Island Supply in the Magic Kingdom's Adventureland to close next week

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I feel like it just doesn't work with the dry, "cheesyness" of the rest of the ride. Like what would the skipper say during that scene to make it funny? Perhaps the Tokyo version of Jungle Cruise isn't that way?

With that said, in our Jungle Cruise the skipper doesn't really say anything inside of the temple.

'No matter what you come out a head...'

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
Take my money! Take it!

Indeed. If it turns out to be a Jungle Cruise/Tiki shop I am in trouble.
giphy.gif

aladdin2007

All of that co-op merch thats themed to adventureland and the tiki room etc I never understood why it wasn't implemented in adventureland itself. If they have any brains at all this would be the perfect spot for those items and hopefully thats what they are doing. I liked that shop as it was though, another favorite to mark off the list. Its a big list this year. :grumpy:

RSoxNo1

My enjoyment of Jungle Cruise can be summed up in one quote, "oh no, a downed plane. You know what that means. Hippos. Ever see a Hippo jump 30,000 feet out of the water and take down a plane? It's not pretty." I say it should stay.
Not every skipper does that joke (or a variant) but it's one that gets me every time.

"A downed airplane can mean only one thing... hippos. Anti-aircraft hippos. And if those hippos can take a plane out of midair, imagine what they're going to do to this boat... better scare 'em off..."

I've also heard variants where the skipper discusses "tree hippos" much to the confusion of most of the people on the boat.

RSoxNo1

What if they moved Aloha Isle in here so the Adventureland Veranda area can be "transformed"? Could be nice to have a tiny amount of shaded seating with fans, up the offerings to make it a more complete snack/bev location, and move it away from the smoking section.
Can we talk about the ridiculous lines that have been at Aloha Isle lately? Since they set up dedicated queues for it (instead of it spilling out into the walk way) the lines have been Disneylandesque. Just shows that if you set up some ropes, people will stand in line.

Magenta Panther

In this specific instance, your opinion is incorrect.

We must agree to disagree then. :)

Practically speaking, and at any rate, it'd be hard to imagine what TDO could replace it with anyway. I've suggested a PotC expansion of some sort, but then people yell "No, not Pirates! There's too much emphasis on Pirates! Because after all Pirates...has a whole ride and everything." Mmkay. Me, I think there should be more PotC in Adventureland, including a Black Pearl restaurant and so on, with sassy wenches and a PotC floor show. Pirates as characters are universal, but Disney's pretty much cornered the market with them thanks to the success of the PotC movies (which have been very uneven, I admit, but still are money-makers). Plus, people say there isn't enough in MK to interest little boys...well, hey: Pirates! There's your answer.

But again, Jungle Cruise would be hard to replace with anything else, because that would cost major bucks. And plussing it would be problematic. What could TDO do, make bigger AA elephants or something? Say, maybe the Imagineers could animate a hippo to attack the boat like the old AA shark did in the Jaws ride at Uni. At least that would make the ride more exciting. :p

alissafalco

Just what do you get out of Jungle Cruise, may I ask? What I get out of it is this: a ride through water seeing a bunch of dated AAs and listening to awful puns spouted by the Jungle Guide. I've ridden it twice, and I left it feeling very embarrassed. For the park. I think Walt would have ripped it out a long time ago. It's not awesome and it's not very amusing; it's painfully antique and cornball, which I guess is okay if you like that kind of thing. Seriously, I'm not just criticizing the ride here, I'd really like to know what you find fun about it. Lee, jump in here if you'd like (the best thing on property? Really?). Everyone's entitled to their opinions, but I'm just stumped by any kind of strong regard for the Jungle Cruise.

A Jungle Cruise shop would make sense, though; pith helmets and bomber jackets and tiki stuff too would probably sell okay. I bet it won't be nearly as popular as Memento Mori, however.
I loved it as a child, and I love it now. It's a great attraction, I'm sorry you don't enjoy it.

Oriolesmagic

We must agree to disagree then. :)

Practically speaking, and at any rate, it'd be hard to imagine what TDO could replace it with anyway. I've suggested a PotC expansion of some sort, but then people yell "No, not Pirates! There's too much emphasis on Pirates! Because after all Pirates...has a whole ride and everything." Mmkay. Me, I think there should be more PotC in Adventureland, including a Black Pearl restaurant and so on, with sassy wenches and a PotC floor show. Pirates as characters are universal, but Disney's pretty much cornered the market with them thanks to the success of the PotC movies (which have been very uneven, I admit, but still are money-makers). Plus, people say there isn't enough in MK to interest little boys...well, hey: Pirates! There's your answer.

But again, Jungle Cruise would be hard to replace with anything else, because that would cost major bucks. And plussing it would be problematic. What could TDO do, make bigger AA elephants or something? Say, maybe the Imagineers could animate a hippo to attack the boat like the old AA shark did in the Jaws ride at Uni. At least that would make the ride more exciting. :p

Make it the actual three month journey on the Jungle Cruise that is advertised? ;)

BrerJon

Can we talk about the ridiculous lines that have been at Aloha Isle lately? Since they set up dedicated queues for it (instead of it spilling out into the walk way) the lines have been Disneylandesque. Just shows that if you set up some ropes, people will stand in line.

I theorised in another thread that given Disney wants anyone prepared to do a bit of pre-planning and booking to never have to wait in a line, and this one is starting to get out of hand, I can imagine Aloha Isle having times when it's reservation only to buy a Dole Whip.

You won't need to book days ahead, but on *really* busy crowd days I can imagine you might have to get to the kiosk early, or use MDE, and pick up a coupon which guarantees you can get in the line later in the day whenever you want. Without a coupon, they might not let you join the line once it gets past a certain length, or they give you a return time when the line will be shorter.

Kman101

LOL, I barely remember what's in this store. Most of the stores are generic anyway so it's nice to see them doing what they did decades ago and realizing unique merchandise sells. Although is this just a "nostalgia fad" (which sells no matter what, usually, at least with Disney) or is this a trend back to the way it was with unique merchandise? And with the generic crap, didn't I read on here years and years ago when the generic grap started taking over that it made things easier on guests because they could go to any store and get what they want? I swear I remember hearing a similar excuse when asked why all the stores have the same merchandise. And why do the stores seem so junky? (Maybe it's what they sell ...). Pins and $3 crap in a bin. It's really just like Wal-Mart, which is sad.

So let's hope this closure leads to a themed Jungle Cruise/Tiki/Adventureland store. And they haven't started selling the co-op stuff for Adventureland in the Magic Kingdom? I haven't been into any shop in Adventureland in years so I don't know. I do recall seeing Disneyland's Adventureland (through pictures, not personally) having some of the stuff, which is funny because a lot of it is either geared towards Disneyland specific or MK specific, and then they try to combine the two. So they want unique yet still want the generic One Disney crap.

And they really do need to do something about Aloha Island. How is that acceptable? It looks terrible and why is that line ALWAYS long, no matter what? And when you have a large aread for tables ... etc. So misguided. And talk about overrated ... it's called ice cream. That's it. lol.

aladdin2007

LOL, I barely remember what's in this store. Most of the stores are generic anyway so it's nice to see them doing what they did decades ago and realizing unique merchandise sells. Although is this just a "nostalgia fad" (which sells no matter what, usually, at least with Disney) or is this a trend back to the way it was with unique merchandise? And with the generic crap, didn't I read on here years and years ago when the generic grap started taking over that it made things easier on guests because they could go to any store and get what they want? I swear I remember hearing a similar excuse when asked why all the stores have the same merchandise. And why do the stores seem so junky? (Maybe it's what they sell ...). Pins and $3 crap in a bin. It's really just like Wal-Mart, which is sad.

So let's hope this closure leads to a themed Jungle Cruise/Tiki/Adventureland store. And they haven't started selling the co-op stuff for Adventureland in the Magic Kingdom? I haven't been into any shop in Adventureland in years so I don't know. I do recall seeing Disneyland's Adventureland (through pictures, not personally) having some of the stuff, which is funny because a lot of it is either geared towards Disneyland specific or MK specific, and then they try to combine the two. So they want unique yet still want the generic One Disney crap.

And they really do need to do something about Aloha Island. How is that acceptable? It looks terrible and why is that line ALWAYS long, no matter what? And when you have a large aread for tables ... etc. So misguided. And talk about overrated ... it's called ice cream. That's it. lol.

Nope long overdue

flyerjab

That's exactly what I think is going on.

I am not a huge merchandise buyer. That being said, I cannot wait to see Memento Mori in Liberty Square as the photos of the unique, area specific merchandise are spectacular. And there are even props on the walls and the ability to have a photo taken that turns you into a ghost. Now WDW should pay attention here because they are turning someone not necessarily into merchandise into someone that can't wait until his 2014 Thanksgiving trip so that he and his family (3 young children that like to possess "things") can go and visit this store.

IMHO, this turns a shop into something more than just a shop...it becomes a small attraction in itself, something that people want to go see and experience. And aside from seeing it, to the pleasure of WDW, people will even spend MORE MONEY beyond what they spend on rooms, park tickets and food.:greedy:

I hope that this is indeed what is happening here, and that the Marketplace Co-op and Memento Mori are just the beginning.:geek:

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom