"I Have a Fairy Something Looking Over My Shoulder"Pre-Trip Report

I think, no I KNOW, I am still in shock while I am writing this. Let me back track to how this all came into play within less then 36 hours.

So my boyfriend, Tim, who most of you have come to know from our last trip to WDW in October received a call last week. His buddy decided literally within minutes to fly him out to Las Vegas to celebrate a family Birthday with him. In 30 minutes, he had a flight completely booked and paid for by this friend to go to Vegas. A fully paid, 6 day trip complete with airline and hotel, fell into his lap. Less then 24 hours later, he was off to Vegas and plenty of sunshine and fun. This led me to laugh at the fact that I wish I had friends that like! Over the week of him being gone, I remembered that I still had a round trip free flight in my back pocket that expired on April 7th. I randomly decided to text my buddy Jennie in FL and see what she thought of me dropping in for my days off in March. She flipped over the idea being that we are super close and don't get to see each other often.

Ok so now all that had to be done was to ensure my days off would be locked in with my boss. When I explained to her that I had the opportunity to fly down, stay and play in the parks for free, she told me to not only take my days off, but take two more! :eek: I was ELATED!!! Within five minutes, I had time off approved! Jennie and I threw plans together in about an hour's time the night before. Now all that was left was to book the free flight and I would be set!

Tim had returned and I dropped my plans to him. Expecting some jealousy as he has become hooked on the "World", I braced myself for impact. Instead, he was nothing but fine with it. "You deserve it babe. Go have fun in your happy place!" The pieces were falling together TOO magically! There has to be some kind of catch...

And there was. I called this morning to book my free voucher and the gentleman I got on the phone told me that nothing was available for those days. What? :brick: This can't be! Thankfully, the airport that we use is literally 10 minutes away. So I jumped in my car with all my information and raced over there to the counter. I explained my situation and that the voucher was good until April 7th and that I was told there was no restrictions. For over an hour, two agents tried to help me book something...anything! At this point, I was in tears embarrassingly enough. This year, while we are only two months in, has been awful to me. My car is dying, my lap top crashed resulting in buying a new one unexpectedly, I have been sick three times with the flu and bronchitis and to top it all off, my best friend's Dad had been diagnosed with prostate cancer. Then there has been all my stress at work and the terrible weather we have had resulting in more stress at work as staff has called out and business has been super low. Tim is also out of work which leads to even more stress. All I wanted was a few days of sunshine and fun to take my mind away from everything crappy that has gone on this year. And now I was being told , "Nope". To their credit, these two agents did everything they could. But I was informed that the amount of space that is saved for folks with such vouchers had been all booked up until April 7th.

My luck is not so great, so with the reservations number in tow and all my information, I headed out heartbroken to my car. It WAS too good to be true. I should have known. Tim had been texting me plane prices in the mean time but I wouldn't have been able to swing any of those. In a last ditch effort, I called the reservation line that the agent told me to call. It was different from the one I called earlier and he told me to tell him to check my records and read the comments. I called and as I was pleading my case, the tears came again. I can't help it. I mentioned in my last trip report that I have become so emotional since my Mom was diagnosed with breast cancer. Then add being tired and all the stress that has been building up on top of it? You tell me I'm going to Disney then try to take it away...there's going to be tears. He told me the same thing that unfortunately this free voucher couldn't be used. :cry: HOWEVER..."Ma'am you have over $450 in vouchers towards any flight. They are going to expire soon, would you like to use those towards a round trip flight?" I'm sorry, I have WHAT???? :eek::eek::eek: Turns out, I have some sort of Fairy Something watching over me.

Within 15 minutes, and paying less then $70 bucks out of my pocket, my flights to Orlando were booked. I called Tim and calmly told him to go online and see what happens when you type in a certain confirmation number and sure enough, there were the flights. I was in shock. Did this really just happen? And where did these magical vouchers come from? Could the two agents have done this since their hands were tied in other ways? To this minute, I still don't know. But I'm not arguing it. These things don't normally happen to me. So I'm completely stunned that it did.

So here it is...the cast of this adventure is Me.

100_3346.jpg

And some of my cast member/Florida friends. I got four days days, including arriving and departing days, to cram in as much Magical Fun as I can. Thank goodness for park hoppers and me knowing my way around the property because there will be some time where I am on my own. I simply CAN NOT WAIT!!!! :D:sohappy:

That is awesome! What are your dates? We will be there in March as well. I hope you plan on writing a report, I read your most recent one and enjoyed it so much. I'm so jealous of your solo trip! As much as I love my son and hubby I'd love to just one day go on my own, even if it were just for a short weekend! I'm excited for you!

njDizFan

Wow..great about the vouchers!! can't wait to read the trip report, what every New Jersyian needs about now is a few days down in sunny FLA.

Have a great time and greeting from Union NJ...10 minutes from the airport?? ACY?

HollyBelle

Okay, so I was totally feeling your stress as you stood at the counter trying to get your flight booked. Yay for surprise trips and pixie dust!

HopLow

Now there's some luck for you!! Sounds like you are definitely in need of a Disney vacation to lift your spirits. Hope you have a fantastically magical time!!! :)

MillerPoppins

Original Poster
I will be there from March 31st until April 2nd. Staying off property, which has it's pros and cons, and planning on absolutely doing a report. Can't wait for more food photos!

MillerPoppins

Original Poster
Ok so here is the plan of attack for my short time in WDW:

First Day- Arrive in the Wonderful World of Disney bright and early at 8:30am. I think at this point, I might have us head right to Animal Kingdom. There is less here then I need to see then the other parks. Plus, my PIC during this trip works around 3pm. My thought is that while she is working, I'm going to go play in DTD and play amongst the Disney merchandise. I could literally spend hours doing this so that shouldn't be a problem.

Second Day- Magic Kingdom all day. The park is open until 12am this night so I am taking full advantage. I haven't planned any dining yet because I'm torn at the idea of wasting time at the parks or having more restaurants under my belt.

Third Day-Epcot all day!

Fourth and Last Day-HS. Although HS is up there on my list of things to do, they close at 7pm. My flight home is at 9:30pm so I won't feel I'm missing so much. I'll most likely have all my stuff packed in the car so we'll leave straight from there to the airport.

And that's it so far! Thoughts on dining? My initial thought is all counter service but I'm debating. I think one character meal may be in order.

Gee70

Ok so here is the plan of attack for my short time in WDW:

First Day- Arrive in the Wonderful World of Disney bright and early at 8:30am. I think at this point, I might have us head right to Animal Kingdom. There is less here then I need to see then the other parks. Plus, my PIC during this trip works around 3pm. My thought is that while she is working, I'm going to go play in DTD and play amongst the Disney merchandise. I could literally spend hours doing this so that shouldn't be a problem.

Second Day- Magic Kingdom all day. The park is open until 12am this night so I am taking full advantage. I haven't planned any dining yet because I'm torn at the idea of wasting time at the parks or having more restaurants under my belt.

Third Day-Epcot all day!

Fourth and Last Day-HS. Although HS is up there on my list of things to do, they close at 7pm. My flight home is at 9:30pm so I won't feel I'm missing so much. I'll most likely have all my stuff packed in the car so we'll leave straight from there to the airport.

And that's it so far! Thoughts on dining? My initial thought is all counter service but I'm debating. I think one character meal may be in order.

sounds like a plan!!! Love DTD, never a moment that browsing the merchandise is a waste of time... dangerous but never a waste of time!!!:sohappy:

MillerPoppins

Original Poster
sounds like a plan!!! Love DTD, never a moment that browsing the merchandise is a waste of time... dangerous but never a waste of time!!!:sohappy:

AMEN to that! I don't understand how DTD gets a bad rep sometimes. I think the energy there is so great!

DisneyFan1003

Glad to hear that your flights worked out! We had something similar happen back in January - had our trip booked for months and the morning we were set to leave, found out that all flights were cancelled due to the ice storms in Atlanta. The website for AirTran directed customers to rebook flights, but gave no information on any restrictions. After 65 minutes on hold, the system hung up and a message sent me back to the website! I called DVC to explain that we had a "day-of-arrival" cancellation and the only way to not lose the points was to rebook on the spot. I can't rebook until I know about flights! So they gave me a 3 hour window to call back and rebook. In the meantime, and Airtran operator from the local airport called to tell us the flight was cancelled (3 hours after I found out...thanks for the tip!). She explained that you could only rebook a flight during the next week or two. I told her that wouldn't work for us due to work schedules, etc. After pleading with her to give me an option, she agreed to refund the entire purchase price for our tickets and we'd just have to rebook flights at a later date. Whew! So, after all that, our new flights were only about $25 more per person....I thought for sure we'd end up getting screwed in the deal.

Leaving next week....get me outta here!!

MillerPoppins

Original Poster
Glad to hear that your flights worked out! We had something similar happen back in January - had our trip booked for months and the morning we were set to leave, found out that all flights were cancelled due to the ice storms in Atlanta. The website for AirTran directed customers to rebook flights, but gave no information on any restrictions. After 65 minutes on hold, the system hung up and a message sent me back to the website! I called DVC to explain that we had a "day-of-arrival" cancellation and the only way to not lose the points was to rebook on the spot. I can't rebook until I know about flights! So they gave me a 3 hour window to call back and rebook. In the meantime, and Airtran operator from the local airport called to tell us the flight was cancelled (3 hours after I found out...thanks for the tip!). She explained that you could only rebook a flight during the next week or two. I told her that wouldn't work for us due to work schedules, etc. After pleading with her to give me an option, she agreed to refund the entire purchase price for our tickets and we'd just have to rebook flights at a later date. Whew! So, after all that, our new flights were only about $25 more per person....I thought for sure we'd end up getting screwed in the deal.

Leaving next week....get me outta here!!

Don't ya love airlines? They make things so easy...:brick:. I'm happy to hear you got everything settled but that had to be a mess trying to sort everything out. I'm never taking vouchers ever again that are offered to me from an airline. When I was at the airport dealing with trying to book this flight, they were giving two to a young guy standing next to me. I wanted to tell him to run away and that the reason I was standing in tears was because of those stupid vouchers. Ughhh...SO FRUSTRATING!

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Don't ya love airlines? They make things so easy...:brick:. I'm happy to hear you got everything settled but that had to be a mess trying to sort everything out. I'm never taking vouchers ever again that are offered to me from an airline. When I was at the airport dealing with trying to book this flight, they were giving two to a young guy standing next to me. I wanted to tell him to run away and that the reason I was standing in tears was because of those stupid vouchers. Ughhh...SO FRUSTRATING!

I hear ya...I took vouchers one time, and also had to go to the airport to get things all straightened out! They make it sound like such a deal when they are offering them to you.

So glad it all worked out for you! Have fun on your trip!

DisneyFan1003

Lol...I ended up spending 4 1/2 hours on the phone that morning before everything was figured out. We're crossing our fingers that things go off without a hitch when we leave next Saturday!

MillerPoppins

Original Poster
I hear ya...I took vouchers one time, and also had to go to the airport to get things all straightened out! They make it sound like such a deal when they are offering them to you.

So glad it all worked out for you! Have fun on your trip!

Yeah I didn't mention that when I got the vouchers, they promised me that I could use it for myself and a guest. That ended up being a complete lie. Unfortunately, I had already planned on using them for Tim and I to take our trip in October. It was a mess trying to explain to them what I was told. So this time around, I was really aggravated. It made me so mad. Thank you and I can't wait to do my next trip report!

Lol...I ended up spending 4 1/2 hours on the phone that morning before everything was figured out. We're crossing our fingers that things go off without a hitch when we leave next Saturday!

Yeah I"m kinda paranoid that something going to go wrong. I think I've checked my confirmation number on the website about 8 times already to make sure it's still there. Have a great time on your trip!:wave:

MillerPoppins

Original Poster
That is awesome! What are your dates? We will be there in March as well. I hope you plan on writing a report, I read your most recent one and enjoyed it so much. I'm so jealous of your solo trip! As much as I love my son and hubby I'd love to just one day go on my own, even if it were just for a short weekend! I'm excited for you!

Thank you! I'm really excited and can't wait! I'll be there the end of March! What about you?

Wow..great about the vouchers!! can't wait to read the trip report, what every New Jersyian needs about now is a few days down in sunny FLA.

Have a great time and greeting from Union NJ...10 minutes from the airport?? ACY?

Yes! All of NJ needs some sunshine and warm weather. Thank you and I really can't wait to write the report!

What a crazy story! Fairy something indeed! So happy for you that is wonderful. Can't wait for the TR!

Thank you! It really is crazy!

Okay, so I was totally feeling your stress as you stood at the counter trying to get your flight booked. Yay for surprise trips and pixie dust!

Thanks HollyBelle! Pixie Dust truly does exist.

Now there's some luck for you!! Sounds like you are definitely in need of a Disney vacation to lift your spirits. Hope you have a fantastically magical time!!! :)

I truly am in need for a mini vacation. As I'm writing this, I'm sick again. So that makes 4 times this winter. Absolutely ridiculous! :mad::brick:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom