Is it really that bad?

Californian Elitist

This drives my girlfriend crazy, I refer to all of metro LA as LA, doesn’t matter if it’s Corona, Rancho Cucamonga, Anaheim, Universal City, Dana Point… I call it all LA.
Absolutely NOT. The only one on the list that pretty much counts/could arguable make a case for is Universal City.

I’m with your girlfriend, you would drive me crazy, too. LOL.

fgmnt

I can't tell from your post; have you ever been to Disneyland? I sound like a total freak saying this, but it is the closest I will ever feel to experiencing a pilgrimage (unless I ever get to TDS). If you have never been, obviously go.

If you are trying to make for a more unique and varied vacation, I would go to DLR as part of a trip to see other things in Southern California. If you want to just completely veg out and sign over a few mortgage payments for 10 days, WDW is obviously better.

If you are comparing resort experience apples-to-apples, DLR is the better value. Higher attraction density and walking distance to both parks from the onsite hotels. I think 4 days in Anaheim is great, 10 days in WDW alone sounds almost too long.

Angel Ariel

If you were planning a weekend trip I’d vote DL but for such a long vacation I have to vote WDW, if just offers a lot more to do while staying in vacation mode.

DL and DCA are better theme parks (to us) but WDW is a better vacation, by day 3 at DL we’re usually ready to head home, we can spend a week at WDW and still feel like we missed out on half the things we wanted to do. More dining options, more shopping options, more hotel options, water parks, resort hopping…there’s just more to see and do in general and because there’s so much to do outside the chaos in the parks we find it more relaxing.

For what you’ll pay for a week of DL at the Disneyland hotel you could spend a week at a moderate in WDW and add a 3 night Disney cruise out of Port Canaveral for the same price.
We have consistently spent 5 days at DL (as we do at WDW), and never felt like we got everything done. Especially with all the entertainment options and characters. IMO, it’s very much dependent on individual experience.

We don’t stay onsite at DLR, we stay at a harbor hotel right at the intersection. We’ve spent 1 night at the Disneyland hotel and it was nice, but like the deluxes at WDW, not worth it if you’re spending all your time in the parks.

Djsfantasi

i think both parks will look different in jan/feb than they do now.... especially wdw

For the past five years, I’ve always gone to WDW in January. It’s less crowded and I got to do everything I wanted.

Until this year.

January was as crowded as June. I ended up getting one ONE ride and one TS meal per park. With all costs consisted, I spent $500 a day for one ride. Genie+ either was only available late at night and availability of rides always conflicted with our ADRs.

I’ll admit my trip was likely unusual. But, I figure that unless you get up at 6:30am and stay until park close, you are going to have problems. Be prepared to miss the E ticket attractions and ride only the lesser attractions. And forget TS but plan on spending as much time getting QS meals (hour long waits, limited availability, effectively QS requires reservations which are restricted)

It’s a whole new game in Orlando and I don’t know how to play it yet. im in the parks by 9 but that doesn’t work in the Genie+ world. I’m not an early morning person and I’m in bed by 9pm. I can’t stand in line for more than an hour so ECVs are a necessary added expense.

Until this year, that was not a problem.

TrainsOfDisney

I just finished up a Disneyland trip and I would highly recommend it. I haven’t been back to WDW since covid but Disneyland feels like it’s old self. All the fireworks and nighttime shows are back. Street entertainment, red car trolley, Disneyland railroad. A few restaurants have shorter operating hours but it really doesn’t feel like anything has changed.

adamparanoia

I think Disneyland is the best "kingdom" park with an astonishing amount of attractions, more detail and charm to its lands, and better versions of rides ex. pirates, BUT if you want to experience Animal Kingdom, Epcot, or the (far superior) Universal Orlando resort, I would do Florida.

JoeCamel

I think Disneyland is the best "kingdom" park with an astonishing amount of attractions, more detail and charm to its lands, and better versions of rides ex. pirates, BUT if you want to experience Animal Kingdom, Epcot, or the (far superior) Universal Orlando resort, I would do Florida.
That guy in your avatar got your arm up behind your back?

Djsfantasi

Some questions
1) where were you cast members -land or world
2) What do you want to see? Some things are only at land others are at world (for me Have to see epcot)
3) have you been to both
4) where do you live? Is one closer to you?
5) Are there special memories that either park has for you or the people going?

I would leave out the concern for genie plus and some of the grumblings, and look into what you want out of the trip.
You cant ignore the effects of Genie+. First, it’s sn additional $15/day/person.

And, it’s better suited for a family with older children or young adults. If your children are early risers, at least one parent needs to tend to them. That leaves only one person available to snag reservations.

Remember, popular rides are sold out within seconds. That means long lines with children. And sometimes the LLs are longer than standby.

You can have a good visit… if your expectations are low.

Wish I could change my name to HateGenie+

saymarc

I mean WDW is partially in Orlando at least but you're right. We went to "LA" and we just had to go to DL just because. If you're a Disney world fan and you don't even consider going to Disneyland, you're a fraud... I am so glad we went but at the same time it somewhat ruined WDW for me.
How did going to Disneyland ruin WDW for you?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
WDW is far better than DL, despite all the negative things you read here and even my own complaints. More to do, bigger, better hotels, more restaurant options, has EPCOT and AK, and has the Carousel and PeopleMover.
It’s better for college kids on spring break…
Not so sure about toddlers?

Oh wait…yes I do.

I know Disney world backwards and forwards…it has advantages and disadvantages…don’t know if sprawling is better with kids that age?

fgmnt

Many “purists” prefer Disneyland because it retains a more quaint quality and pricing (relatively speaking) than what the bobs have done in Orlando. It just feels like they’re more “in your pockets” in Florida. Even if it’s mostly perception.
One thing that will never get less frustrating in Florida is how it takes, conservatively, 30 minutes to commute to a park even when you are staying on property, be it by bus, boat, monorail, cable car, or even private car. At DLR you can stay at an offsite hotel and walk over!

Sir_Cliff

DL and DCA are better theme parks (to us) but WDW is a better vacation, by day 3 at DL we’re usually ready to head home, we can spend a week at WDW and still feel like we missed out on half the things we wanted to do. More dining options, more shopping options, more hotel options, water parks, resort hopping…there’s just more to see and do in general and because there’s so much to do outside the chaos in the parks we find it more relaxing.
I haven't been to either in a little while, but this is also how I tend to see it. Virtually everything that's at DLR is better than its equivalent at WDW. The parks are far more packed with attractions and it's less tiring. However, whenever I have spent a more extended period at DLR I've also begun to feel it was time to move on by day 3. That's partially a testament to DLR having everything so close together and avoiding the insane lines and planning of WDW. There are also plenty of other things you can do nearby to occupy extra days.

Overall, for all its problems I feel you can easily go to WDW for a week and never really leave if that's what you want, whereas I would be bored doing that at DLR and wouldn't recommend it beyond 2-3 days without having other things planned.

This drives my girlfriend crazy, I refer to all of metro LA as LA, doesn’t matter if it’s Corona, Rancho Cucamonga, Anaheim, Universal City, Dana Point… I call it all LA. I think that’s true of most places though, the Strip isn’t technically in Las Vegas, WDW isn’t technically in Orlando, etc.
Being from Australia, everyone just calls everything in that metro area as LA: You fly to LAX, you end up in LA! No-one is studying where different parts of the metro begin and end. I kind of feel for tourists that is pretty normal.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I agree with alot of the wise opinions here.

Disneyland isn’t a “long” trip. 3 maybe 4 days and it’s tapped out. The Highway tangle around la/Anaheim make it less appealing to venture off as well. Knotts is worth it for Extra entertainment.

Disney world and tourist Mecca Orlando offers more for long trips…but the sprawl on and off property makes it a little more day to day frustrating.

Communicora

Premium Member
I agree with alot of the wise opinions here.

Disneyland isn’t a “long” trip. 3 maybe 4 days and it’s tapped out. The Highway tangle around la/Anaheim make it less appealing to venture off as well. Knotts is worth it for Extra entertainment.

Disney world and tourist Mecca Orlando offers more for long trips…but the sprawl on and off property makes it a little more day to day frustrating.
What do you mean? There is plenty to see in Southern California outside of Disneyland and Knott’s. Far more than in the Orlando area.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom