If you use Kazaa, you *must* read this!

Woody13

It's my understanding that the RIAA has leased several Cray X1 supercomputers and will leave no stone unturned. That includes your home computer. Also, they don't need (or want) to search your home computer. Perhaps you remember the story about RIAA "killing" your computer?

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
But the RIAA still has to obey the law...they cannot "hack" into your computer. I don't care what kind of computers they have...if they gain illegal access to my computer, nothing they find can be used anyway.

Just be smart out there...there are several things you can do to protect yourself.....

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
Originally posted by Woody13
Seems to me you are not up to speed on this issue. Maybe this will help you (and others) avoid some problems;

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,1118692,00.asp

Ok..so they can send out trojan horses and the like...Nothing Norton can't find and get rid of....Kill other things with adaware and spybot, and it's all good.

Also: This hacking has nothing to do with the lawsuits....they're just sending you false files so that your comp gets messed up. I'll guarantee you one thing - if they start a hacking war, they'll get seriously messed up by people who know what they're doing. They better have awfully secure websites.

Woody13

Fortunately only people that engage in illegal download activity have to worry about such problems. I prefer to legally purchase my software and music. However I sure like to get a great discounts!

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
Ok...

Just saw an interview with the RIAA people on TV.

They are going to be going after the people who have massive volumes of music and are sharing it with other people. They then have to subpoena the ISP's to give up the information of those users.

If you are not sharing (read: downloading only), then you are really not in danger.

This is only going to do 2 things:

1) ________ people off...you gripe and complain about not being able to sell music? Well, sales across the board are down - not just cds. So when everyone else picks up their sales, you won't...and here is why.

2) It's already too late: no matter what you do, somebody will think of something new. You thought you had it won by shutting down napster, but it only created programs that were much harder for you to stop. If programs like Kazaa get shut down or slowed down, other things that are impossible to find or shut down will appear. Then you're really screwed.

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
Originally posted by Woody13
Fortunately only people that engage in illegal download activity have to worry about such problems. I prefer to legally purchase my software and music. However I sure like to get a great discounts!

Same here....If I can't find something, I'll d/l it, but if I like it, I'll buy it anyway.

However, if the RIAA persists in activities such as these, I can totally see how some other people who would normally buy won't care anymore.

Woody13

Be advised that Norton, McAfee, Zone Alarm and the others won't help at all in this situation. Same goes for Spybot, Adaware and the others. Trojans can be created and changed by RIAA faster than any antivirus could hope to keep up. Firewalls are useless in this situation for obvious reasons. Again, people such as you and I have nothing to worry about, but the illegal downloaders do have a big problem upon which they must ponder. Is it worth it?

Castle Cake Apologist

I usually only download songs if I like one song like... on the entire album. I believe in buying the album, because i know what it does to sales when people just download the whole thing. I usually wind buying singles too... for this purpose.

Anyways- I turned off sharing on all my files... but won't this evenutally shut down Kazaa? Think about it...

darthdarrel

Originally posted by DisneyExpert
I usually only download songs if I like one song like... on the entire album. I believe in buying the album, because i know what it does to sales when people just download the whole thing. I usually wind buying singles too... for this purpose.

Anyways- I turned off sharing on all my files... but won't this evenutally shut down Kazaa? Think about it...
I haven`t shutdown my sharing,yes if you stop sharing that in itself will shutdown kazaa! And I do exactly what you do,I always buy the cd`s of groups and songs that I have downloaded.

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
Disclaimer:

I have no MP3's.....any reference to having any music in mp3 form was for the use of this discussion only.:D

NowInc

Gotta look at this way....

Software piracy has been around since the early days of computers..and they STILL havnt found a way to stop it ;)

This will be no different..theres ALWAYS a way around things like this.

I am not worried at all...i wont get into the details here, but there is the ol camofloge method which ive been doing for years for transfering secure data to clients....and it works juuuuuuuuust fine..it could also work for ANY file type.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
dan.. this is semi related.. but do you know how to apply an XML update to ZoneAlarm Pro?

prberk

Originally posted by Fievel
But the RIAA still has to obey the law...they cannot "hack" into your computer. I don't care what kind of computers they have...if they gain illegal access to my computer, nothing they find can be used anyway.

Just be smart out there...there are several things you can do to protect yourself.....

Funny how you who "share" copyrighted works by making copies illegally can "protect yourselves," but the copyright owners can't.... Heaven forbid they do (to find abusers) the same thing that abusers do to find files to copy...

I am sorry, but to me this is no different than someone saying that Sam Goody has no right to deny you a refund on a CD that you took home to copy and bring back, when everyone knows that is why CD returns are only for even exchange of the exact same CD.

You do not have copy "right" to opyrighted material. Period.

And as to radio... radio pays royalties for "spins" of any copyrighted song represented by BMI or ASCAP (artist unions), based on the size of their market and their ratings.

darthdarrel

Originally posted by prberk
Funny how you who "share" copyrighted works by making copies illegally can "protect yourselves," but the copyright owners can't.... Heaven forbid they do (to find abusers) the same thing that abusers do to find files to copy...

I am sorry, but to me this is no different than someone saying that Sam Goody has no right to deny you a refund on a CD that you took home to copy and bring back, when everyone knows that is why CD returns are only for even exchange of the exact same CD.

You do not have copy "right" to opyrighted material. Period.

And as to radio... radio pays royalties for "spins" of any copyrighted song represented by BMI or ASCAP (artist unions), based on the size of their market and their ratings.
Well I don`t find file sharing illegal,I see no differance between me getting a cd and copying it to a cd and giving that to a friend,if that was illegal why would they even make cd burners and blank cd`s? and as I have stated before, I always buy the cd that the mp3 I have downloaded is from. I basically download mp3`s from kazaa to see if I will like a particular song,if I like it I buy the cd. Before napster and kazaa I can`t count the times I have bought a cd only to like one maybe 2 songs off of the whole cd, thus being a total waste of money.

EthylCooper

I tend to download mp3s of albums I already own just because it's quicker than ripping it myself. That way I can carry my mp3 disc player on long trips and carry 14 albums per disc instead of filling the back seat with 100 CDs.

I've found myself buying a lot fewer CDs since this whole nasty business began. I have a difficult time bringing myself to support the RIAA monetarily when I find their tactics so brutal. I've been a big music consumer my whole life....my 400-500 CDs are a testament to that. But over the last two years, I've mostly stuck to CDs from independant musicians or just done without. Why support Metallica or Dr. Dre when Beyond the Pale or Legacy needs my money more and isn't threatening any litigation against me?

Yes, we need to protect an artist's ability to earn a living with their creations. Yes, downloading an album is actually illegal. But so is making a copy of a tape for your friends in high school...and isn't that where a lot of us became such avid consumers? I know I would never have bought my Ramones CDs if Josh hadn't copied his tape for me in 12th grade. My Red Hot Chili Peppers collection (videotapes included)? I'd never have gotten into them if Marvin hadn't made me that tape. All the money I've spent on Weird Al albums, videos, DVDs, concerts, t-shirts, box sets, and other merchandise? It all dates back to that little tape I had with the Dare to Be Stupid album on one side and In 3D on the other. How else does a 10 year old become a fan? I certainly didn't have much of a disposable income then.

By that same token, downloading the odd song does the same for an artist. Last year I was trying to find a song I had heard live, but that hadn't been recorded by the band in question. I did a search, and downloaded a version by Beyond the Pale. It was great. So when I saw them on the schedule at the next festival, I made sure to see them, and ended up buying both of their available albums, and the friend I had brought with me bought one as well. Would they have made that $45 if I hadn't downloaded that song? Not from us. We would have watched a different band in a competing time slot and never even seen them.

I know that there are people who just download to avoid having to buy music. I know that some people really don't intend to spend money on music and just download it because they know they don't have to pay for it. I also believe that the most damage on this front has been done by the RIAA itself by bringing so much attention to digital music and showing these people the means to do it. I had never heard of Napster before the Metallica lawsuit. Now I support musicians who support mp3, and Metallica will never see another penny of my money. All those CDs and t-shirts are collecting dust and moth holes. The sales drops that the RIAA says they are seeing are at least partially due to a silent boycott, as well as the general economic downturn.

With all this having been said, I should probably tell you that I rarely use services like this to download music. My main downloads are TV shows that I wasn't able to watch when they first came on, or that I missed an episode of because of a VCR problem or power outage. If it hadn't been for file sharing, I would never have become a Buffy or Angel fan, and I've put quite a chunk of money out toward that merchandise now, too. If some TV production company association starts into the battle, I'll really be looking for entertainment worthy of my wallet. :rolleyes:

I apologize for the length of this post. It's a subject that has concerned me for a long time. I feel as if a little schoolyard scuffle is becoming a war, and I just don't foresee anyone coming out better off at the end of it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom