Hurricane Ian expected to impact Florida (updates and related discussions)

Disorbust

I'm very tempted to walk over to the Ocoee Waffle House and have a traditional Floridian post-Hurricane meal.

But we have plenty of food at home, and don't feel right potentially taking away someone else's meal who needs it.
Is it open my kids burned through most of the food they had.

Vegas Disney Fan

I'd suggest that if you don't have the means to evacuate, you shouldn't live in a potential storm surge zone.
Unfortunately the low areas tend to be the cheap areas because they are probe to flood.

I’m watching the news and they keep showing destroyed mobile home parks, another area likely to be full of people who can’t afford to evacuate.

I can’t imagine living in a mobile home in a hurricane area but if that’s all you can afford that’s all you can afford.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Except this was once in a lifetime event. If that's the rationale, people shouldn't live in Tornado Alley.
A Cat 4 slamming into Florida seems to happen more often than once in a lifetime. In my lifetime, there have been 6 of them.

People in Tornado Alley can build shelters to crawl into. People who live in storm surge areas would drown in said shelters.

ppete1975

After each hurricane hitting the state's capital since Kate in 1985, we've had discussions about burying power lines. But the cost is exorbitant and the City would have to pass the cost on to each utility customer...for several years. No one demanded their bill go up 5% to 10% every month to pay for it.
In tornado alley everything is above ground, although the ground doesnt make it hard to bury electrical (not shallow shale or anything). We have areas that yearly go down due to ice, or every few years from tornadoes and we always build back above ground. Ive always wondered the same thing. Since every year the same sections are without power or the poles kill someone when it falls on their car.

Disney Analyst

Yet a significant amount of food is grown in that part of the country.

Not really the place to discuss, but many ways to modernize farming, and remove people from dangerous locales.

At some point we have to decide, at what cost? Is it worth continuously rebuilding, or loss of life in those regions?

There are other solutions, but it would certainly take local, state, and federal assistance to get to that point.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Unfortunately the low areas tend to be the cheap areas because they are probe to flood.

I’m watching the news and they keep showing destroyed mobile home parks, another area likely to be full of people who can’t afford to evacuate.

I can’t imagine living in a mobile home in a hurricane area but if that’s all you can afford that’s all you can afford.

You'd be surprised the number of retirement communities that are comprised of mobile homes. No every retiree can afford The Villages.

Whoever said you don’t trust anything with the word “national“ in it. I have to give you credit for the below if this is how our national guard is dealing with the current situation. you ‘d think they figure out water levels

Attachments

• 3C348EDB-7457-4717-93E0-D16FB7432893.png
    3C348EDB-7457-4717-93E0-D16FB7432893.png
    440.5 KB · Views: 146

Vegas Disney Fan

I am of the opinion people shouldn't live in Tornado alley...

As climate change worsens, these storms will only get worse. Florida, Tornado Alley... it's not gonna be good times.

South is at risk to hurricanes, plains are at risk to tornadoes, southwest is at risk to drought, northeast is at risk to storms… we’re running out of places to live.

ppete1975

You see this on the news after every storm, “we survived (insert storm name) so we thought we’d be fine this time too”.

I think it’s human nature, the more times we do something the more comfortable we get with it.
I think you are right. The first time people heed the news and either get all the supplies and hunker down or leave. Then its a little wind or it moves direction and nothing happens. After a few times of hearing "you need to leave or you wont survive" and nothing happens or you lose a shingle. Its human nature to not worry and underestimate mother nature. People need to remember, that no matter how many times they get it wrong.. they only have to be right once, for it to be tragic.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom