Island Supply in the Magic Kingdom's Adventureland to close next week

tissandtully

This would be disappointing if they actually sold anything good, but it's really all stuff you can find elsewhere, nothing unique sold in WDW gift shops anymore..

FrankLapidus

Yeah...but...whereas Haunted Mansion is still awesome, Jungle Cruise sucks giant cheese doodles.

No it doesn't.

And a Jungle Cruise shop would be amazing, awful for my wallet but amazing if Disney were to look to replicate what they've done at Memento Mori. Hopefully that is the plan here, there's a market for quality attraction-specific merchandise that they're missing out on.

FigmentJedi

If it's a Jungle Cruise shop, I'm predicting they'll do something with that whole "Jungle Cruise started as a trading company" conceit they've had since Indy moved into DL, since they love putting backstory into shopping locations now.

Magenta Panther

No it doesn't.

And a Jungle Cruise shop would be amazing, awful for my wallet but amazing if Disney were to look to replicate what they've done at Memento Mori. Hopefully that is the plan here, there's a market for quality attraction-specific merchandise that they're missing out on.

Just what do you get out of Jungle Cruise, may I ask? What I get out of it is this: a ride through water seeing a bunch of dated AAs and listening to awful puns spouted by the Jungle Guide. I've ridden it twice, and I left it feeling very embarrassed. For the park. I think Walt would have ripped it out a long time ago. It's not awesome and it's not very amusing; it's painfully antique and cornball, which I guess is okay if you like that kind of thing. Seriously, I'm not just criticizing the ride here, I'd really like to know what you find fun about it. Lee, jump in here if you'd like (the best thing on property? Really?). Everyone's entitled to their opinions, but I'm just stumped by any kind of strong regard for the Jungle Cruise.

A Jungle Cruise shop would make sense, though; pith helmets and bomber jackets and tiki stuff too would probably sell okay. I bet it won't be nearly as popular as Memento Mori, however.

FrankLapidus

Just what do you get out of Jungle Cruise, may I ask? What I get out of it is this: a ride through water seeing a bunch of dated AAs and listening to awful puns spouted by the Jungle Guide. I've ridden it twice, and I left it feeling very embarrassed. For the park. I think Walt would have ripped it out a long time ago. It's not awesome and it's not very amusing; it's painfully antique and cornball, which I guess is okay if you like that kind of thing. Seriously, I'm not just criticizing the ride here, I'd really like to know what you find fun about it. Lee, jump in here if you'd like (the best thing on property? Really?). Everyone's entitled to their opinions, but I'm just stumped by any kind of strong regard for the Jungle Cruise.

A Jungle Cruise shop would make sense, though; pith helmets and bomber jackets and tiki stuff too would probably sell okay. I bet it won't be nearly as popular as Memento Mori, however.

I've been on it dozens of times and get plenty out of it. To put it simply, I love everything about it; I enjoy and appreciate the humour of the attraction that begins in the queue and carries through until you return to the dock, I love the impact of the genius of Marc Davis on the attraction particularly in the rhino/totem scene, I like that its an attraction that doesn't take itself seriously and completely embraces the whimsical things that might grate with some, I love that its quintessential Disney brilliance in the same way that Haunted Mansion and Pirates of the Caribbean are.

I hear the same complaints about the Tiki Room, I love both attractions and couldn't imagine the Adventureland and the Magic Kingdom without them.

Oriolesmagic

Jungle Cruise is one ride at Magic Kingdom that's usually a can't miss for me. It's different nearly every time you go on it. Sure, occasionally you may get stuck with a lousy skipper but when you get one that's really into it, it's one of the more entertaining attractions on the property.

I'd be all for a Jungle Cruise specific store.

Mike S

My enjoyment of Jungle Cruise can be summed up in one quote, "oh no, a downed plane. You know what that means. Hippos. Ever see a Hippo jump 30,000 feet out of the water and take down a plane? It's not pretty." I say it should stay.

tl77

If they are adding a Jungle Cruise store, do you think that mean they'll also be adding onboard photos/video as well? and maybe the updated music and FX that Tokyo Disneyland just got?

BigThunderMatt

Maybe they're seeing how popular Memento and Mori is. Jungle Cruise shop anyone???????

Wait WAIT WAIT! You mean people actually want to buy merchandise that is centered around individual attractions and don't want every gift shop they encounter to sell the same exact crap?! And that this might entice them to buy more stuff?! Good God this is marketing genius! Disney might be on to something here!

BrerJon

Wait WAIT WAIT! You mean people actually want to buy merchandise that is centered around individual attractions and don't want every gift shop they encounter to sell the same exact crap?! And that this might entice them to buy more stuff?! Good God this is marketing genius! Disney might be on to something here!

For years people bemoaned how the shops were losing their unique items, notably as far as resort specific merch went but also with rides. If a second ride themed shop opens within a month, could this be a sign that Disney has realised that One Disney generic Dollar Tree-level crap in every store is not always the most profitable option?

Normally I'd assume a new MyMagic kiosk would be coming, but there's one around the corner by Country Bears so I don't think it will be that. Aulani DVC maybe? Feels a bit late in the day for that though, so the signs are good for something decent.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I've been on it dozens of times and get plenty out of it. To put it simply, I love everything about it; I enjoy and appreciate the humour of the attraction that begins in the queue and carries through until you return to the dock, I love the impact of the genius of Marc Davis on the attraction particularly in the rhino/totem scene, I like that its an attraction that doesn't take itself seriously and completely embraces the whimsical things that might grate with some, I love that its quintessential Disney brilliance in the same way that Haunted Mansion and Pirates of the Caribbean are.

I hear the same complaints about the Tiki Room, I love both attractions and couldn't imagine the Adventureland and the Magic Kingdom without them.

Just READ the signs on the crates and LISTEN to the announcements, I LOVE the Jungle Cruise and some of the skippers are a real scream especially the ones with the machine gun delivery of jokes which are so bad they are GOOD. I also love that it does not take itself seriously.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
My enjoyment of Jungle Cruise can be summed up in one quote, "oh no, a downed plane. You know what that means. Hippos. Ever see a Hippo jump 30,000 feet out of the water and take down a plane? It's not pretty." I say it should stay.

That joke wins the internet today, Also 'Hippos don't attack unless their ears are wiggling..., Look out it's ears are wiggling !!!!!!'

Oriolesmagic

The temple update is pretty awful. Tokyo can keep that.

I feel like it just doesn't work with the dry, "cheesyness" of the rest of the ride. Like what would the skipper say during that scene to make it funny? Perhaps the Tokyo version of Jungle Cruise isn't that way?

With that said, in our Jungle Cruise the skipper doesn't really say anything inside of the temple.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom