Is Rock 'n' Roller Coaster changing its theme soon?

Pam Hates Penguins

I went on this ride for the first time last year. Sorry to say, but I thought the theming for it to be boring and dated. The ride itself was fun, though I don't particularly love fast/rollercoaster type rides.

But the music is old now. The story is old now. Everyone likes to think that the music they particularly like...is "timeless". Sadly though, it isn't. As much as you want it to be. So if Disney want's to continue with the angle that a band stars in the show, they have to change bands.

Or, they can re-theme it. If they want to keep the "rockin" angle, they can create their own rock music and update it whenever they seem fit. I don't think anyone would mind if they recaptured this ride and made it into a pure Disney ride with no outside band involvement.

I'm fine with that as long as Disney doesn't work Star Wars or Marvel into it.

Musicman20

I had a feeling it would be re-themed. Doesn't seem like a long period to re-theme it though.

I imagine it literally is a lay-over of the current ride, but what about the cool exterior of the ride? The huge guitar? Is that staying?

I think most people would agree it NEEDS to stay up-beat and fun....rock is the best option. Foo Fighters would be a cool option and VERY current (and would appeal to any rock music fan from older Nirvana fans to the kids growing up with them now).

Musicman20

I'm fine with that as long as Disney doesn't work Star Wars or Marvel into it.

Didn't they re-theme it to Star Wars for the Force Awakens for one evening? I'm a huge Star Wars fan but I cannot see them re-theming it to that whilst there is so much other SW related things at the park. Unless it would be simply as a temporary few year theme until SW Land opens? Who knows.

Disneyhead'71

How about theme it to Goofy's Cab Co. They could have several crazy '30s style jazz tracks.
s-l225.jpg

Ripken10

Maybe I am off base here...but put me in my place...I love Rock'n'roller coaster (and GMR while your at it). But at it's core, could it be that both of these rides don't fit the direction of the park is going. The old theme (or current theme still in transition) was a behind the scenes look which both of these rides hit perfectly. But a new theme (which we are all still guessing on) to me it seems both these rides would be off the mark some (I know people can argue on both, but all that really matters is what Disney execs would think, and I could see how they could see a change to these rides is in order to fit the direction they are taking). So while Aerosmith may be the perfect band for the current ride, maybe it can't fit how the ride must be changed to fit what the new parks theme would be -- so it would have nothing to do with how timeless Aerosmith may or may not be (or, to argue my own point, maybe the idea of the ride has to change -- being backstage -- and while they change that it is a good time to change the band or theme as well, so that's what the execs and imagineers are trying to create now).

ShoalFox

In the Parks
Yes
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if there are rumors of this sort for the Paris version of RnRC?

*Q*

Forgive me if this has already been mentioned, but Screamscape posted the other day that he's heard that plans for a Hyperspace Mountain-style overlay for RnRC have been dropped.

Buried20KLeague

But the music is old now. The story is old now. Everyone likes to think that the music they particularly like...is "timeless". Sadly though, it isn't. As much as you want it to be. So if Disney want's to continue with the angle that a band stars in the show, they have to change bands.

Or maybe YOU just don't like it.

As of 2014 (the date this article was written), Aerosmith was #18 on the list of top grossing touring music acts of the past 25 years with a gross of $417,573,638.00. That makes the music anything but "old". And they toured in both 2015 and 2016, so that gross number is even higher at this point.

And I would assume you would consider many of the acts higher on that list as just as old or older than Aerosmith: Roger Waters, Madonna, Billy Joel, The Rolling Stones, Elton John, Celine Dion, the Eagles, etc...

http://www.kshe95.com/news/real-roc...osmith-acdc-among-top-concert-earners-past-25

The reality is Disney chose a near perfect fit for the attraction. Aerosmith is/was "edgy" and looks the part of rockers, but not so much so as to upset anyone... With certainly enough songs that nearly everyone could hum along to. And the songs are driving rock... Perfect for a launching, looping coaster.

IMO, the only way they'll change it is if they do something with a directly owned Disney IP. TDO won't spend the money to simply change out Aerosmith for some other band. What would be the motivation? It would take a mandate from above, and that would only come if there were some kind of opportunity for "synergy" (Iger's favorite word) and direct revenue and brand advancement because of it.

ElvisMickey

Or maybe YOU just don't like it.

As of 2014 (the date this article was written), Aerosmith was #18 on the list of top grossing touring music acts of the past 25 years with a gross of $417,573,638.00. That makes the music anything but "old". And they toured in both 2015 and 2016, so that gross number is even higher at this point.

And I would assume you would consider many of the acts higher on that list as just as old or older than Aerosmith: Roger Waters, Madonna, Billy Joel, The Rolling Stones, Elton John, Celine Dion, the Eagles, etc...

http://www.kshe95.com/news/real-roc...osmith-acdc-among-top-concert-earners-past-25

The reality is Disney chose a near perfect fit for the attraction. Aerosmith is/was "edgy" and looks the part of rockers, but not so much so as to upset anyone... With certainly enough songs that nearly everyone could hum along to. And the songs are driving rock... Perfect for a launching, looping coaster.

IMO, the only way they'll change it is if they do something with a directly owned Disney IP. TDO won't spend the money to simply change out Aerosmith for some other band. What would be the motivation? It would take a mandate from above, and that would only come if there were some kind of opportunity for "synergy" (Iger's favorite word) and direct revenue and brand advancement because of it.

At the time this ride was created, Disney had also just worked with Aerosmith on the Armageddon soundtrack with "I Don't Want To Miss A Thing", so the synergy was there. But aside from that, I totally agree with your points how Aerosmith was a near perfect fit. With that being said, I may be a little bias considering Aerosmith is my favorite band of all time :cool:.

Disneyfan_76

With Stitch going away from tomorrowland, perhaps they could "value engineer" a refurb, reuse the materials for the preshow. The story could have Stitch stealing...er ...borrowing a limo, wouldn't need to change the ride too much. The music could be anything you wanted, but obviously Elvis would fit best. The classic rock n roll would maybe even fit better. Just hopefully they would avoid signage such as.. 'RnR, Now with Stitch!'

ChrisM

I have it on good authority that Aerosmith is being replaced with Gwar (apparently Iger himself stepped in to veto Insane Clown Posse at the last minute).

The queue will now feature an elaborate pre-show sequence with Balsac the Jaws of Death.

JWG

This ride screams personal audio choice similar to Rip Ride Rocket at Universal. User selects from a limited number of tracks and that audio is delivered directly to the specific seat via in seat speakers. Problem solved for everyone.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom