Is it really that bad?

bhg469

What do you mean? There is plenty to see in Southern California outside of Disneyland and Knott’s. Far more than in the Orlando area.
I guess you could say that but Orlando is much more Concentrated. Southern California will take hours to get from place to place.. We really did enjoy the LA farmers market though! It was super cool.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
This drives my girlfriend crazy, I refer to all of metro LA as LA, doesn’t matter if it’s Corona, Rancho Cucamonga, Anaheim, Universal City, Dana Point… I call it all LA. I think that’s true of most places though, the Strip isn’t technically in Las Vegas, WDW isn’t technically in Orlando, etc.
It’s about a 75 square mile radius of build…do the names actually matter?

Not just there…but I know people that live on opposite sides of township/municipal border and claim its different across a 2 lane street.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
What do you mean? There is plenty to see in Southern California outside of Disneyland and Knott’s. Far more than in the Orlando area.
Oh don’t misunderstand. I’m not saying there’s nothing to see…

I’m saying Orlando was designed for tourists…that’s all that’s there (bs local declarative stuff aside)…

I’m saying big highways and too much on top of you makes a lot of tourists uncomfortable. I mean I zip in and out of New York City all the time…but I grew up where “major” highways are 4 lanes and 15 miles between exits.
Navigating the 5 is another animal to alot of tourists. So in the “bubble” Is often preferable.

Last edited:

Angel Ariel

I’ll be the odd one out I guess - we’ve often (even pre-DD, so it’s not related to DAS needs) spent 5 days at DLR and often don’t see everything we want to. With all the entertainment and characters on top of rides, we always had plenty to do at the resort.

There have been times we’ve split with San Diego as well (2 in SD, 3 in DLR), but we feel that missing time at DLR.

Mickey5150

If the kids were a little older I would say DLR because of how good their Fantasyland is. There is so much more to see in WDW which is why I'd prefer it for really young kids. Between Animal Kingdom and Epcot there is just so many more things to grab a child's attention. Disneyland has really become all about the rides whereas Walt Disney World still has so many attractions that are just things to see and that's why I'll always love it more.

Californian Elitist

OK, could you elaborate? They've removed most of their shows, They've cleared out seating along walkways. The only places to sit and relax are restaurants.
Removed most of their shows? Which ones are you speaking of? Because most the entertainment is back. Mickey and the Magical Map is gone, but it’s already been replaced. We’re still waiting on Magic Happens.

Also… What does sitting and relaxing have to do with your statement that I originally countered, which was Disneyland is all about rides?

The live street entertainment is back as well. I nearly forgot to mention that. Dapper Dans, the Disneyland Band, the Pearly Band, Bootstrappers, the All-American College Band, Five & Dime, etc…all back. I should mention that the characters are back to performing with the Pearly Band, too.

Mary and Bert come in at around 2:30:

Mad Hatter comes in at 6:00:

These were recorded respectively one month and two weeks ago.

Mickey5150

Removed most of their shows? Which ones are you speaking of? Because most the entertainment is back. Mickey and the Magical Map is gone, but it’s already been replaced. We’re still waiting on Magic Happens.

Also… What does sitting and relaxing have to do with your statement that I originally countered, which was Disneyland is all about rides?

The live street entertainment is back as well. I nearly forgot to mention that. Dapper Dans, the Disneyland Band, the Pearly Band, Bootstrappers, the All-American College Band, Five & Dime, etc…all back. I should mention that the characters are back to performing with the Pearly Band, too.

Mary and Bert come in at around 2:30:

Mad Hatter comes in at 6:00:

These were recorded respectively one month and two weeks ago.

I'm not talking about covid. I'm talking about the history of Disneyland over time. Things like removing the theater in Tomorrowland, removing the people movers, the project to open up all the walkways when Galaxy's Edge opened. Disney has been doing all they can to take away any moment of just sitting and taking in the park and made the whole place 1 long lin from queue to queue. At WDW there are still so many experiences that can be done without waiting in a line, they have built specific locations to just relax, such as the Casey Jr area and the Tangled bathrooms. So much of the Animal Kingdom is just there to take it slow and soak it in. Again Disneyland is great for the rides, but doesn't have those moments that are all around WDW.

Californian Elitist

I'm not talking about covid. I'm talking about the history of Disneyland over time. Things like removing the theater in Tomorrowland, removing the people movers, the project to open up all the walkways when Galaxy's Edge opened. Disney has been doing all they can to take away any moment of just sitting and taking in the park and made the whole place 1 long lin from queue to queue. At WDW there are still so many experiences that can be done without waiting in a line, they have built specific locations to just relax, such as the Casey Jr area and the Tangled bathrooms. So much of the Animal Kingdom is just there to take it slow and soak it in. Again Disneyland is great for the rides, but doesn't have those moments that are all around WDW.
You’re still wrong. One isn’t forced to stand in queues all day at Disneyland. Additionally, there are rest areas/stations. Maybe you haven’t been in the past 20-30 years? Or you just haven’t paid attention/don’t know.

Californian Elitist

Also, one has to wait in a line to ride PM in MK, so not sure why you mentioned it.

EDIT: Re-reading your post again, it’s all over the place. What do widened walkways have to do with having a place to sit and enjoy the sights? Are we talking about crowd control or rest areas? Or extinct rides that required waiting in lines?

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

Seating in and around the hub:

53FFB85D-D3EF-414F-B895-A26D4362B75F.jpeg

Main Street Cinema seating:

9E9B5175-739C-4C65-B3BC-2D39CA22F515.jpeg

Opera House lobby seating:

060A2F36-7419-41FE-87F4-AC0A5674F629.jpeg

That one porch on Main Street that actually has seating, albeit very limited:

F8BC5D50-C012-407A-A171-B11A235AC1FB.jpeg

Fantasyland seating near Casey:

DF9370E5-EF9E-4AAD-A849-00BA447F2A19.jpeg

Old Motorboat Cruise area seating:

26CB73CF-53E7-4017-8C3B-3E49498A7631.jpeg

Californian Elitist

The PM is rumored to be making a return home to DL, but I’ll have to wait until that actually happens to post photos, even though that’s an actual ride and not seating, nor is it a show.

Speaking of shows, I can post YouTube videos of the shows at the park, too, since it was mentioned earlier that the park apparently has removed most of its shows.

Walt Disney1955

I would say with your young kids at that age that Disneyland is the better sell. More dark rides, more in Fantasyland, more attractions in general, probably less waiting in line. Disneyland is still the better individual park out of any of them. WDW is definitely grander and more of a family vacation, but I would say if you want to get more out of your vacation with the children at the age they are, then go to Disneyland. Less walking too and I am not a stroller fan, but I saw the ages of your kids, they are likely to legitimately be in a stroller I am guessing.

ppete1975

You cant ignore the effects of Genie+. First, it’s sn additional $15/day/person.

And, it’s better suited for a family with older children or young adults. If your children are early risers, at least one parent needs to tend to them. That leaves only one person available to snag reservations.

Remember, popular rides are sold out within seconds. That means long lines with children. And sometimes the LLs are longer than standby.

You can have a good visit… if your expectations are low.

Wish I could change my name to HateGenie+
I asked the poster those questions because nostalgia and past experiences have a place in this discussion, not just land vs world especially if they were cast members.

Vegas Disney Fan

I guess you could say that but Orlando is much more Concentrated. Southern California will take hours to get from place to place.. We really did enjoy the LA farmers market though! It was super cool.

We’ve been to Disneyland hundreds of times and still haven’t visited a lot of the other “tourist” stuff in LA simply because the stressful traffic destroys any sense of relaxing vacation to us.

I’ll never forget our first visit to Universal, we decided to sacrifice a Disney day to check it out (since it’s “only” 20 miles away) and spent nearly 2 hours in traffic getting there, about 6 hours in the park, and another nearly 2 hours in traffic getting back to our Disney hotel. Never again!

Now if we want to go to Universal we check out and move to a hotel near Universal, if we want to go to Newport Beach we check out and move to a hotel near the beach… day trips are possible while staying at Disney but only if you don’t mind spending a lot of your vacation sitting in a car.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom