If you use Kazaa, you *must* read this!

Blizz

Originally posted by NowInc
The guy who invented the MP3 format (whos name escapes me at the moment) is working on a file format that will make it more "legal" to make the file...somehow maintaining a "uncopyable" format that will prevent sharing etc....not sure how nicely that will catch on....

Thats the MP4 format which will replace the MP3 format.

Too bad for him, Sonic Foundry's Sound Forge and PCDJ Red (Pro DJ software for mobile and club DJ's) can ripp any music file and convert it to either MP3, Scott Studios Wav File, and a few others.

blm07

Yes Sony annoys the crap outta me with their copyright thing. I use a Sony Minidisc, and I can't digitally bring live recordings (of theme park material) to my computer. They are worried that I will put music on the minidisc on my friend's computer and then bring it to mine. Oh no! That's bad! So the only way to get stuff from the minidisc (besides what originally came from my computer) is to use the analog wire. Its not THAT bad considering Minidisc IS a WAY huge improvement over what I used to use, audio tapes and a mono recorder, but still. Is there any software out there so I can bring in the audio digitally?

Oh yeah I do use it to listen to music, but non of my friends even have a minidisc, and even then they wouldn't want me to transfer songs like that.

Blizz

Originally posted by blm07
Yes Sony annoys the crap outta me with their copyright thing. I use a Sony Minidisc, and I can't digitally bring live recordings (of theme park material) to my computer. They are worried that I will put music on the minidisc on my friend's computer and then bring it to mine. Oh no! That's bad! So the only way to get stuff from the minidisc (besides what originally came from my computer) is to use the analog wire. Its not THAT bad considering Minidisc IS a WAY huge improvement over what I used to use, audio tapes and a mono recorder, but still. Is there any software out there so I can bring in the audio digitally?

Oh yeah I do use it to listen to music, but non of my friends even have a minidisc, and even then they wouldn't want me to transfer songs like that.

Well to improve quality... If you have the ear for it and the know how, you can use Sonic Foundry Sound Forge to fix it.

As for a better means of transport, and its small, go with the mini-CD-R's that they make for digital cameras. I use them to transport sound files and such.

I mean I also use mini-disc but I use a rack-mount mini-disc recorder/player. This is not the compact unit, but it lets me do what I like. I hook it into a computer and transfer to and fro...

Insted of the analog wires use a firewire to toslink(fiber optic) line. Then it will be digital quality. That is if your minidisc can support toslink.

CmdrTostada

Originally posted by Blizz
Thats the MP4 format which will replace the MP3 format.

Too bad for him, Sonic Foundry's Sound Forge and PCDJ Red (Pro DJ software for mobile and club DJ's) can ripp any music file and convert it to either MP3, Scott Studios Wav File, and a few others.

Im pretty sure that there is already MP4, it's also sometimes reffered to as Divx.

Blizz

Originally posted by Turbogames
Im pretty sure that there is already MP4, it's also sometimes reffered to as Divx.

A form of MP4 is used in the MPEG format for the audio which is why its called DIVX. Divx is the codec used. Correct me here if i am wrong. I am not all up on the MPEG format and video files that much. I am just getting into that. I am more into digital audio.

MP4 is the audio only format that they are working on. By me saying MP4 I am quoting the creator of MP3 (saw this on a tv show on the subject). He called it MP4.

Blizz

Originally posted by DMC-12
Scott Studios *shudders* Evil, Evil system.... :fork: :)

LOL, yeah I know what you mean. But with Sound Forge its the only way to make it sound right. If you export it as an MP3 it sounds like a bad Flash movie. Then if you export a SS Wav file it labels the song as SPOOO.wav and then wont let me alter the track info.

MicBat

I dont know if this has anything to do with the recent news, but I saw this on the imesh news ticker and thought I'd share it... Anyone know if they're talking about the RIAA thing or not??

Attachments

• imesh.jpg
    imesh.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 79

prberk

I understand and accept your opinion...you are definatly well educated on this topic much like myself, and have presented your side of the argument inteligently and professionally...a rare trait on this forum...believe me.

There is no "right or wrong" in this matter...its a matter of perspective, and honestly..every case is different.

Thanks, NowInc., I respect you too.

We get a lot more accomplished when we are civil and friendly around here, even when we disagree. There are a lot of people around here that have intelligent things to say. They are more useful when when we don't get bogged down in unnecessary stuff.

Anyway, I do believe it relates to "right and wrong," even though it sometimes seems grey (even though those of us who are "against" it are not perfect)....

Figment1986

Crap, Im broke and I have tons of movies and ride soundtravks and other things on my computer....

(i got them from Kazaa and a few other older ones)

Perhaps thats why my older Win 98 compaq is messed up again, it wasn't even commected online and its broke...

DisneyJedi

Yeah you can transfer minidisc digitally to the PC. Just make sure you have a minidisc player that has some form of digital-out. My Sony MD deck does:
http://www.minidisc.org/part_Sony_MDS-JE520+S39.html
It has an optical digital-out that I pass into a soundcard I bought exclusively to work with digital audio.. the no-longer-produced Turtle Beach Montego II Plus. Paired with my Sony desk.. it is a winning combination. Perfect digital copies of things I record on my portable minidisc recorder, played back on the MD deck into my PC.

Which reminds me.. I wonder what the RIAA take is on recording songs from the 30+ or whatever digital music stations I have on my satellite service? My satellite receiver has a digital optical output exactly like my Sony minidisc deck. There is nothing to stop me from recording audio from the satellite music stations with zero loss in quality. Since I didn't download those songs from anywhere online, they're legally mine.. purchased in a way from paying my satellite tv bill every month, right?

Blizz

Originally posted by DisneyJedi
Yeah you can transfer minidisc digitally to the PC. Just make sure you have a minidisc player that has some form of digital-out. My Sony MD deck does:
http://www.minidisc.org/part_Sony_MDS-JE520+S39.html
It has an optical digital-out that I pass into a soundcard I bought exclusively to work with digital audio.. the no-longer-produced Turtle Beach Montego II Plus. Paired with my Sony desk.. it is a winning combination. Perfect digital copies of things I record on my portable minidisc recorder, played back on the MD deck into my PC.

Which reminds me.. I wonder what the RIAA take is on recording songs from the 30+ or whatever digital music stations I have on my satellite service? My satellite receiver has a digital optical output exactly like my Sony minidisc deck. There is nothing to stop me from recording audio from the satellite music stations with zero loss in quality. Since I didn't download those songs from anywhere online, they're legally mine.. purchased in a way from paying my satellite tv bill every month, right?

I think that would be legal. Just as long as you dont try to profit off of it. Thats why I feel Kazaa and other P2P are not wrong because you are not making a profit off of them, but is wrong because it is stealing in a way.

I might try to record from the music choice channels (Comcast Digital Cable) to mini-disc. Sounds cool...

CrashNet

Originally posted by Fievel
This ISN'T the government.....it's the RIAA.

That and if the government or the RIAA tried to hack into your computer to see what you had on it, you could sue THEM for everything they are worth.

NowInc

Originally posted by cac2889
That and if the government or the RIAA tried to hack into your computer to see what you had on it, you could sue THEM for everything they are worth.

Not exactly..RIAA..yes..Government..nope ;)

darthdarrel

I was watching a debate on this subject on Fox news today and the only problem I have with getting music from pay sites is that they do not carry the music that I love so it is worthless for me to join them,Now if they would carry music from front 242,frontline assembly,VNV Nation, Bella Morte,Theatre of tragedy, Sins of thy Beloved, Tapping the Vein and Deadstar assembly then I would have no problem paying for them as it is, like I said earlier, I always buy the cd`s anyway.

NowInc

Actually Darrel..we will be avail thru those services in a few short weeks...the FYE deal is going thru this week...after that..its just a matter of postage delivery.

darthdarrel

Actually Darrel..we will be avail thru those services in a few short weeks...the FYE deal is going thru this week...after that..its just a matter of postage delivery.
That`s great Dan,but what about the other artists?

Blizz

Hey Dan, where can i find a copy of the #2 Flash Music loop on your site. i really like that one.

Also, who did the professional photos of your group.

Blizz

There was a really good comment on the RIAA today in the Philadelphia Inquirer. I agree with the one part "I will continue to download music until they (RIAA) come to my house and take my computer".

Who does the RIAA think they are. they are alienating(sp?) their customers by pulling this crap. If CD's were worth $20 we might buy them again. But they are worth zero to us. So why not make the price closer to that zero worth. Make CD's cheap! How much does each one cost to make? Maybe a dollar at most. So charge $5 insted of $20 and they would sell fast!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom