Hurricane Survival Thread 2017 updates!

The Mom

Premium Member
Original Poster
Maria, I've been thinking about you while watching the news. Take care, and let's hope there is less damage than last time. :(

pinkrose

Take care Marie!!!!

It sounds like you have it covered. I can't think of anything else (other than get plenty of chocolate :lookaroun ). I keep M&M's in my hurricane kit.

Maria

Take care Marie!!!!

It sounds like you have it covered. I can't think of anything else (other than get plenty of chocolate :lookaroun ). I keep M&M's in my hurricane kit.

That´s a good one! :slurp:
I have frostred flakes... with milk or without it, they can be breakfast, lunch and dinner! hehe... :D

The Mom

Premium Member
Original Poster
It's that time of year again, so I thought I would bump this thread.

My local paper had a special insert yesterday, so I'll double check all of my supplies - I do use them and replace them, but I want to be sure.

My city has also updated its evacuation/flood map, and I see that I won't have to evacuate for anything less than a Cat 5. Sometimes, you don't have to go that far to be safe (comfortable is a different story) and I'll have to make sure that any new neighbors across the park, downhill from us, know they can walk up here if they have to evacuate - they're in a CAT 2 zone. They have flooded in the past in heavy prolonged rains.

So, it's time to check to make sure you have supplies, and a plan, if you live in an area that has ever been hit by a hurricane.

Spike-in-Berlin

It's that time of year again, so I thought I would bump this thread.

My local paper had a special insert yesterday, so I'll double check all of my supplies - I do use them and replace them, but I want to be sure.

My city has also updated its evacuation/flood map, and I see that I won't have to evacuate for anything less than a Cat 5. Sometimes, you don't have to go that far to be safe (comfortable is a different story) and I'll have to make sure that any new neighbors across the park, downhill from us, know they can walk up here if they have to evacuate - they're in a CAT 2 zone. They have flooded in the past in heavy prolonged rains.

So, it's time to check to make sure you have supplies, and a plan, if you live in an area that has ever been hit by a hurricane.

Wow. This REALLY is the "threadresurrection-day" is it?
By the way, in WDW you don't have to worry that much about hurricanes but much more about tornadoes instead. The area around Orlando is the local Tornado-Alley of the East Coast.

palmage

Hey folks....hurricane season begins today, so I thought I'd revive this thread.

The latest local survey shows that 83% of people have NO disaster plans whatsoever. It would take a minimum of 20 hours for those in the Jacksonville area who MUST evacuate to get out. These are the people living east of the intracoastal and in low lying areas; this would be for Cat 1-3 storms. Worse storms would increase the time needed. This also does NOT include evacuees from counties further south who might be using I-95.

So now is the time for anyone who could be in the path of a storm to read the official preparedness guides, stock up on supplies, and have a plan.

Even if your plan is to get out of the way, decide where and when. You don't want to be wandering aimlessly, or stuck in traffic, when the storm hits.
I'm coming to your house if it hits us.

Number_6

We got to experience our first major storm readiness aboard our new boat. We moved aboard it last week and are currently in Warren, RI on the Warren River. We had been tied to a mooring, but the Harbor Master let us tie up on the public dock for the storm. We got ourselves all tied up, have our fenders out between the dock and the boat. Turns out, the storm passed so far to the south of us that we just got a little bit of wind and some rain. But it was interesting to have to learn what we would need to do if something worse were to come our way while we sail.

The Mom

Premium Member
Original Poster
My parents grew up in Warren, and are interred there, so I know exactly where you are located.

Do you know if they closed the hurricane barrier in Providence? My husband was curious.

The Mom

Premium Member
Original Poster
Thought today might be a good time to revive this dead thread, what with Irene heading our way. :lol:

Reading reminded me that I need more bug spray! :eek:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
With any luck Irene will take that typical right hand turn before it gets to North Florida. It will stink for the Carolina's but the surf will be great here for a few days.

disneygirl1

They are expecting it to hit the area Thursday/Friday this week. We arrive next Wed 8/31. You think I should be worried. B/c I am now totally stressing over the weather at the moment! :shrug:

The Mom

Premium Member
Original Poster
They are expecting it to hit the area Thursday/Friday this week. We arrive next Wed 8/31. You think I should be worried. B/c I am now totally stressing over the weather at the moment! :shrug:

That's several days after the storm, and as of now it's going to miss us. Even if it shifts back to the west, it still wouldn't have much of an impact on WDW. And any effects would be gone by the time you got there.

So stop stressing - you should be fine. :)

disneygirl1

That's several days after the storm, and as of now it's going to miss us. Even if it shifts back to the west, it still wouldn't have much of an impact on WDW. And any effects would be gone by the time you got there.

So stop stressing - you should be fine. :)

Thank you Thank you!!! After experiencing my 1st earthquake today I definitely don't need a hurricane thrown into the mix!!! :wave:

Xethos

What kind of things does Disney do in the parks do prepare for big storms? Im assuming they need to secure some things. At what point do they begin giving people the boot?

For some reason I always enjoyed a good storm when I was in the parks, i know the building are built to stand up to those types of storms so I always felt safe but I never went through a hurricane down there, been through a few up north though. IF they know a big storm is going to hit mid morning would they delay the opening of the parks?

Stellajack

Premium Member
What kind of things does Disney do in the parks do prepare for big storms? Im assuming they need to secure some things. At what point do they begin giving people the boot?

For some reason I always enjoyed a good storm when I was in the parks, i know the building are built to stand up to those types of storms so I always felt safe but I never went through a hurricane down there, been through a few up north though. IF they know a big storm is going to hit mid morning would they delay the opening of the parks?

Wow, this gives me an eery feeling. My husband and I were at POR in June 2006 when "Tropical Storm Alberto!" crossed the state. We spent the entire day in the Rooster Lounge area reading while the winds whipped and the rain beat down. Florida thunderstorms are one thing, but a tropical storm is another! No way would you find me in the park during one of these.

As with most tropical storms and hurricanes, once they pass the weather is incredible. We just considered the storm day as our "resort day" on this trip. Looks like the season is starting early this year. Hope it's "bark is worse than it's bite".

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom