. (aka "Dole Whip" shirts, etc.)

dreamfinder

Does this mean AP's get a discount there?

Depends. The merch discount for AP's and Disney Visa is at Disney O/O stores only. So if it is Disney O/O store, then possibly. But the terms of the merch discount also exclude things like Hummel, Cobra, Titleist, DVDs, etc. So most non Disney branded merch that the manufacturer may try to keep at a certain price is often excluded. But I'd lean towards not likely.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I remember one time years ago when the skipper on my boat was going through the safety spiel at the end of the ride and ending it by saying "please watch your children because if they get lost they will be taken over to It's a Small World and nailed to the floor where they will be forced to sing the same song for the rest of time."

I can only remember it once and that was years ago, does anyone know if this was part of the spiel and has since been removed or just the skipper taking some creative liberties? It got a laugh out of my boat at the time.

I've heard that one a few times, Skippers usually use it when there is a helicopter parent fussing over kids seat

Bairstow

For someone coming from the UK, even if Disney price exactly the same as the mall Oakley store, it still works out cheaper for me due to the exchange rates. A lot of the branded goods sold will be to non-US guests. Also the old store sold Quiksilver and other surfing brands so replacing some extreme sports brands with a different extreme sports brand isn't a huge deal to me. Although a Jungle Cruise themed shop would have been better, sunglasses in Adventureland is a better fit than in the rest of the park.

I suppose that explains the outrageously overpriced (to me) Oakley store at Islands of Adventure on Marvel Island.

MissM

I was at MK last night. The shop was closed up (they have wooden "shutter" type doors to close off both sides to completely close the shop and they were in place.) The lights were on inside but it had been completely emptied.

island-supply-closed-oct14a.jpg

island-supply-closed-oct14b.jpg

island-supply-closed-oct14c.jpg

Post: http://www.thefloridaproject.com/blog/2014/10/26/a-look-inside-the-closed-island-supply-store/

Additionally, at least some of the existing merchandise was relocated to the "bazaar" shop next door but it's unclear if they will restock those items moving forward or simply wanted to sell of existing stock.

Jon81uk

I suppose that explains the outrageously overpriced (to me) Oakley store at Islands of Adventure on Marvel Island.

Never bought from the Oakley store but we used to go to the a Fossil store in CityWalk. A watch that is £65 in UK was $65 which is equivalent to about £42 so a big saving. Buying from a mall Oakley store in LA last year the same was true, most things work out about a third cheaper.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom