1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Hurricane Survival Thread 2017 updates!

Discussion in 'WDW Parks News, Rumors and Current Events' started by The Mom, Sep 12, 2004.

1. Me 'Earties

Me 'Earties Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate Premium Member

@monothingie didnt mention it, but his house (and mine on the other end of town from his) are in northern NJ, so no issue with gas supply

2. TsWade2

TsWade2 Active Member

I'm not from Florida, but I hope and prayed that everybody is safe from Hurricane Irma.

3. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Well-Known Member

Something I don't know the answer to but I'm sure @marni1971 does. What is the previous largest thing damaged from a Hurricane/Tropical Storm at WDW? I know roofing tiles/shingles happens, but has there ever been structural damage?

Tavernacle12 likes this.
  4. marni1971

marni1971 WDW History nut Premium Member

Not that I can think of off the top of my head but don't quote me. Remember everything on property of any merit is built to the EPCOT Code standard.

I just hope this weekend won't be the biggest test of the code.

5. Tavernacle12

Tavernacle12 Well-Known Member

Is there anything in the parks you believe may be in danger moreso than anything else? Or, at least, things that would be in danger without a terrible act of god?

6. Sped2424

Sped2424 Well-Known Member

It shouldn't this storm is not going to hit us harder than Charlie thankfully.

7. lazyboy97o

lazyboy97o Well-Known Member

Structurally (in regards to winds), the weakest designs would be those that are deemed Risk Category 1. These are structures that present the least risk to human life and examples are agricultural buildings, some temporary structures and some small storage structures. Even then it is not as though these structures are allowed to be weak.

Tavernacle12 likes this.
  8. Uncle Lupe

Uncle Lupe Well-Known Member

Only thing I can add living through without power for a while is having a head lamp. Find one that uses AAA batteries. Those seem to stay in stock longer than other battery sizes and are easier to find. Great to have hands free light right where you need to see.
    [​IMG]

Also freeze some milk jugs filled with water. Gallon sized blocks of ice will help keep you fridge cold for a while longer. If nothing else you'll have something cold to drink as it melts.

9. Ismael Flores

Ismael Flores Well-Known Member

I'm really hoping the winds don't damage the landscaping and element sof DAK. I think That park if hit with high winds could Turn I to a nightmare with trees and landscaping blowing everywhere

10. The Mom

The Mom Original Poster Moderator Premium Member

We have a couple - absolutely necessary for refilling the generator in the dark.

11. squeek

squeek Member

Not sure if these images have been posted yet. The water has been drained at Hollywood Studios.

Attached Files:

somagordon, CHOX, fractal and 3 others like this.
  12. Master Yoda

Master Yoda Pro Star Wars geek. Premium Member

The landscaping will be shredded at AK...no real way around it.

13. creathir

creathir Well-Known Member

That is actually in prep for the new Christmas decorations (putting a Christmas tree in the middle of echo lake), not really hurricane related.

14. TheGuyThatMakesSwords

TheGuyThatMakesSwords Well-Known Member

Hope this is appropriate....

In the event you are AT a WDW Resort Hotel, in this event? MANY CMs will be on the "Ride Out Crew".
    These folks will do their best to do the best they can do in the middle of a Hurricane. They are your friends. They are just honest people that can't make the Hurricane go away, re-open the parks, or perform general miracles. Folks on Ride Out Crews STAY in the Hotels, and sleep poorly. They will not leave until YOU are safe, cared for, and fed (as well as possible).

Please - if you get stuck in the middle of this? WDW is doing all it can. The most important thing to carry with you is your TEMPER. You will be frightened.... Please, do your best to NOT take this out on the Ride Out Folks :(. All they want to do is the best they CAN, in a difficult situation.

jangirl, somagordon, KC00 and 14 others like this.
  15. squeek

squeek Member

Well enjoy photos of an empty "pre christmas tree" echo lake!!

creathir likes this.
  16. ford91exploder

ford91exploder Resident Curmudgeon

THIS x1,000,000

17. ford91exploder

ford91exploder Resident Curmudgeon

Also if you are in a hotel room during the storm. CLOSE THE BLINDS,

Yes it may feel claustophobic but in the event wind driven debris breaks the glass it will help catch most of the pieces.

rreading, wendysmom and fractal like this.
  18. JudyHopps

JudyHopps Well-Known Member

If you have a weather radio, make sure it has fresh batteries and is set to work properly so that you can receive life saving warnings (especially at night!)
    The NWS says having a Weather Radio alert you to an approaching tornado or extreme hurricane winds, especially during the middle of the night or when the power goes out, has saved countless lives.

fractal likes this.
  19. Tonka's Skipper

Tonka's Skipper Well-Known Member

Reported, WDW is opening parking lots to all !st responder, repair and clean up crews trucks, trailer, supply trailers etc, heading to Florida as a staging area before they head out to their assignment areas.

Well done WDW.

20. Derrit

Derrit Well-Known Member

Does anyone know what the preparation's specifically for Animal Kingdom before a hurricane are?