1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Hurricane Survival Thread 2017 updates!

Discussion in 'WDW Parks News, Rumors and Current Events' started by The Mom, Sep 12, 2004.

1. lazyboy97o

lazyboy97o Well-Known Member

I didn’t mean to imply that anything beyond would be failure. Yes, there are safety factors that are included in a design but without testing there is no hard, demonstrated data. Physical tests are performed because expectations do not always match reality. Miami-Dade testing is rather rigorous and expensive. I doubt many manufacturers have ever tested beyond those limits as they represent the most extreme performance criteria.

ford91exploder likes this.
  2. Master Yoda

Master Yoda Pro Star Wars geek. Premium Member

I have yet to know one that didn't test to failure. It just does not get officially reported, but I can all but guarantee you they keep putting 3060 windows in front of the air cannon and upping the speed until a 2x4 makes it through.

If nothing else, it is seriously fun to watch.:)

21stamps and ford91exploder like this.
  3. TheGuyThatMakesSwords

TheGuyThatMakesSwords Well-Known Member

LOVE this - we have a Generac in MI - it has saved our butts 4-5 times in 10 years....
    But curious? A lot of FL has NO Nat Gas availability.... are you running YOUR Generac on Propane? One could - these are "duel fuel", and a big, filled tank of Propane beats scrounging for Gasoline :). Also FAR safer.

Worth noting - OUR Generac, like a car that gets driven about 3 weeks a year, is likely to outlive us. It just runs in weekly self test most times, and costs us about $200 per year in pro tuneups. Initial outlay, Unit+Labor, WAS about $7000. My dear wife and I, after several years, think this is the best $7000 we ever spent :).

larryz and ford91exploder like this.
  4. ford91exploder

ford91exploder Resident Curmudgeon

We have a Kohler 20RZ - Big genset that runs on a 4 cylinder ford engine, I also mounted ours on a trailer so it can be shared with family and friends. Very similar to this setup.

Some of the best money we have ever spent - when it's home wheels/axle/coupler removed for security and levelers on each corner support it.

5. Nubs70

Nubs70 Well-Known Member

Freeze a cup of water in freezer.

Place penny on top of frozen water.

Upon return, if penny is on bottom of cup and water is frozen, you know your electricity had gone out a d freezer contents are bad.

Throw out food.

dizowl, lisacat, FigmentFan3 and 6 others like this.
  6. Nubs70

Nubs70 Well-Known Member

Place all important documents in bags a place in dishwasher and latch shut.

Dishwasher is water tight storage.

7. ford91exploder

Ah I'm not the only person who does this trick i always have a tupperware tumbler with a penny on top in the freezers.

Also have UPS'es in home office which text me if power events occur but i like low tech backups which rely entirely on physics

Nubs70 likes this.
  8. ford91exploder

Thats a really good idea!

9. Corey P

Corey P Well-Known Member

I didn't see anyone post this.

Fill your bath tub(s) with water.

To late to do these things now but my set up is this.

7500 watts portable generator.
    I installed a 30 amp box that's wired into my breaker box. It is up to code with a lock out plate.
    30 gallons of gas and I have a 57 gallon propane tank for the outside grill. I use also for a fireplace too but that's not needed now.

Back feeding my breaker box allows me to have everything except AC, oven, cloths dryer. I have a heat pump water heater which runs on very little current so I'll even have hot water. The cloths dryer may work on low heat, haven't tried it?

I fill my bath tubs with water so I have many gallons for flushing or whatever other need I may have.

Other then that I'm all supplied up with food for about 10 days. I should have enough gas for 10 days of electric as well.

10. ford91exploder

Coffee peeps have a saying give me the coffee and no one gets hurt.

Reality is though if caffeine were discovered today it would be illegal as its a white alkaloid powder in its natural form...

11. Corey P

How much gas does that run through an hour? Is it gas or diesel?

12. ford91exploder

Clothes dryer will run on air dry cycle it will take hours but use little fuel low will probably use most of generator capacity and it will suck fuel like its going out of style not good when you have a fixed amount of fuel on hand.

One other thing id suggest for generator is a heavy chain or cable along with a stout lock and chain genset to something large and immovable like a tree or a concrete pilling. This will stop theft by opportunity.

The more determined theives Well a 12 gauge with 00 buck should stop even the most determined pump action best because the sound of racking a shell into the chamber will probably induce the immediate need for clean underwear and a equally urgent desire to leave the area.

lisacat likes this.
  13. ford91exploder

Propane burns 2.9 gal/hr at max load. Most of the time it burns about .6 GPH under normal load as we shut off all non essential loads

Propane is just about the ideal fuel for generators as its clean and does not go bad like gasoline and diesel (Diesel grows algae if left alone)

TheGuyThatMakesSwords likes this.
  14. Ratatouille

Ratatouille Active Member

15. Corey P

Have a 12 gauge. I have 4 shot think that's the right size for crowd control. Has some stopping power and a wider pattern then 00.

I can just pull the generator into the garage at night. The way I'm set up the generator is in front of my garage, short distance to break panel, deadens the sound in the house and I can bring it in and lock it up easily when not in use. No point in running it while everyone is a sleep. If it was really hot and humid I might run the generator all night but I'm not sure who is brave enough to run off with it. In general everyone has a rifle or shot gun around here.

16. raymusiccity

raymusiccity Well-Known Member

Just plug any timer into a spare outlet. It will always show you, to the minute, how long your power was out. :)

17. JohnD

JohnD Well-Known Member

I put #14 to use right now. Let the ice maker work for you. What happens when it fills up? It stops. Zip lock bag that ice so that the bin is empty and fills up again. Great tip!

18. ford91exploder

All natual disasters invite predators in from the outside those whose lifestyle is based on taking whats not theirs. These are the people you need to worry about not your neighbors.

During the big ice storm we had a few years ago there were many generator thefts largely by criminal elements from gangs based out of state along with a few home grown lowlifes.

But chaining down the gensets stopped most of the thefts as a 30 second heist was now a few minutes so the probability of getting caught went way up.

Chaining together fuel cans also a good idea.

larryz likes this.
  19. ford91exploder

We decided to make it mobile to an extent as we've had situations where we've been fine but wife's parents without power for a week. And also it allows us to provide power for outdoor events we participate in.

20. Me 'Earties

Me 'Earties Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate Premium Member

It's also nice not to be price gouged by contractors installing one, as they were doing after Sandy. Nice that family knows how to install one of these things...and be able to use a forklift to put it in place ;)