1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Hurricane Survival Thread

Discussion in 'Weather' started by The Mom, Sep 12, 2004.

1. The Mom

The Mom Original Poster Moderator Premium Member

Maria, I've been thinking about you while watching the news. Take care, and let's hope there is less damage than last time. :(

2. Disnut

Disnut Member

Thanking of you Maria.

Depending on how it turns after ya'll we might get it here in TX. somewhere.

3. pinkrose

pinkrose Well-Known Member

Take care Marie!!!!

It sounds like you have it covered. I can't think of anything else (other than get plenty of chocolate :lookaroun ). I keep M&M's in my hurricane kit.

4. Maria

Maria New Member

That´s a good one! :slurp:
    I have frostred flakes... with milk or without it, they can be breakfast, lunch and dinner! hehe... :D

5. The Mom

It's that time of year again, so I thought I would bump this thread.

My local paper had a special insert yesterday, so I'll double check all of my supplies - I do use them and replace them, but I want to be sure.

My city has also updated its evacuation/flood map, and I see that I won't have to evacuate for anything less than a Cat 5. Sometimes, you don't have to go that far to be safe (comfortable is a different story) and I'll have to make sure that any new neighbors across the park, downhill from us, know they can walk up here if they have to evacuate - they're in a CAT 2 zone. They have flooded in the past in heavy prolonged rains.

So, it's time to check to make sure you have supplies, and a plan, if you live in an area that has ever been hit by a hurricane.

6. Spike-in-Berlin

Spike-in-Berlin Well-Known Member

Wow. This REALLY is the "threadresurrection-day" is it?
    By the way, in WDW you don't have to worry that much about hurricanes but much more about tornadoes instead. The area around Orlando is the local Tornado-Alley of the East Coast.

7. palmage

palmage Member

I'm coming to your house if it hits us.

8. The Mom

Hope you like cats. :lol:

9. Number_6

Number_6 Well-Known Member

We got to experience our first major storm readiness aboard our new boat. We moved aboard it last week and are currently in Warren, RI on the Warren River. We had been tied to a mooring, but the Harbor Master let us tie up on the public dock for the storm. We got ourselves all tied up, have our fenders out between the dock and the boat. Turns out, the storm passed so far to the south of us that we just got a little bit of wind and some rain. But it was interesting to have to learn what we would need to do if something worse were to come our way while we sail.

10. The Mom

My parents grew up in Warren, and are interred there, so I know exactly where you are located.

Do you know if they closed the hurricane barrier in Providence? My husband was curious.

11. Number_6

Number_6 Well-Known Member

Not sure if they did, but since we had stronger winds today than anything that Earl threw at us, I doubt it.

12. The Mom

Thought today might be a good time to revive this dead thread, what with Irene heading our way. :lol:

Reading reminded me that I need more bug spray! :eek:

13. Master Yoda

Master Yoda Pro Star Wars geek. Premium Member

With any luck Irene will take that typical right hand turn before it gets to North Florida. It will stink for the Carolina's but the surf will be great here for a few days.

14. disneygirl1

disneygirl1 Well-Known Member

They are expecting it to hit the area Thursday/Friday this week. We arrive next Wed 8/31. You think I should be worried. B/c I am now totally stressing over the weather at the moment! :shrug:

15. The Mom

That's several days after the storm, and as of now it's going to miss us. Even if it shifts back to the west, it still wouldn't have much of an impact on WDW. And any effects would be gone by the time you got there.

So stop stressing - you should be fine. :)

16. disneygirl1

disneygirl1 Well-Known Member

Thank you Thank you!!! After experiencing my 1st earthquake today I definitely don't need a hurricane thrown into the mix!!! :wave:

17. BigTxEars

BigTxEars Well-Known Member

Glad it turned for everyone going :)

18. miles1

miles1 Active Member

I'm glad for them too. Unfortunately its coming at me. Better start reading this thread.

19. Xethos

Xethos Member

What kind of things does Disney do in the parks do prepare for big storms? Im assuming they need to secure some things. At what point do they begin giving people the boot?

For some reason I always enjoyed a good storm when I was in the parks, i know the building are built to stand up to those types of storms so I always felt safe but I never went through a hurricane down there, been through a few up north though. IF they know a big storm is going to hit mid morning would they delay the opening of the parks?

20. Stellajack

Stellajack Lady Tremaine's School of Refinement drop-out

Wow, this gives me an eery feeling. My husband and I were at POR in June 2006 when "Tropical Storm Alberto!" crossed the state. We spent the entire day in the Rooster Lounge area reading while the winds whipped and the rain beat down. Florida thunderstorms are one thing, but a tropical storm is another! No way would you find me in the park during one of these.

As with most tropical storms and hurricanes, once they pass the weather is incredible. We just considered the storm day as our "resort day" on this trip. Looks like the season is starting early this year. Hope it's "bark is worse than it's bite".