Iger out in 2018

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Walt designed the Magic Kingdom with no parking lot so guests could not access it directly with cars. So, I believe it was always intended for each park and resort to have monorail access. The infrastructure was already in place for the monorail to continue to expand with growth. For example, Atlanta's Marta rail continues to extend across the state of Georgia.

For example Marta extends service primarily to 3 out of the 159 counties in Georgia so I would hesitate to call it continuing to expand ubiquitously as well as its a political hot potato. Its also considered transportation of last choice.

Siren

For example Marta extends service primarily to 3 out of the 159 counties in Georgia so I would hesitate to call it continuing to expand ubiquitously as well as its a political hot potato. Its also considered transportation of last choice.
Hi @networkpro! Thanks for providing some insight on Marta. We used it once to get from Atlanta airport to Dunwoody for a brief visit -- we were the only people on it but I thought it was nice at the time. It's sad to hear that Marta is the last choice of transport because Atlanta's traffic is a total nightmare and those carpool lanes are just hilarious. LOL.

I don't think Disney should expand the monorail right now. I just feel like Disney missed a golden opportunity to extend the monorail with each expansion, as they were building.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Hi @networkpro! Thanks for providing some insight on Marta. We used it once to get from Atlanta airport to Dunwoody for a brief visit -- we were the only people on it but I thought it was nice at the time. It's sad to hear that Marta is the last choice of transport because Atlanta's traffic is a total nightmare and those carpool lanes are just hilarious. LOL.

I don't think Disney should expand the monorail right now. I just feel like Disney missed a golden opportunity to extend the monorail with each expansion, as they were building.

Marta's woes are self imposed. When they built the rail lines originally, they placed the stations and routes so that they would connect the housing projects to downtown, not to reduce traffic.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Hi @TsWade2! Thanks for the article. Bob Bowman is a very interesting choice. I have never heard of him until now, but it looks like his experience as President of the MLB could be quite beneficial for Disney's issues regarding ESPN. Hopefully, he will have a knack for the theme parks too.
Hi @Siren! Bowman is not the President of MLB. He handles online media for MLB. He is a tech guy and has basically ZERO experience in theme park operations.

SorcererMC

Siren

Marta's woes are self imposed. When they built the rail lines originally, they placed the stations and routes so that they would connect the housing projects to downtown, not to reduce traffic.
Oh wow, I guess that makes sense. I really like how Marta is in the airport though. I think it would be so awesome to exit a plane and take MCO's monorail straight to Disney World. And, then Disney could just use Magical Express for the luggage.

Biff215

Hi @Siren! Bowman is not the President of MLB. He handles online media for MLB. He is a tech guy and has basically ZERO experience in theme park operations.
To be fair, his title is President... President, Business & Media to be exact. Not to be confused with the Comissioner, however, who oversees the entire MLB.

Interesting speculation, but not based on any real information as pointed out by the author. I'd expect them to choose someone with CEO experience, but I really wouldn't expect anyone with theme park experience. As important as the segment is to Disney, the media side definitely takes precedence.

TsWade2

To be fair, his title is President... President, Business & Media to be exact. Not to be confused with the Comissioner, however, who oversees the entire MLB.

Interesting speculation, but not based on any real information as pointed out by the author. I'd expect them to choose someone with CEO experience, but I really wouldn't expect anyone with theme park experience. As important as the segment is to Disney, the media side definitely takes precedence.
It's just a speculation and possibly a prediction. He might not be chosen.

AnotherDayAnotherDollar

Oh wow, I guess that makes sense. I really like how Marta is in the airport though. I think it would be so awesome to exit a plane and take MCO's monorail straight to Disney World. And, then Disney could just use Magical Express for the luggage.

If and when Disney expands the monorail, expansion to the airport would probably be in the last phase. Expansion between the parks, disney springs, and resorts would take precedence.

With that said, it would be cool and should be the goal to have the monorail expanded all the way to the airport.

Goofyernmost

If and when Disney expands the monorail, expansion to the airport would probably be in the last phase. Expansion between the parks, disney springs, and resorts would take precedence.

With that said, it would be cool and should be the goal to have the monorail expanded all the way to the airport.
Yes, and it is already scheduled to happen the day after hell freezes over. Keep an eye on the Weather Channel for that event.:)

RoysCabin

Yeah, the actual city of and the various attractions in Orlando would never go for a full monorail extension like that, and Disney would never finance one that long.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom