Is it really that bad?

thomas998

So we are deciding between DL and WDW with my family (wife, 2 year old and 1 year old and possibly grandparents).

My wife and I used to be cast members and haven’t been since 2018 so a lot has changed. We really wanted everything to be back to normal or near normal before we returned to wdw.

So, we are debating doing a trip to either Disneyland or wdw. At Disneyland, we’d do 4-5 full days and stay at the Disneyland hotel (potentially). For the wdw trip, I’m looking into renting dvc points somewhere or splitting a Disney hotel with the grandparents. The wdw trip would be 7-10 days.

Is disney world really as bad as everyone says it is? Aside from Genie+ as we already know we’re going to not like it lol.

Any advice on what trip you’d go on? Thanks!

Edit: also, we’d go to wdw in the off season in Jan or February. Disneyland would be next summer
Once upon a time I would have said WDW because DL was notorious for nickel and diming by fees if you dared to drive your car to the hotel... but now WDW has reached the same level of nickel and diming so it comes down to which place is better. DL wins so long as you are going solely for the Disney parks... IF you want Universal then Orlando's is far superior to what you get in California.

Only issue you may want to consider is when in the summer you do DL. I don't know if they are doing as many high school trips to DL as they used to but at certain times the parks can get overloaded with seniors on school trips. But DL is best enjoyed in the summer as it will have the fewest ride closures. If you have must see attractions then check the DL website and you can make sure it will be open when you are there. Though it is worst for refurbs in the offseason.

lordsigma

I live in the Northeast and go to WDW annually. Have a great time every trip - we stay offsite and do about three days in the parks - we also usually spend some time at Disney Springs which we really enjoy. I have only been to California once and did not visit DLR so I can’t speak for which one is better - when I went to California it was really going to see the sights and sounds of California and DLR simply wasn’t on the list. I think a lot of the complaints are some people being unhappy with of the changes in direction over the years - which im not really criticizing we all have our own preferences - there are some things I liked better in past years and some new things I think are cool. But if it was really so awful it wouldn’t gets millions of visitors. It’s certainly a bit of a splurge money wise which is why we do just 3 park days and do other things other days (day trips, brewery hopping etc.). But we still love it. Have only been to Universal once and not in years so also can’t speak as much to that other than it seems Universal in Orlando has a lot more than California. I’d probably say do whatever is most feasible cost wise, proximity, ease of traveling to etc. Would also say my family is all grown up and we are all adults going and I don’t have kids so I can’t speak to the kid factor other than that I really enjoyed it when I went as a kid.

Last edited:

lordsigma

Would also say I was there last year for the first day of Genie+. It didn’t exist yet for our first park day but it was operating for our other two park days. I think we went to MK on either the first or second day of genie+. I’m not a fan of having to pay for it but I did splurge and do it. I have to say I did find it useful and got on more attractions than I otherwise would have so I can’t say it isn’t helpful. But again…as an adult trip I’m also just paying my own way and not for wife, kids, etc.

Married5Times

The biggest issue with DL, at least for me, is that it's in (or technically near) LA. There are just so many other interesting things to do there that it's hard to make time for DL on a trip.

I hear ya.............BUT......Dl trumps every specific thing in the greater LA area, dare I say all of Califonia(perhaps Yosemite is the better item to visit) no? I mean is there one specific museum, beach, event, or place that beats Disneyland head to head in that vast region of concrete? Collectively, of course they pummel Dl but item to item or event to event I just don't see it.

I mean what's better Griffith Observatory(cool no doubt) or Dl; Hollywood walk of fame(interessting no doubt) or Dl; La Brea Tar pits(historical significance) or Dl; Scientology museum(don't ask) or Dl; Santa Monica Beach(so much energy and local free for all) or Dl??

Jrb1979

I hear ya.............BUT......Dl trumps every specific thing in the greater LA area, dare I say all of Califonia(perhaps Yosemite is the better item to visit) no? I mean is there one specific museum, beach, event, or place that beats Disneyland head to head in that vast region of concrete? Collectively, of course they pummel Dl but item to item or event to event I just don't see it.

I mean what's better Griffith Observatory(cool no doubt) or Dl; Hollywood walk of fame(interessting no doubt) or Dl; La Brea Tar pits(historical significance) or Dl; Scientology museum(don't ask) or Dl; Santa Monica Beach(so much energy and local free for all) or Dl??
I would out Knotts right up there with DL.

Californian Elitist

your 'no' implies that you feel there is at least one specific bigger/grander/better/more significant thing in the greater LA area for the tourist than DL
what is it?
Not only was the “no” in reference to that, but it was also in reference to the “all of California” part of your comment, which is absurd and borderline insulting.

The list is too long. California should never boil down to Disneyland.

rk03221

Original Poster
Not only was the “no” in reference to that, but it was also in reference to the “all of California” part of your comment, which is absurd and borderline insulting.

The list is too long. California should never boil down to Disneyland.
Most of my family is in southern CA (LA area), so we’d do a split family/CA trip and then DL. So, 5 days of each

ceecee101

The Griffith Observatory, the Santa Monica Pier, La Brea Tar Pits, Hollywood, the Getty Center, the Getty Villa, all of the historic studio lots (Paramount, W.B., etc.), Huntington Library and Gardens, the Original Farmers Market, the National History Museum, the Peterson Museum...

I could keep going, but even beyond specific attractions there's a ton of interesting architecture. Just walking/riding around L.A. is fun because of the architecture of not just the larger buildings but even random homes. To be technical, some of that isn't actually in Los Angeles proper, but that's beside the point.

I like NYC, but LA is actually my favorite city to visit in the US.
And the beaches!

the_rich

So we are deciding between DL and WDW with my family (wife, 2 year old and 1 year old and possibly grandparents).

My wife and I used to be cast members and haven’t been since 2018 so a lot has changed. We really wanted everything to be back to normal or near normal before we returned to wdw.

So, we are debating doing a trip to either Disneyland or wdw. At Disneyland, we’d do 4-5 full days and stay at the Disneyland hotel (potentially). For the wdw trip, I’m looking into renting dvc points somewhere or splitting a Disney hotel with the grandparents. The wdw trip would be 7-10 days.

Is disney world really as bad as everyone says it is? Aside from Genie+ as we already know we’re going to not like it lol.

Edit: also, we’d go to wdw in the off season in Jan or February. Disneyland would be next summer
I've been to both within the last year. Aug 2021 for Dl and this past week for wdw. I had a great time at both. What Dl has going for it is a more laid back experience and less walking. Whereas wdw is a little more hectic. Wdw also has ak(my favorite park) and world showcase. It's a hard decision. I'm actually going back to Dl in December. In the end for me it's do you want the variety of the 4 parks or the more relaxing experience in dl. You really can't go wrong either way.

BWW

With children that small, I'd give the edge to Disneyland as well, particularly if you plan to stay onsite (although DL also has a number of offsite hotels in easy walking distance). The smaller footprint will be much easier to manage, and there's just as much (if not more) for little ones to appreciate with respect to attractions. WDW may have more to do overall, but with infants/toddlers, your "active time" for touring is going to be significantly limited, and you'll barely get to scratch the surface.

Because it's so much bigger and requires so much more walking, I'd put off WDW for another 3-4 years, until the kids are old/big enough not to need diapers or strollers (and - fingers crossed - maybe parkhopping limits, or park reservations, or Genie+/ILL, might be eliminated or improved by then), but of course, one's tolerance for those things is strictly a personal preference.
This was a really good answer. You should apply for the Moms Panel!

Thepuma

For me, the biggest determiner of good or bad is crowd levels. I am thinking January is about as good as it gets as far as that goes, so it is probably going to be ok.

WDW for sure, if youre doing a 10 day'er. I would be sure to do MK on like a Monday or Tuesday since that park seems to be busiest on the weekend.

It's strange isn't it...for years I assumed the parks would be busiest at the weekend and always planned to forego the parks at weekends during our vacations...cut to this holiday (here now) and looked at the Thrill-Data website, only to find Sunday's are the quietest days of the week on average, Saturdays being second quietest. I don't know how accurate the website is, but I have no reason to doubt it.

Infact, the day I thought would be quietest is by far the busiest..being Mondays.

I guess it's logic really, Saturdays are the turnaround days for most vacations, so a lot of people are checking in and out and not in the parks.

JusticeDisney

WDW is not even close to as bad as the incessant whiners on this board would have you believe it is. Are there things that could be improved? Of course there are. But overall, it’s still an absolute ton of fun.

jloucks

It's strange isn't it...for years I assumed the parks would be busiest at the weekend and always planned to forego the parks at weekends during our vacations...cut to this holiday (here now) and looked at the Thrill-Data website, only to find Sunday's are the quietest days of the week on average, Saturdays being second quietest. I don't know how accurate the website is, but I have no reason to doubt it.

Infact, the day I thought would be quietest is by far the busiest..being Mondays.

I guess it's logic really, Saturdays are the turnaround days for most vacations, so a lot of people are checking in and out and not in the parks.

Maybe it is based on factors I don't understand. I know I was in the park March 12 and it was miserably crowded. Epcot on the 13th was also bad.

...also Spring Break bumper days so there is that.

I didn't take my own advice because I was not in charge. Just a follower into the flame.

rk03221

Original Poster
WDW is not even close to as bad as the incessant whiners on this board would have you believe it is. Are there things that could be improved? Of course there are. But overall, it’s still an absolute ton of fun.
That’s good to hear. Let’s be honest, Disney fans in general whine about everything lol

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
We just got back and it was a pleasant surprise that the trip was really really fun... sans the heat lol... unfortunately we missed out on some of the character dining coming back & Fantasmic which would have been really nice but cant have everything. With all that being said they still need to improve capacity and shuttered attractions need to be opened up & hours need to be extended Having HS & Epcot closing at 9pm during LDW is nuts even MK closing at 11pm....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom