If I could improve Walt Disney World....

MonorailRed

Applebees
For me, if I could change one thing in Fantasyland, although this probably would never happen - it would be the facade of it's a small world

s_a_Small_World_-_IMG_1746.JPG

Out of all the small worlds in Disney Parks - this facade is by far the least appealing. And it's crammed into a narrow section of Fantasyland.

And the Mary Blair inspired facade that is made famous in the other renditions - such as Disneyland's, is smaller and indoors
Its-A-Small-World_Full_12111.jpg

So while I can't change it's location, I would take the roof off, have the queue be outdoors - it kinda is already because it's an open breezeway from Fantasyland into the load area. Adding some shrubbery and greenery to blend in sorta with the Tangled restrooms.

Then I'd enclose the load area with a roof and walls of the Mary Blair art facade - so that the ride can function in the rain. And then lastly the facade in the back would be enlarged to something relative to the other renditions.
Image2.jpg

The viewing area from the Pinocchio Village Haus can still be in tact - it will now just be looking at a grander facade.

This is actually a brilliant idea! :D

I'd love to do some concept art on that if you don't mind :rolleyes::p

spacemt354

Chili's
I just realized..... If you get rid of the roof... there's no where for the rain to go :cyclops:

What if the facade has a retractable ceiling? Maybe that moved special facade pieces as it moves? o_O
There would still be a overhang/enclosure over the load area - it would just be made out of the facade instead of the generic ceiling that's there today. The queue though approaching it wouldn't have the medieval fair style overhangs and would be outdoors with some greenery if that makes sense?:bored:

MonorailRed

Applebees
There would still be a overhang/enclosure over the load area - it would just be made out of the facade instead of the generic ceiling that's there today. The queue though approaching it wouldn't have the medieval fair style overhangs and would be outdoors with some greenery if that makes sense?:bored:

Ah, ok gotcha :D

He already said the loading area will be covered and walled up to keep the it functional in the rain like at Disneyland Paris's version of the ride.

Must have skipped over that accidentally :cyclops: :p

brb1006

I don't know if this will ever happen but maybe WDW could update old Fantasyland by giving it a makeover like how Disneyland's Fantasyland did back in 83 but that could be wishful thinking. I don't know but seeing New Fantasyland and looking at the older attractions look pretty weird to me mainly since the old attractions keep the renaissance style unlike Disneyland's Fantasyland.

Jack Pumpkinhead

I don't know if this will ever happen but maybe WDW could update old Fantasyland by giving it a makeover like how Disneyland's Fantasyland did back in 83 but that could be wishful thinking. I don't know but seeing New Fantasyland and looking at the older attractions look pretty weird to me mainly since the old attractions keep the renaissance style unlike Disneyland's Fantasyland.
Fantasyland's older section building facades could have that outdated medieval theming and change them to French, British, German, Italian, Scandinavian, and Dutch architectural influences to give Fantasyland a more European charm. Meanwhile in Tommorowland, they change the theming from Deco Tech and 1970's Renaissance to just Deco Tech on the facades.

Last edited:

mharrington

Perusing the forums I've noticed that this is one of...if not the longest running thread in the Imagineering section! There's great concepts in here dating back over 10 years. And poised with such a simple question, if I could improve Walt Disney World, - it would be fun if we could all carry on the tradition and keep this thread rolling into the future. :)

With that said - I have a question:

If you could improve one aspect of WDW's Fantasyland - what would it be?

There are all kinds of things I would do. One thing I would do is to redo the Peter Pan ride so it's more like the one in Shanghai. It would actually be expanded, which means it would take over Mickey's PhilharMagic. That's right, that 3D movie would be removed in favor of an expanded ride.

DisneyManOne

Also, I don't know if this would be possible, but I know a lot of people don't look fondly on the Little Mermaid ride at the Magic Kingdom. I say we replace it with the original concept of a Little Mermaid dark ride, as designed by Tony Baxter and brought to CGI-based life on the 2006 DVD release of the film.

I'd call this ride Voyage of the Little Mermaid. Besides, the Hollywood Studios show of the same name doesn't really hold up compared to something like Beauty and the Beast or Festival of the Lion King. Plus, it's been rumored for quite some time that this show may be closing...

DisneyManOne

Hey guys, so recently, I was going through the Sole Imagineer thread, and I came across this concept...

Episode 10 Redemption Duel
Circus Start-Over

Our voted out castaways have made it to their final shot at Redemption... 1 will be victorious and reenter the game to join @IDInstitute, @Flippin'Flounder, @TheOriginalTiki and @Matt7187 in a new final 5. The other two will be sent home...

View attachment 134479

Introducing the players of this special, week-long Redemption Duel:
@spacemt354
@DSquared

and @MonorailRed, voted out at the last Imagineer's Council.

Storybook Circus is considered by many Disney guests and fans alike as a waste of valuable space. Showcasing just 2 C-Ticket attractions, a meet and greet and a play area, Storybook Circus has little to brag about.

For this challenge, our three castaways must create a detailed and unique replacement for Storybook Circus at the Magic Kingdom. You must create something entirely new, and it must be free of non-Disney animation IPs. This means no Pixar, Marvel, etc. Your replacement may also completely remove all attractions (you may relocate any attractions that you wish to elsewhere in the park) OR re-theme current attractions to fit a new theme. However, you may only keep 1 attraction should you choose to do so and you must add 2 attractions. 1 of these attractions must be a new ride.

Episode 10 Redemption Duel is due Friday, March 25th at 7:00 PM EST. You may use no more than 15 images and must have at least 5 sentences.

Imagineers Ready? GO!

This was a concept I was drawn to. Storybook Circus being removed and replaced with something all new. Well, almost instantly, a few ideas started whirling around in my head. So, here's my spin on a replacement for Storybook Circus...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Welcome, one and all, to the Gardens of Imagination. Here is a world where many of Disney's classic stories come to life like never before. In this wondrous new world, nature comes alive to spread its whimsy and wonder.

Entering the Gardens to your right, you'll find that a little circus has set up shop. But, it's not just any circus--it's the circus of none other than Dumbo the Flying Elephant! Yes, despite Storybook Circus packing up and moving on to another town, Dumbo is still found here entertaining guests. Hey, it wouldn't be Fantasyland without Dumbo.
Dumbo-02.jpg
Guests enter into a circus tent, where they proceed to enjoy an interactive waiting area. Kids can pass the time by enjoying interactive games and entertainment at a giant circus-themed playground.
dum118943SMALL.jpg
When the time comes to ride, you'll notice that the new Dumbo spinners, which includes an additional spinner to handle more capacity for the park, include several new touches to make the attraction even more classical. At the base of both spinners are scenic tablets, each depicting a scene from the classic movie. Below the spinning Dumbos is a new water feature, including a beautiful fountain. The Dumbos fly over the circular water feature, while the found cascades from the internal base of the attraction. At night, the entire water feature becomes illuminated with different colors, creating a vibrancy to the entire area. It is really something great to see!

Nearby, replacing the Barnstormer, is the Fantasy Gardens area. Based around the area in Hong Kong Disneyland, here is a place where you can visit with Mickey and friends at 5 fancifully themed gazebos, nestled among a peaceful garden.

Stroll along a meandering pathway—past colorful flowers, lacy trees and wondrous topiaries—to a picturesque gathering of unique gazebos. At each magical destination, you’re invited to shake hands, share hugs, receive autographs and pose for photos with some of your favorite Disney characters.

As classic Disney movie music plays overhead, explore Fantasy Gardens at your own pace.
hkdl-fantasy-garden-hero-01.jpg

Nearby, sheltered by the trees, you'll find a unique locale: the North Mountain from Frozen. The trees provide a natural transition from the Gardens of Imagination to the forests of Arendelle. Guests are able to see the North Mountain pierce the Fantasyland skies, with Elsa's ice palace resting on its cliffsides.
1239196_10151914675692184_571540977_o.jpg

In the foreground before the mountain are various wooden buildings, representing the village of Arendelle. One of these buildings serves as the entrance to Frozen Ever After, which has been moved here from Epcot. Face it--a Frozen-based attraction does not belong in the Norway pavilion. I feel it is a better idea to move the ride here, to an area where it does fit--Fantasyland. This allows Norway to receive a ride that's actually based in its culture--maybe a new version of Maelstrom.
FEAR54714.jpg
Right nearby the North Mountain is Wandering Oaken's Trading Post. Unlike other shops in Disney parks, this shop has two different roles: first, there's the "Trading Post", where you can get your fix on Frozen merchandising, and then, there's the "Frozen Funland", where a wide arrangement of activities are found, which include ice skating, playing in snow/ice, photo opportunities in front of snowy backdrops, and sweet treats.

It’s nice and cold inside the Trading Post, a great retreat from the scorching summer sun outside. Though inexperienced guests do frequently fall on the ice skating rink, everyone seems to have a great time amidst the wintery atmosphere.

I don't know yet if there's room for another ride, but if there is, I'd use the opportunity to herald the triumphant return of Mr. Toad's Wild Ride!

Despite Toad's return, one thing will be different: the exterior. The exterior will now better reflect the English-Tudor style seen at Disneyland's version of Mr. Toad.
mr-toads-wild-ride-00.jpg
But apart from that, the ride will remain the same: same loading area, same vehicles and the same wild adventures on two different tracks!

To the right of the Fantasy Gardens, the Fantasyland Train Station is located. The next stop after this station is located back on Main Street U.S.A. The station is a quaint, beautifully detailed building layered in brick and beautiful gardening.
fantansylandstationfront.jpg
From there, guests can either take the train or head back through the gardens to explore the rest of Fantasyland.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What do you guys think?

mharrington

Hey guys, so recently, I was going through the Sole Imagineer thread, and I came across this concept...

This was a concept I was drawn to. Storybook Circus being removed and replaced with something all new. Well, almost instantly, a few ideas started whirling around in my head. So, here's my spin on a replacement for Storybook Circus...
Welcome, one and all, to the Gardens of Imagination. Here is a world where many of Disney's classic stories come to life like never before. In this wondrous new world, nature comes alive to spread its whimsy and wonder.

Entering the Gardens to your right, you'll find that a little circus has set up shop. But, it's not just any circus--it's the circus of none other than Dumbo the Flying Elephant! Yes, despite Storybook Circus packing up and moving on to another town, Dumbo is still found here entertaining guests. Hey, it wouldn't be Fantasyland without Dumbo.
Dumbo-02.jpg
Guests enter into a circus tent, where they proceed to enjoy an interactive waiting area. Kids can pass the time by enjoying interactive games and entertainment at a giant circus-themed playground.
dum118943SMALL.jpg
When the time comes to ride, you'll notice that the new Dumbo spinners, which includes an additional spinner to handle more capacity for the park, include several new touches to make the attraction even more classical. At the base of both spinners are scenic tablets, each depicting a scene from the classic movie. Below the spinning Dumbos is a new water feature, including a beautiful fountain. The Dumbos fly over the circular water feature, while the found cascades from the internal base of the attraction. At night, the entire water feature becomes illuminated with different colors, creating a vibrancy to the entire area. It is really something great to see!

Nearby, replacing the Barnstormer, is the Fantasy Gardens area. Based around the area in Hong Kong Disneyland, here is a place where you can visit with Mickey and friends at 5 fancifully themed gazebos, nestled among a peaceful garden.

Stroll along a meandering pathway—past colorful flowers, lacy trees and wondrous topiaries—to a picturesque gathering of unique gazebos. At each magical destination, you’re invited to shake hands, share hugs, receive autographs and pose for photos with some of your favorite Disney characters.

As classic Disney movie music plays overhead, explore Fantasy Gardens at your own pace.
hkdl-fantasy-garden-hero-01.jpg

Nearby, sheltered by the trees, you'll find a unique locale: the North Mountain from Frozen. The trees provide a natural transition from the Gardens of Imagination to the forests of Arendelle. Guests are able to see the North Mountain pierce the Fantasyland skies, with Elsa's ice palace resting on its cliffsides.
1239196_10151914675692184_571540977_o.jpg

In the foreground before the mountain are various wooden buildings, representing the village of Arendelle. One of these buildings serves as the entrance to Frozen Ever After, which has been moved here from Epcot. Face it--a Frozen-based attraction does not belong in the Norway pavilion. I feel it is a better idea to move the ride here, to an area where it does fit--Fantasyland. This allows Norway to receive a ride that's actually based in its culture--maybe a new version of Maelstrom.
FEAR54714.jpg
Right nearby the North Mountain is Wandering Oaken's Trading Post. Unlike other shops in Disney parks, this shop has two different roles: first, there's the "Trading Post", where you can get your fix on Frozen merchandising, and then, there's the "Frozen Funland", where a wide arrangement of activities are found, which include ice skating, playing in snow/ice, photo opportunities in front of snowy backdrops, and sweet treats.

It’s nice and cold inside the Trading Post, a great retreat from the scorching summer sun outside. Though inexperienced guests do frequently fall on the ice skating rink, everyone seems to have a great time amidst the wintery atmosphere.

I don't know yet if there's room for another ride, but if there is, I'd use the opportunity to herald the triumphant return of Mr. Toad's Wild Ride!

Despite Toad's return, one thing will be different: the exterior. The exterior will now better reflect the English-Tudor style seen at Disneyland's version of Mr. Toad.
mr-toads-wild-ride-00.jpg
But apart from that, the ride will remain the same: same loading area, same vehicles and the same wild adventures on two different tracks!

To the right of the Fantasy Gardens, the Fantasyland Train Station is located. The next stop after this station is located back on Main Street U.S.A. The station is a quaint, beautifully detailed building layered in brick and beautiful gardening.
fantansylandstationfront.jpg
From there, guests can either take the train or head back through the gardens to explore the rest of Fantasyland.
What do you guys think?

There's just one problem with the Gardens of Imagination concept. It is created expressly for Shanghai. This is the first land inside a Disney park designed as a garden, and it is tailored to the Chinese people’s love of gardens.

So this idea would have to be expressly altered to fit better, I think.

DisneyManOne

There's just one problem with the Gardens of Imagination concept. It is created expressly for Shanghai. This is the first land inside a Disney park designed as a garden, and it is tailored to the Chinese people’s love of gardens.

So this idea would have to be expressly altered to fit better, I think.

The only connection my Gardens of Imagination concept has with Shanghai is the name, mharrington. I had no intention of copying the Shanghai gardens.

DisneyManOne

Hey guys, I just came up with an idea regarding the beloved "It's a Small World". Remember how Tokyo was slated to have their "small world" attraction moved to make way for a new expansion?
tokyo-disney-resort-feat1.png
Well, I'd do something similar. I'd move the entire attraction to a new location. Since we all want the Indy Speedway removed, I'd place it there. See, I'd want the new location to be located alongside the railway, much like California and Paris.

Here is an idea of what the new location could look like.
Small World.png
Plus, with the new location, we could expand the ride. I'd really like to take inspiration from Paris and Hong Kong, whose beautifully ornate versions of the ride I consider to be the best of the five different versions.

What do you guys think? Does this sound like a good idea?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom