Is the Great Movie Ride next?

imagineer boy

I really, really hope it doesn't get replaced. Though at the rate TDO is going, I wouldn't be surprised if it happened. It definitely could use some updating with some more relevant movies like Lord of the Rings, and things like that. Though odds are, if they do update it, management will make it go with the safe and marketable route with scenes from Frozen, Pixar movies, and Marvel movies.:banghead:

Lance

I want to know how many people actually know who James Cagney is before they ride it.

I bet the numbers are something like under 15% for all ages, people under the age of 20; probably like 2%.

This is why it'll be replaced, don't know if I agree or disagree.

But as its been posted, if its for a Star Wars land, tear that bad boy down NOW!

wdwfan4ver

I hate when people say it's outdated.

How is GMR outdated? Please enlighten me?

Sure it's 25 years old, but POTC is almost 50 years old and nobody is complaining.

Classic Films are timeless; how can it be outdated?

Mary Poppins, Singin' in the Rain, Wizard of Oz, Casablanca outdated? I should say not.

The only scene I can think of that's sort of stale is the Tarzan scene, but that can be overlooked.
POTC was changed multiple times in its existence unlike the Great Movie Ride. There is some parts of the Ride that Disney didn't touch though, but the ride itself had changes to it that wasn't there when I first went to POTC in 1991.

The first time POTC was changed in the late 1990's when Disney changed men chasing women to women chasing the men. Disney changed more scenes in the ride after Pirates of the Caribbean Movie Franchise. Disney even added mermaids to the POTC ride.

AEfx

I want to know how many people actually know who James Cagney is before they ride it.

I bet the numbers are something like under 15% for all ages, people under the age of 20; probably like 2%.

More than you would think. DVD and endless television channels, as well as pop culture references, contribute to that. Particularly with Cagney and the quote he uses (which is very well known in it's truncated form "you dirty rat..." and the distinctive vocal impression that normally goes along with it) and used on things like Simpsons, etc. They may not have known it was his to begin with (in it's longer form), but they do after going on the ride.

That said, there definitely are some spots that could be improved upon and/or replaced. The Tarzan scene is just really not well done to begin with, and is a big chunk of space that could be far more interesting with another film. Most of the "horror" stuff could go. There are bits here and there that could be used better, a fair amount of empty space in several areas. It's very much in need of some love, but overall it does very well at giving a broad overview of film history and it would be a shame to lose one of the last rides that has more than a smattering of animatronics (particularly at the Studios).

yoda_5729

First and for most I DO hope the ride, and the theater stay. It is possibly the single most historic structure in Hollywood Studios, even accepting the fact for much of it's history it's hidden behind a hat.

I think some updating would be appropriate, like higher technology and detailed animatronics and maybe some smaller wide ranging scenes from some films. Also the final montage, which I love, would probably be better in HD.

The argument though that no one knows who James Cagney is, or any of the other figures is pretty lame in my opinion. Not every person is going to be a scholar when it comes to film history, so someone may actually learn something from the ride as well as being entertained. A child may go...."Who's James Cagney?" and remember that name and look him up later. There are historic figures in Spaceship Earth I'm sure people don't know.

If you sacrifice everything in the ride down to what a child recognizes, then you'll have to redo the ride every 5 years with mostly cartoon characters (most of which won't be historic unless using the legendary ones). Children today often have never seen a Mickey Mouse cartoon when they visit Disney. The Hall of Presidents has a lot of figures no one would recognize, but no one says since kids don't know who they are, get rid of them. All we really need is the Mount Rushmore guys and a few others from the 20th Century? The point of the Great Movie Ride is to take you through the history of movies. Psycho one of the most famous and historic movies of all time stars Janet Leigh, and Anthony Perkins? Are they really recognizable, unless you are looking at them in their Psycho roles? Probably not, but Psycho is one of the most historic and game changing movies in history.

I think making a few stand alone animatronics in one room, with backdrops that fit the figure's movie might be a good way to go, as it represents some more movies, could be changed easier, and there would be a way to see how people react. Replacing all of Aliens is hard, and then devoting it all to one movie (which may become "stale" in some guests opinions years later) but testing a Katherine Hepburn or Marilyn Monroe AA isn't. Marilyn could be standing on a subway grate with her skirt raising a bit (I know it's Disney I said a bit), or Brando seated at his desk in Godfather. Chaplin also should have something, maybe the eating the shoe scene, or the gears in Modern Times. Or maybe take one setting, like New York City, and representing various of the characters that have appeared there, all together.

These are just suggestions, but I think one HUGE contribution to the park is the educational value. Some think that because movies are "fun" that the history of making them and the history of who was impactful in them is trivial. It's not. It's as valid (though not necessarily as impactful) as any other type of history depending upon who is viewing it. Maybe the kid in the tram car is inspired and goes and researches it, and then goes to college studying it? The Great Movie Ride isn't "The popular movie ride, that in 20 years will become outdated no matter what movies we put in it Ride. it's the Great Movie Ride. The movies are present because they are viewed as great. If people genuinely don't know about them, then I think that has more to do with the ignorance of the audience and not the ride itself. It may even inspire some to go watch the films. Kids don't know about half the things in the Smithsonian or the Baseball Hall of Fame, but no one says the stuff in there is outdated?

Last edited:

DisUniversal

The point of the ride is a ride through movie history. Why on earth put scenes from current movies that are run endlessly on tv or computer or all through the parks? There are a few that it wouldn't hurt to replace, but basically, they should leave it alone.
The point of the current ride is a ride through movie history. That can change and I think the time for that chance has come. They could make it a ride through Disney movie history, starting with Mickey and ending with some of the most recent films like Tangled, Wreck it Ralph and yes, Frozen and maybe a Maleficent scene too.

yoda_5729

The point of the current ride is a ride through movie history. That can change and I think the time for that chance has come. They could make it a ride through Disney movie history, starting with Mickey and ending with some of the most recent films like Tangled, Wreck it Ralph and yes, Frozen and maybe a Maleficent scene too.

And in ten years tear all those down, for all the newer Disney films. Some of which might be as good or worse then the ones mentioned. If it's not about Great Movies, then it's any basic movies we happen to pick, with no direction, or in a direction that will need updating literally every year. Imagine if that ride existed, and they had yet to build the Frozen section. How many people would be complaining?

Great Movies in my opinion allow for a lot less updating then a Disney one would require, especially since a lot of Great Disney Movies Ride can be found in Fantasyland.

FrankLapidus

I really hope not but nothing would surprise me when it comes to current management.

I would agree that it needs refreshing. I'm not too sure which films I would like to see added but I think films like Indiana Jones, Alien and Wizard of Oz are timeless and genre-defining enough to remain where they are.

TDF

Look, I love GMR. Does it need updating? Yes, newer movies would be nice and lets face it, we know Disney has better technology then what is currently used in GMR. However, let’s be real honest now. DHS is one of the weirdest laid out parks. GMR does take up a huge nice area of possible real estate. Would I be willing to lose a classic ride for something even better? Yes. I think Walt would to. As Walt said, “We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we’re curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths” and “Disney(land) will never be complete. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world.”

WeLComeHomE OKW

There is no doubt GMR needs an upgrade, in a big way. Does anyone know how long Universal has the exclusive license to the ride system used in Spiderman?

Magenta Panther

Original Poster
Here is one source that mentions the rumors of a GMR replacement. It also has some neat facts about the ride: http://allears.net/tp/mgm/m_movieride.htm

For my part, I want the attraction to stay, but like others here, I feel it needs a thorough upgrade. At the very least, the incredibly cheap-looking Busby Berkeley scene in the beginning needs to go. I think a tribute to the great early movie comedians like Charlie Chaplin, Laurel and Hardy and Harold Lloyd should go in there. This scene with Lloyd from his short "Safety Last" would make a great visual piece:

harold-lloyd-in-safety-last.jpg

AAs of Chaplin, Laurel and Hardy and perhaps Our Gang (the Little Rascals) could be grouped below it. There could even be strobe lights on the figures that suggest the flickering of early film, and all of the AAs could be painted/dressed in black and white.

I also think the Tarzan scene either needs to be upgraded majorly or replaced. But I have no idea what that replacement should be, probably because of too many possibilities...

DisneyGentleman

The point of the ride is "how can we tell a semblance of a story with things we have rights to". A particularly bad example of this was Superstar Limo, where a very disjointed set of folks was chosen only because Disney had the rights to use them. So a better name for the Great Movie Ride would have been the Muppetesque "A Sort of History of the Movies because We Had Rights to Use These Movies and Actors".

Disney has grown immensely and their range of properties could easily be used to prop-up old rides (like Frozen Norway). So expect to see more and more rides based on properties they hold. A Universe of Synergy.

I cringe at the thought of American Adventure, brought to you by Sam Eagle...

Mike S

Here is one source that mentions the rumors of a GMR replacement. It also has some neat facts about the ride: http://allears.net/tp/mgm/m_movieride.htm

For my part, I want the attraction to stay, but like others here, I feel it needs a thorough upgrade. At the very least, the incredibly cheap-looking Busby Berkeley scene in the beginning needs to go. I think a tribute to the great early movie comedians like Charlie Chaplin, Laurel and Hardy and Harold Lloyd should go in there. This scene with Lloyd from his short "Safety Last" would make a great visual piece:

harold-lloyd-in-safety-last.jpg

AAs of Chaplin, Laurel and Hardy and perhaps Our Gang (the Little Rascals) could be grouped below it. There could even be strobe lights on the figures that suggest the flickering of early film, and all of the AAs could be painted/dressed in black and white.

I also think the Tarzan scene either needs to be upgraded majorly or replaced. But I have no idea what that replacement should be, probably because of too many possibilities...
When I first read your strobe light idea I thought it was leading to a Yeti joke but that's actually a good idea.

DisUniversal

There is no doubt GMR needs an upgrade, in a big way. Does anyone know how long Universal has the exclusive license to the ride system used in Spiderman?
Forever. The license is in perpetuity. Also, the license is for the Marvel characters. I believe the ride system belongs to Universal.

Mike S

The point of the ride is "how can we tell a semblance of a story with things we have rights to". A particularly bad example of this was Superstar Limo, where a very disjointed set of folks was chosen only because Disney had the rights to use them. So a better name for the Great Movie Ride would have been the Muppetesque "A Sort of History of the Movies because We Had Rights to Use These Movies and Actors".

Disney has grown immensely and their range of properties could easily be used to prop-up old rides (like Frozen Norway). So expect to see more and more rides based on properties they hold. A Universe of Synergy.

I cringe at the thought of American Adventure, brought to you by Sam Eagle...
Someone needs to use this as a jumping off point to spoof that old Epcot song immediately. "Synergy, you make our wallets grow fatter".

yoda_5729

Look, I love GMR. Does it need updating? Yes, newer movies would be nice and lets face it, we know Disney has better technology then what is currently used in GMR. However, let’s be real honest now. DHS is one of the weirdest laid out parks. GMR does take up a huge nice area of possible real estate. Would I be willing to lose a classic ride for something even better? Yes. I think Walt would to. As Walt said, “We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we’re curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths” and “Disney(land) will never be complete. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world.”

I understand what you are saying, but to me, they should work around GMR and the Earful Tower. They have been there from day one, and to me are significant. Also if you want Hollywood at all represented, the Chinese theater does that spectacularly.

This is an extreme case, and no one would ever be this idiotic, but the same prime real estate (though nowhere near the size) could be made for Cinderella Castle. Does the castle really do much, other then a photo op? Sure it has a hair salon which could be moved, one restaurant again movied, and a private suite inside it. That's the most major area of Magic Kingdom though. I mean think of the coaster or ride that could go there? It's based on a movie from the 1950, so maybe it's time is up. I'm saying this to be silly. Anyone who thinks that needs to go, clearly needs to reevaluate things. Technically though, GMR has been in the park from day 1. It and the Backlot tour were the only rides at MGM Studios when it opened. Backlot has been so gutted it really isn't what it was like opening day, but GMR is. Of course it's dated. But Disney has, in the past always tried to keep some history behind their attractions ala Tiki Room, Jungle Cruise, Pirates, Mansion, Carousel of Progress, Spaceship Earth, etc. For me, GMR is that for Hollywood Studios.

djkidkaz

This rumor came from Jim Hill who said that something "cool" was going to replace it once they announced the DHS plans, but couldn't say more. I found it odd that he went into so much other detail and spoilers about all of the DHS changes but when it came to GMR he said he couldn't talk about it. Why could you tell us everything else except this one facet of the changes?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom