Hurricane Ian expected to impact Florida (updates and related discussions)

ppete1975

Seems dumb considering everyone else is holding out.
will be interesting how many cast members want to, or can get to work. Let alone the infrastructure to the roads. And I doubt they have surveyed all 4 parks completely yet. I would assume inside the park there will be tons of downed trees and limbs at the very least.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
A Cat 4 slamming into Florida seems to happen more often than once in a lifetime. In my lifetime, there have been 6 of them.

People in Tornado Alley can build shelters to crawl into. People who live in storm surge areas would drown in said shelters.

Which is why there aren't basements in Florida. They'd be indoor swimming pools.

Disorbust

Since most need the money I am sure they need to get back to work. Did Disney pay front line CMs for the past 2 days with the parks closed?

peter11435

will be interesting how many cast members want to, or can get to work. Let alone the infrastructure to the roads. And I doubt they have surveyed all 4 parks completely yet. I would assume inside the park there will be tons of downed trees and limbs at the very least.
There are plenty of teams inside the park that would already have surveyed the parks

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
The ride out crew assess damage in realtime, so Disney have access to reports very quickly.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
I am of the opinion people shouldn't live in Tornado alley...

As climate change worsens, these storms will only get worse. Florida, Tornado Alley... it's not gonna be good times.
People have to live somewhere. Every region has its own weather events. Tornadoes, hurricanes, earthquakes, tsunamis, ice storms, blizzards ….

flynnibus

Premium Member
Based on the hole in Jurassic Parks building, the flooded Hulk coaster, and hearing Velocicoaster is also flooded, I can't imagine UO opening tomorrow.

Based on 3 attractions that could easily be closed?

While the lagoons are overfull and impacting things that are actually in the lagoon... boats can be replaced by buses. And those attractions in the lagoon themselves can be closed.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Since most need the money I am sure they need to get back to work. Did Disney pay front line CMs for the past 2 days with the parks closed?

From UNITE HERE Local 737 -

"Everyone who loses hours because of the closure will be paid for their lost scheduled hours at their regular rate of pay.

Tipped workers will get their usual non-tipped PTO rate.

If you get deployed to a different job, you’ll be paid your rate or the job’s rate, whichever one is higher."

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
No, if you're smart, you have your hurricane kit prepared every June when the season starts. Water, non-perishable food, batteries, flashlights, etc. The state even gives you a tax-free week to buy supplies, including generators.

There are individuals who cannot evacuate, for many reasons. Or can't even get to shelters because they lack transportation. Was glad to hear local authorities were taking the homeless to shelters. I've never understood why those school buses couldn't be used to get those without transportation to shelters. The sight of school buses covered in water up to their roofs after Katrina was infuriating. They could have been used to get people out of the lower parishes.

I learned from this storm that shelters ask you to bring three days of food for your family as well, which makes sense but I'd never thought of that before. So there's a financial barrier potentially too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom