Iger out in 2018

SorcererMC

Anyhow, what will Iger's replacement do - stay the course? Or, what happens to the stock when Iger's replacement can't continue those stock performance levels? Inquiring minds want to know about that succession plan (eg including CNBC and Wall St analysts, and it could be 9-12 months before an announcement is made; I forget exactly when the contract is up; does anyone know offhand?)

DisneyFan 2000

In contrast, Eisner left in public, mainstream headline-grabbing, disgrace. The shareholders fired him. It's that simple. Just like any figure, in retrospect some would like to gloss over this period, much like you find people doing with someone like Nixon, but while folks could argue the coulda/shoulda/woulda's for eternity, there is no question at the time that it was most public and embarrassing ousting of a corporate head in recent memory.
Excuse me for digging up a relatively old post, just wanted to say you are spot on. I've recently seen some clamoring for Eisner to return, but seemed to recall nothing but (earned) disgust and contempt towards the man from back then. On a side note, boy were the boards fun back then. :p Everyone seemed to agree that things aren't good. The fandom was hands down the best type of watchmen against the suits at the company. Nowadays the park are in enough of a grey area to convince some that less-than-stellar ideas and decisions are a-OK.

AEfx

Walt didn't design anything... He died in 1966. The Magic Kingdom opened in 1971. He had a big hand in Disneyland's first 10 years but as far as I know he had little input in what WDW became, if that.

You are right - though (and I'm not a Walt expert, we have many who could surely weigh in) but I do believe that he chose the site, and expressed desires that the parks be visually isolated, as that was his pet peeve about Disneyland (everything that sprang up around it).

Rteetz

You are right - though (and I'm not a Walt expert, we have many who could surely weigh in) but I do believe that he chose the site, and expressed desires that the parks be visually isolated, as that was his pet peeve about Disneyland (everything that sprang up around it).
Yes where the MK is today is where Walt wanted it as far as I know. There were also some of his ideas brought in for the original construction. Like Walt didn't like Frontierland CMs walking in Tomorrowland and such so Imagineers came up with utilizers.

AEfx

Excuse me for digging up a relatively old post, just wanted to say you are spot on. I've recently seen some clamoring for Eisner to return, but seemed to recall nothing but (earned) disgust and contempt towards the man from back then. On a side note, boy were the boards fun back then. :p

It's still true, even today - Eisner's ousting is one of the most infamous incidents in American corporate history because of its high profile and massive shareholder support. It remains one of the (if not the?) largest "no confidence" votes on record, and he left in disgrace (which is why he has almost disappeared from relevance despite of how relatively young he still was).

Bluewaves

The company has major issues that they'll have to deal, biggest being ESPN and the mess it's making on the balance sheet with cable subs dropping. It doesn't feel like Disney is grooming anyone internally for the job either which is a concern.

xstech25

The discussion about Walt's vision vs. Michales vs. Bob's is tired and repetitive. Post Magic Kingdom, obviously WDW was not developed anything like Walt had envisioned. It is a massive mix of entertainment, hospitality, and retail venues, most all of which are extremely successful but were developed at different times under different regemes and not part of one big master plan that can easily be tied together with one rail system.

Like most I would be happy with a rail expansion but I just can't see it happening as it would be so complicated and expensive. Look at WDW's highest volume resorts: Pop Century, All Stars, Port Orleans...those resorts would benefit from a monorail expansion the most because the buses go out full so often, but because of what they are they would probably be last in line to get a rail. I would say the most likely thing that's going to happen is more buses, bigger buses, more boats, bigger boats. 20-30 years from now I wouldn't be surprised to see bus lanes (like Disney Springs) all over WDW property. More hotels and venues are going to be built over time I don't think Disney will see constantly expanding the monorail as feasible.

Last edited:

rob0519

Can I throw in that WDW MK was once considered the best example of modern urban planning? I rarely see that mentioned.

Ok, I've not heard this before. Would you have any source(s) on that? Although modern urban planning in 1970 is quite different from today.

SorcererMC

Ok, I've not heard this before. Would you have any source(s) on that? Although modern urban planning in 1970 is quite different from today.

It seems my memory mixed this up a bit; the comment refers to Disneyland MK. I imagine it holds true for WDW as well; keep in mind EPCOT design, too. It was first brought to my attention many years ago by a geography professor (ETA:~2007) when we were looking at planned cities. Here is a link and excerpt though via WDFM:
http://www.waltdisney.org/blog/anniversary-day
The success of Disneyland impressed Developer James W. Rouse sufficiently to state in his keynote speech before the 1963 Urban Design Conference at Harvard University, “that the greatest piece of urban design in the United States today is Disneyland. If you think about Disneyland and think of its performance in relationship to its purpose, it’s meaning to people—more than that, it’s meaning to the process of development—you will find it the outstanding piece of urban design in the United States. It took an area of activity—the amusement park—and lifted it to a standard so high in its performance, in its respect for people, in its functioning for people, that it really does become a brand new thing.”
Unfortunately the one area Walt did not have any design control over was the land surrounding his Magic Kingdom.
----------------------
I also think that there were similar comments/studies made in 1972 after WDW opened. I would have to do some searching though.​

Last edited:

rob0519

It seems my memory mixed this up a bit; the comment refers to Disneyland MK. I imagine it holds true for WDW as well; keep in mind EPCOT design, too. It was first brought to my attention many years ago by a geography professor (ETA:~2007) when we were looking at planned cities. Here is a link and excerpt though via WDFM:
http://www.waltdisney.org/blog/anniversary-day
The success of Disneyland impressed Developer James W. Rouse sufficiently to state in his keynote speech before the 1963 Urban Design Conference at Harvard University, “that the greatest piece of urban design in the United States today is Disneyland. If you think about Disneyland and think of its performance in relationship to its purpose, it’s meaning to people—more than that, it’s meaning to the process of development—you will find it the outstanding piece of urban design in the United States. It took an area of activity—the amusement park—and lifted it to a standard so high in its performance, in its respect for people, in its functioning for people, that it really does become a brand new thing.”
Unfortunately the one area Walt did not have any design control over was the land surrounding his Magic Kingdom.
----------------------
I also think that there were similar comments/studies made in 1972 after WDW opened. I would have to do some searching though.​
Thanks. This was really interesting. "Lifting it to a standard so high in it's performance" is quite a statement.

Bacon

What if the new CEO is Eisner's son
agape.gif

Goofyernmost

There was an early new report, not long after WDW opened that used that phrase. It was Chet Huntley or David Brinkley, I get the two mixed up. That said that. He was commenting on the transportation system (i.e. Monorail, people movers, etc) and the layout of the property to that point. However, there wasn't a whole lot of layout at the time. There was MK, Golf Courses, The Disney Shopping area, the contemporary and the Poly and a few other assorted things on property. That video does indeed exist. I first saw it on DVD's that Disney once sold (probably VCR's at the time) called WDW Explorer. I used to watch them over and over after my divorce just more as a escape, waiting to be able to afford to go in person again. I still have those Explorer DVD's. One that only had three parks (MK, EPCOT and Disney MGM) and and suggested the coming of a 4th park, maybe, sometime, soon all about animals. The second, included DAK. Sadly, Window no longer plays them for me, wrong format or something. You would think that it would just play DVD's if I want it too.

Horizons78

Grade "A" Funny...
There was an early new report, not long after WDW opened that used that phrase. It was Chet Huntley or David Brinkley, I get the two mixed up.

It was Brinkley. Marty Sklar used it as part of his presentation in the Harvest Theater back at Celebration 25. It's a pretty neat film, produced not long after the opening in 71. There's a snippet from YouTube below, but I believe @marni1971 may know where to find the program in its entirety.

Goofyernmost

It was Brinkley. Marty Sklar used it as part of his presentation in the Harvest Theater back at Celebration 25. It's a pretty neat film, produced not long after the opening in 71. There's a snippet from YouTube below, but I believe @marni1971 may know where to find the program in its entirety.

Thanks for finding that. Back in those days I got my news from my other uncle Walt... Cronkite. :) I knew it was one of them, Chet or David, but couldn't remember which one.

Siren

Funny. I think that 'most people' wouldn't jump on that 'bandwagon' since plenty of people in these parts are sensitive to any Iger criticism, legitimate or not. Iger is neither saint nor devil. Hello, social media polarization!

If it's Eisner's vision, Iger's still the one responsible for implementing it.
Hi @SorcererMC! I totally agree that Iger is neither saint nor devil. The same can be said for Eisner. And, it is Eisner who is responsible for implementing the current structure and operation of our theme parks. Iger just remained on the path already laid out before him and no one really seemed to have a problem with it at the time.

Honsetly, I didn't hear any complaints about this or anything else until the Fast Pass time window enforcement and the Dining plan cuts. As long as people thought they were getting over on Disney, they were happy.

Anyhow, what will Iger's replacement do - stay the course? Or, what happens to the stock when Iger's replacement can't continue those stock performance levels? Inquiring minds want to know about that succession plan (eg including CNBC and Wall St analysts, and it could be 9-12 months before an announcement is made; I forget exactly when the contract is up; does anyone know offhand?)
I am definitely concerned about Iger's replacement. Like Eisner, he is a dying breed of CEO - a visionary with a demonstrated track record to influence investment and change -- in other words, he has the necessary clout with the investors to demand billions.

So, I really don't know what to expect from the new CEO.

Siren

Here's a laughingplace article about thinking that Bob Bowman might be the next ceo of Disney, but it's probably a speculation.

http://www.laughingplace.com/w/articles/2016/08/31/bob-bowman-next-ceo-disney/
Hi @TsWade2! Thanks for the article. Bob Bowman is a very interesting choice. I have never heard of him until now, but it looks like his experience as President of the MLB could be quite beneficial for Disney's issues regarding ESPN. Hopefully, he will have a knack for the theme parks too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom