Is the clock ticking on the Sorcerer Mickey Hat icon at the Studios? YES!

Cesar R M

I am missing your correlation of a water tower to the necessity of a working studio for the water tower to be an icon. There are iconic watertowers throughout the world that have no correlation to a working studio.

The WineGlass watertower is one of my favorites.

ATDW_Portrait__BH19_Wineglass_large.jpg
If I remember correctly.. every studio had a water tower to FIGHT FIRES. Fires in equipment could be very usual due of the nature of special effects, fire, cellulose and high powered lamps.
Hence why every studio had a tower of water for these necessities.
Each big studio.. customized their towers to show their logos, as they were usually the tallest structures.

erwinalber4

We need to start brainstorming now, a proper name for THE day when the final piece is removed. It will be forever more a holiday for us; a day of celebration to always remember. Years from now our children's children will bump this thread back up in tribute of us noble few who witnessed it happen.

Mark my words...we are pioneers.

The final Tick of the clock for BAH?

BrerJon

We need to start brainstorming now, a proper name for THE day when the final piece is removed. It will be forever more a holiday for us; a day of celebration to always remember. Years from now our children's children will bump this thread back up in tribute of us noble few who witnessed it happen.

Mark my words...we are pioneers.

It's got to be Hats Off Day, surely. Or, in reverence to the thread title, the day the hat clocks out.

Has there ever been a more hated piece of Disney architecture? I can't think of anything else that caused such delight in its demise.

I do actually feel a bit sorry for the staff at WDI who came up with the idea. Yes, it was one of the worst things they ever did, and you wonder what kind of idiot would pitch such a thing, but everyone comes up with bad ideas at some point, and to have a decade of people reminding you how incompetent and useless you are must hurt a little.

Hopefully the hat going will be be more than just symbolic and act as a motivational clearing out of a cancer at TDO so WDI, or what passes for it nowadays, is given the freedom to start to build real, proper, themed attractions once more, and come up with work that matches what their rivals up I-4 are doing instead of just lazy stuff like the mine train or Disney Springs.

Last edited:

articos

If I remember correctly.. every studio had a water tower to FIGHT FIRES. Fires in equipment could be very usual due of the nature of special effects, fire, cellulose and high powered lamps.
Each big studio.. customized their towers to show their logos, as they were usually the tallest structures.
Yup. In the early days, the studios were isolated in rural Los Angeles, and the lights needed for filming had an unfortunate habit of causing fires. Each studio put up their own water tower as a way to have fire protection, and realized they could also use it as advertising for their individual studios. A few still are working, I believe, while the rest are just historical nameplates now.

Arthur Wellesley

It's got to be Hats Off Day, surely.
"Hats Off Day". I like this. Very catchy ring to it. Every year on that sacred day, we refuse to wear hats of any kind, all in the name of the theatre. Generations after ours will follow this tradition.

I'm contacting Hallmark as we speak to see if they can get some form of cardage printed up for this new holiday.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
"Hats Off Day". I like this. Very catchy ring to it. Every year on that sacred day, we refuse to wear hats of any kind, all in the name of the theatre. Generations after ours will follow this tradition.

I'm contacting Hallmark as we speak to see if they can get some form of cardage printed up for this new holiday.
Do you think that anyone might catch on to our avatar theme? Nah....

Brian

Remember when the hat was this new and exciting thing? It may not have been for those who had an appreciation for the view down the street, but for me, who was a simple young 10 year old, it was really cool to see for the first time! But alas, as I grew older, I became more and more disenfranchised with the concept of a BAH blocking the view.

I digress. Here's a throwback for ya'll.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR

Yeah, many places other than Studios had water towers for the same purpose, still do if there isn't fire hydrants around. I'm not on board with this either or scenario.

Me <------- I'm thinking the Earful Tower could stay in place and be an icon without the theme park being a working studio. Heck we had a 100 year celebration Hat while the place was well done with celebrating that for over a decade.

Plus the earful tower is a nice nod to yesteryear given how nostalgic and retro Disney is this decade. And it is paid for, that always makes the Disney Bean Counters happy.

tirian

The Wand that dwarfed SSE was much worse—it defaced one of the most recognized icons on earth.

It's got to be Hats Off Day, surely. Or, in reverence to the thread title, the day the hat clocks out.

Has there ever been a more hated piece of Disney architecture? I can't think of anything else that caused such delight in its demise.

I do actually feel a bit sorry for the staff at WDI who came up with the idea. Yes, it was one of the worst things they ever did, and you wonder what kind of idiot would pitch such a thing, but everyone comes up with bad ideas at some point, and to have a decade of people reminding you how incompetent and useless you are must hurt a little.

Hopefully the hat going will be be more than just symbolic and act as a motivational clearing out of a cancer at TDO so WDI, or what passes for it nowadays, is given the freedom to start to build real, proper, themed attractions once more, and come up with work that matches what their rivals up I-4 are doing instead of just lazy stuff like the mine train or Disney Springs.

dgp602

I don't know. I mean, sure, it will EVENTUALLY come down, but who's to say whether what they said meant in the next year or the next ten years :shrug:

I, too, will believe it when I see it.

Dear Pongo from 2009,

It only took 6 years, but yes, it IS coming down! And you would not believe the daily interest in the removal process! Crazy people like me log on right when they get up in the morning, just to see the nightly progress. So, don't give up hope, Change, it is acoming.......!:)

PS If your future self or kids want to see a movie called FROZEN, run.......you will never be able to string the words "Let it go" together again without kids and adults breaking into a song. You'll thank me in 5 years...

GetAPaperBag

When I read about news about the hat coming down in places other than this board it seems that most people are sad to see it go. I don't think this board necessarily is a good representation of what most of the people that go to WDW think and feel.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom