If you use Kazaa, you *must* read this!

DisneyJedi

Originally posted by Blizz
There was a really good comment on the RIAA today in the Philadelphia Inquirer. I agree with the one part "I will continue to download music until they (RIAA) come to my house and take my computer".

Who does the RIAA think they are. they are alienating(sp?) their customers by pulling this crap. If CD's were worth $20 we might buy them again. But they are worth zero to us. So why not make the price closer to that zero worth. Make CD's cheap! How much does each one cost to make? Maybe a dollar at most. So charge $5 insted of $20 and they would sell fast!

One reason I download the songs until I can find a good deal on the CD. I prefer the CD for quality, but can live with the MP3 until I find the CD for $10 or less. :)

And I guess the RIAA is not worried about used CD sales? It doesn't bother me that someone else once owned the CD.. As long as it isn't scratched and plays back fine, I am good to go. Sales of used CDs don't go to the RIAA any, do they? They probbaly try to ban that next.

careship

My 2 Cents....

Here's my 2 cents for what they are worth...

I buy CD's constantly and I listen to a wide variety of music. Much of it isn't suitable (IMO) for my boys to listen to. Then I found I could buy clean versions. I bought a couple however, it took forever for the places to get them in and they were extremely more expensive.

So I decided I could edit them myself and make copies for my kids to listen to. Have any idea how this worked out? My life is way too busy for that. (Not that you could tell with as much time as I spend in here.) So I found this place Kazaa where I could download the clean version for my kids without it being a huge pain in the rear. So I can take just the songs they like, get the clean version of it and put it on a CD for them without worrying about what they are listening to. Also, without making certain songs, groups etc more appealing to them because I banned them from them. As we all know what rebels we can be as kids. I'm not sure how this fits in, but I wanted to share that there are many reasons that people dowload music. Not all of the reasons are to scam the artists out of money. I have never downloaded a song I didn't already have on CD.

MajinBuu

This is all I have to say to this....

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The rich want to be even more rich. "OH, NO. WE ARE LOSING TONS OF $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!!!! WE ARE NOT RICH ENOUGH TO LET SOMETHING LIKE THIS TO KEEP HAPPENING." This is basically what they are saying!!!!!

TO THE RIAA: **** OFF AND GO TO HELL!!!!!

Blizz

Originally posted by DisneyJedi
One reason I download the songs until I can find a good deal on the CD. I prefer the CD for quality, but can live with the MP3 until I find the CD for $10 or less. :)

And I guess the RIAA is not worried about used CD sales? It doesn't bother me that someone else once owned the CD.. As long as it isn't scratched and plays back fine, I am good to go. Sales of used CDs don't go to the RIAA any, do they? They probbaly try to ban that next.

I feel the same way. i usually buy the CD after I see if I like the songs. Most of the time I dont download to find this out because I get the newest releases from Promo Only and TM Century (same company Rick Dee's Top 40 uses).

I also work at a store that sells used CD's, DVD's. DJ equip., and other electronics. And i can tell you that we dont give a cent of it to the RIAA or anyone else.

Blizz

Here are some things from the RIAA web site (http://www.riaa.com)
On their site you can hear their side of the Napster, Verizon, Aimster, and MP3Board legal cases. But I didnt find info on KaZaA.

Digital Millennium Copyright Act: This newly enacted law implements two global treaties designed to protect creative works in the digital era. It prohibits the manufacture and distribution of devices the primary purpose of which is to "pick" the electronic "locks" protecting copyrighted material online. This prohibition enables effective enforcement against those seeking to pirate copyrighted music online. The greatest gains from passage of this legislation will be realized internationally. This bill will serve as a model for ratification and implementation of the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) treaties in other countries, where protection of sound recordings online is not sufficient. Formal U.S. ratification of the treaty package helps move the worldwide ratification effort closer to the 30 countries that must ratify the treaties for them to take legal effect. The law also includes important provisions that clarify the rights of copyright owners and the responsibilities of online service providers to guard against piracy online. In addition, the DMCA also contains critical provisions relating to the licensing of music on the Internet and amending the Digital Performance Right in Sound Recordings Act of 1995 (described below).

Digital Performance Right in Sound Recordings Act of 1995: For more than 20 years, the RIAA has been fighting to give copyright owners of sound recordings the right to authorize digital transmissions of their work. Before the passage of the Digital Performance Right in Sound Recordings Act of 1995, sound recordings were the only U.S. copyrighted work denied the right of public performance.
This bill allows copyright owners of sound recordings the right to authorize certain digital transmissions of their works, including interactive digital audio transmissions, and to be compensated for others. This right covers, for example, interactive services, digital cable audio services, satellite music services, commercial online music providers and future forms of electronic delivery. Most non-interactive transmissions are subject to statutory licensing at rates to be negotiated or if necessary, arbitrated.
Exempt from this bill are traditional radio and television broadcasts and subscription transmissions to businesses. The bill also confirms that existing mechanical rights apply to digital transmissions that result in a specifically identifiable reproduction by or, for the transmission recipient, much as they apply to record sales.

Here is the case about a guy sued by the RIAA (look at all the record companies that went after him).
http://www.riaa.com/news/filings/pdf/pastissues/PengFiledComplaint.pdf

DisneyJedi

Here are some things from the RIAA web site (http://www.riaa.com)
On their site you can hear their side of the Napster, Verizon, Aimster, and MP3Board legal cases. But I didnt find info on KaZaA.

Exempt from this bill are traditional radio and television broadcasts and subscription transmissions to businesses. The bill also confirms that existing mechanical rights apply to digital transmissions that result in a specifically identifiable reproduction by or, for the transmission recipient, much as they apply to record sales.
[/url]

So if I am reading this right (and I may not be as I am really tired), it is legal to make digital recordings from your cable or satellite music stations since you are paying for that service? It is up to the artist to restrict whether or not their music is broadcast over those mediums?

This is a really fun debate. How come when I was in high school and we had to do debates there were never cool topics I was interested in? If I were in school today debating this particular issue, the teacher would probbaly tell me to shut up as I kept talking and talking. :) Kids today have it easy. ;)

JLW11Hi

I only download the more rare, unavaiable things that you can't really find in stores anyway. (Like a lot of Disney stuff :) )

I would worry more about smaller, unknown bands whos work, if any good, gets on the internet somehow and gets downloaded a bunch so that noone buys their cds....that would be really dumb.

popkid

Originally posted by JLW11Hi
I would worry more about smaller, unknown bands whos work, if any good, gets on the internet somehow and gets downloaded a bunch so that noone buys their cds....that would be really dumb.

actually, you needen't worry about the little guys... i run an indie record label with several artists from around the world, and MP3's & file sharing apps have more then helped than hurt us.

we're not goliaths like warner brothers where it's all about moving 'unit's and selling 'product'. we're promoting bands along with their releases.

being able to distribute mp3's so freely makes our bands so much more accessable to the world. if people are only slightly interested, they might opt to check out an mp3 or two from our artists to see if the album is worth plunking down the $10 for. or hell, download the whole album.

our interests and confidence is in the fans of the music. we honestly beleive that if they like the band the will want to support them. support them by going to see them on tour, buying the CD or just being a fan.

do we lose sales this way, yeah, maybe... do we lose sleep over it HELLS NO

the major labels are just so used to their glut machine, and their archaic ways of business that they dont want to adjust and embrace the technology that could truly change the music business. instead, they're going to fight it tooth and nail to keep all the profits in their pockets...

does anyone have any clue how many releases a company like warner brothers puts out a year? the whole mentality of these major labels is just to put as much stuff out as possible, and hope something catches on... rather than the indie labels who only put out releases they can really get behind because of money and other restraints...

time to go home now tho, so i gotta cut this rant short...

but the RIAA can bite me :)

darthdarrel

Originally posted by popkid
actually, you needen't worry about the little guys... i run an indie record label with several artists from around the world, and MP3's & file sharing apps have more then helped than hurt us.

we're not goliaths like warner brothers where it's all about moving 'unit's and selling 'product'. we're promoting bands along with their releases.

being able to distribute mp3's so freely makes our bands so much more accessable to the world. if people are only slightly interested, they might opt to check out an mp3 or two from our artists to see if the album is worth plunking down the $10 for. or hell, download the whole album.

our interests and confidence is in the fans of the music. we honestly beleive that if they like the band the will want to support them. support them by going to see them on tour, buying the CD or just being a fan.

the major labels are just so used to their glut machine, and their archaic ways of business that they dont want to adjust and embrace the technology that could truly change the music business. instead, they're going to fight it tooth and nail to keep all the profits in their pockets...

does anyone have any clue how many releases a company like warner brothers puts out a year? the whole mentality of these major labels is just to put as much stuff out as possible, and hope something catches on... rather than the indie labels who only put out releases they can really get behind because of money and other restraints...

Actually I believe in supporting the bands I love and If I knew of an mp3 pay site that had the artists I love in their catalog,I would do it.
Infact alot of my favorite groups I have to buy cd`s from their websites cause our local music shops don`t even carry them :( For instance VNV Nation and Bella Morte I can`t find anywhere! So I ordered their new cd`s directly from their website,just as I bought Deadstar assembly`s new DVD from their website. I seriously don`t know what the recording industry is soo up in arms about ,alot of the groups I love,I wouldn`t even know about if it wasn`t for napster and kazaa! For instance I never heard of theatre of tragedy untill one day I did a search on gothic bands and they came up so I downloaded some of their music and wallah,I was hooked ! I fell in love with their music instantly and have bought every one of their cd`s ever since. and the same goes for Bella morte, Zeromancer and VNV Nation After downloading them from kazaa and napster I was hooked and I have made sure that I support them every chance I get. That includes seeing their concerts when they come to Cleveland and buying their cd`s and other products. So you see downloading them "FOR FREE" actually benefits the artists and recording industry.

Blizz

Originally posted by popkid

I am happy to hear at least one record label cares about its fans. If more record companies were like you maybe the RIAA wouldnt have as many problems as they do.

NowInc

Hey Dan, where can i find a copy of the #2 Flash Music loop on your site. i really like that one.

Also, who did the professional photos of your group.

#2 and #4 are from the same song..called "At Both Ends"...currently its not on any availble CD since its new stuff we are working on..we play it live...and the radio down here plays it occasionally..but other than that..no way of obtaining it ;)

The pics are done by us....we are all "artists" and have backgrounds with photography and graphic design..we set everything up and get it done ;)

NowInc

Originally posted by JLW11Hi
I only download the more rare, unavaiable things that you can't really find in stores anyway. (Like a lot of Disney stuff :) )

Uh..actualllllly...internet sharing helped us a LOT...we make all our money from merch sales (at the moment..CD sales ARE included in this..but its such a minor part)...overall..the internet shareing of our songs has given us global exposure at such an alarming rate (keep in mind we have only been together for a little over a year) that its hard to keep up with merch sales (ask darrel..takes forever for us to mail things out)...

Every "small" band i talk to agrees about mp3s being a GREAT help..

Blizz

Originally posted by NowInc
#2 and #4 are from the same song..called "At Both Ends"...currently its not on any availble CD since its new stuff we are working on..we play it live...and the radio down here plays it occasionally..but other than that..no way of obtaining it ;)

The pics are done by us....we are all "artists" and have backgrounds with photography and graphic design..we set everything up and get it done ;)

What station in the Ft. Myers area plays you stuff? I will be in that area later this month. Also if it comes out on Cd or avaible for download let me know with a PM. i would deff. get it!

I cant wait to see you in FYE stores here in NJ. I guess this is one case where an MP3 on the net could help you. I heard just clips from one song and already i would buy it.

The_CEO

Friends of mine open " music " files all the time to find it opens up command prompt. Half the files are spyware and tracking bugs. Why not just buy the music? Anyone who doesnt pay is a criminal and deserves to be prosecuted.

Blizz

Look, here is the facts.

They will NOT come after every day file swappers. These include those who just download (not share) and dont download huge amounts.

They ARE going after those who have huge collections of files and music. These include users who are connected 24/7 and downlaod every second of the day.

Most files are clean, as in no spyware or bugs if you download music. If you download software, then well you are running a risk.

If it has a wierd file extention or title looks wierd, dont open it, toss it! But other then that, nothing will happen!

If you are that scared of spyware get KaZaA Lite. Its adware and spyware free, but you still have to look out for bad files you download!

Geesh...

and the university prob. turned them in cause they were using the College LAN to get the files and were prob. using tons of bandwidth!

Erika

Look, here is the facts.

They will NOT come after every day file swappers. These include those who just download (not share) and dont download huge amounts.

They ARE going after those who have huge collections of files and music. These include users who are connected 24/7 and downlaod every second of the day.

Most files are clean, as in no spyware or bugs if you download music. If you download software, then well you are running a risk.

If it has a wierd file extention or title looks wierd, dont open it, toss it! But other then that, nothing will happen!

If you are that scared of spyware get KaZaA Lite. Its adware and spyware free, but you still have to look out for bad files you download!

Geesh...

and the university prob. turned them in cause they were using the College LAN to get the files and were prob. using tons of bandwidth!

I'm sure they are just wanting to make an example. But a lot of kids tend to think that nothing is going to happen to them and they need to know that there IS a risk- I'm sure those Loyola kids thought they were safe too. And I am sure there are kids just like them on every campus across the country.

SteveUK

If you look at the amount of users online with a program such as Kazaa at any one time, am I the only one that thinks common sense should prevail here? There is no way the RIAA or anybody else has the resources to track and then take lengthy, expensive legal action against each of those users.
This is about making a noise, sulking and making an example of a very few people in an attempt to scare everybody else into behaving themselves.
I want to make it clear that I am not condoning any form of copyright infringement. However, I would like to point out a couple of extremely easy ways to protect yourself. All my music, video and other material, the stuff we are talking about here, is stored on a second hard drive. I can download something, transfer it to the second hard drive and then remove it. I have a tray on the front of my PC tower into which I can slot a second hard drive. If I then decide to view or listen to anything on that hard drive, I can simply make sure I am offline. Secondly, if a piece of spyware software from this all knowing, big brother organisation we are talking about ends up on my machine, how do they know which mp3's came from Kazaa and which came from my own bought collection? Remember, copying cds and dvds that you own for back-up purposes is perfectly legal.
Stop panicking people, your PC is not going to catch fire and blow up the next time you go online!
I do have a couple of quick questions though:

1. I dont live in America. What jurisdiction does the RIAA have over me and my file collection?
2. Are we just talking about music or could we all be in trouble for downloading jpeg's, mpeg's etc?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom