Iger out in 2018

brb1006

In terms of Parks and Resorts from a worldwide perspective:

After the disappointing start of Disneyland Paris and the death of Frank Wells, Eisner's/Pressler's regime underinvested in new parks and attractions, resulting in huge cuts to AK's plans, DCA 1.0, WDSP, and HKDL. These projects included going against fundamental Imagineering principles, such as a lack of emphasis on placemaking (in DCA and WDSP), disregarding whether the outside world is visible from inside the park (especially DCA), inclusion of off-the-shelf rides (DCA), under-budgeting for new attractions, a huge brain drain that sent some of WDI's greatest minds to the competition, among other problems.

Iger started his tenure by immediately ending the "stategic planning group" that was cutting budgets on new attractions, and investing heavily into the incomplete/low-quality parks that were opened by the prior administration: 1.1 billion to fix DCA and hundreds of millions for WDSP and HKDL. Those investments were first priority because of the actions of the prior administration. If those had been full parks from the beginning, Disney would have been much more likely to invest more of that in WDW. But those parks were apparently viewed as emergencies.

There is much to discuss about things like the merits of SDL (I can understand how they viewed it as necessary to get a second chance at entering the Chinese market before it was saturated), the emphasis on IPs throughout the parks (I would prefer more original content), the quality of NFL (I wish it had one E rather than two Ds), price increases (to keep the revenue up while Disney catches up on development that will increase actual attendance), magic bands, etc. However, to me, it seems that Iger's biggest influence on the parks has been the reinvestment in opening major, high-quality attractions and immersive placemaking, even though I wish this trend had arrived at WDW sooner.

(Of course, this is a simplification that excludes details such as the role of Staggs in various decisions, the current placement of Chapek and whether it will mark a backslide in some of these things, etc.)
At least he brought Oswald back

brb1006

Epcot was a massive over budget mess. And the same Disney that did Hong Kong and Shanghai is the one that thankfully is rescuing Paris so a little bit of a mix message there. That said, I would rather have a massive over budget mess then a 1989 Disney-MGM, 1998 DAK or a 2005 Hong Kong. All of which opened with, or all intents and purposes, single digit number of attractions. Its nice to have an over budget park with more then 10 rides on opening day.
I'm still curious to see how the public will think on opening day for Shanghai?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
For all the Iger lovers out there

Eisner grew the company 800% and had gross margins which Iger has not yet been able to match

Iger grew the company's revenues 67%

By the way that INCLUDES Star Wars and Marvel

Iger's only achievement has been the STOCK PRICE and that can be wiped out in a day of trading

Yeah Iger is a hero to Wall St and no one else

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Just buckle up, it's going to be a bumpy flight. The writings on the wall for anyone who cares to read it.

It is indeed and if you have Disney stock sell it now. Disney is like Qualcomm in 1998.

I was listening to a finance show then and the host was breathlessly hyping Qualcomm at 400/share. I had some which I immediately dumped because I had a Qualcomm phone which to be charitable was junk and my thought was the company which builds this is not worth 400/share

The same is true with Disney if you brush the pixie dust from your eyes

Goofyernmost

For all the Iger lovers out there

Eisner grew the company 800% and had gross margins which Iger has not yet been able to match

Iger grew the company's revenues 67%

By the way that INCLUDES Star Wars and Marvel

Iger's only achievement has been the STOCK PRICE and that can be wiped out in a day of trading

Yeah Iger is a hero to Wall St and no one else
Well, it is much easier to raise a percentage if your starting number is smaller, math has many requirements to be accurate especially if you are using percentages. It has to be in relation to something.

800% of $1000.00 (fictional number, don't ask for a source) is infinitely less impressive then 67% of a Billion (still fiction). Initial growth can hardly ever be sustained percentage-wise when you are starting at zero. If I start a business from the ground up what percentage of increase would I have if I only took in $1000.00 that first year. Then in the second year I took in double that number. On the surface it would sound successful, but, since the amount was small to begin with, it is less then impressive. In order to have a percentage mean anything it must be accompanied by whatever number it relates too. Without, that accompaniment it is just a group of meaningless numbers.

Rteetz

Epcot was a massive over budget mess. And the same Disney that did Hong Kong and Shanghai is the one that thankfully is rescuing Paris so a little bit of a mix message there. That said, I would rather have a massive over budget mess then a 1989 Disney-MGM, 1998 DAK or a 2005 Hong Kong. All of which opened with, or all intents and purposes, single digit number of attractions. Its nice to have an over budget park with more then 10 rides on opening day.
Ok now would you rather have a 1982 Epcot or 2016 Epcot?

mickey v-neck

It is indeed and if you have Disney stock sell it now. Disney is like Qualcomm in 1998.

I was listening to a finance show then and the host was breathlessly hyping Qualcomm at 400/share. I had some which I immediately dumped because I had a Qualcomm phone which to be charitable was junk and my thought was the company which builds this is not worth 400/share

The same is true with Disney if you brush the pixie dust from your eyes

LOL

plutofan15

The only thing Iger has is rediculously expensive tent pole films proping up the entire company. He has decimated the venerable Parks and Resorts division and ESPN (the DisCo.'s go to ATM machine) is tanking hard.

Things are going to get ugly. But hey, look! A new burger place in Disney Springs! Disney ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't believe all the doom & gloom you hear about ESPN "tanking hard". Yes, there are subscriber losses due to cutting the cord but the situation is not as dire as it is being painted.

Phineas

And once Iger leaves, will Dreamfinder and (the real) Figment be allowed out of Time Out?

They've thought long and hard about what what they did, Bob-honest!

And here's a wild idea: can our new fearless leader be someone who doesn't respond with actual laughter when asked about a proper Song of the South release? Crazy, I know.

Rodan75

I think the Spirit has stated it wisely, you should fanboi CEOs. They don't need anyone to defend their actions. I also don't think you can vilify a CEO either. They make decisions you can agree or disagree and voice your opinions.

I think it is stunning, in this day and age that he is even publically stating that he is looking to retire. CEOs have a tendency to hold on to their empires forever. Look at the Redstone/Dauman mess, Les Moonves and Bewkes don't appear to be going anywhere anytime soon. Murdock successfully transitioned control over to his sons, finally, but I think that was more to avoid the Redstone drama.

CEO shake-ups are not always healthy for a company. I think Iger should hand off the CEO title between now and 2018 and stay as Chairman for 2-5 years to ensure a smooth transition.

Disone

Ok now would you rather have a 1982 Epcot or 2016 Epcot?

Off topic but will answer. 2016 epcot falls short of where it should be. That said i would take it over 1982. Illuminations, soaring, test track, marrocco, Arendale:), the festival's... Niether had or has wonders of life and i like space ship earth and living seas in there current form more. The issues with epcot to me is it what it could have been but just is not for no good reason. Its better then its 1982 self, but its still not anywhere near as great as it should be by now.

Eisner from 1998-2005 kinda was.

Terrible in those years.

Disone

And once Iger leaves, will Dreamfinder and (the real) Figment be allowed out of Time Out?

They've thought long and hard about what what they did, Bob-honest!

And here's a wild idea: can our new fearless leader be someone who doesn't respond with actual laughter when asked about a proper Song of the South release? Crazy, I know.

Dream Finder was banished before Iger and so was song of the south. Not reversing the past is not the same as making the decision to banish in the first place. These are the type of bob criticisms i just find perplexing.

Californian Elitist

This just might be the best news I've heard this week. BYE. As my grandmother used to say, don't let the doorknob hit you where the good Lord split you.

But who will be next? That's what I'm worried about.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom