How Much Longer Will Coke Dominate WDW?

Cmdr_Crimson

It's not like Pepsi Hasn't been in WDW.. Country Bear Jamboree was proud sponser of the attraction along with Frito Lay before their merger...

The other fact is from Mentalfloss...Henry’s line at the beginning of the show, “Just refrain from hibernating, and we’ll all enjoy the show. Because we got a lot to give,” was a nod to Pepsi’s old slogan, “You’ve got a lot to live. Pepsi’s got a lot to give.”
CountryBears-AA.jpg

DisAl

The real question is when will Coke use the same original formula still used in Mexico?
We buy "Mexican Cokes" by the case at one of the big box stores because it tastes like cokes did when I was a kid. The reason is the ones bottled in Mexico still use "real" sugar rather than corn syrup, and yes they do taste different.

graphite1326

Someone needs to ask -- so I will: when will WDW offer their guests a choice of fountain beverages? Not everybody likes Coke to the exclusion of all other soft drinks.
It's the only soft drink there is. The only one I drink. The only reason I go to WDW.

Cosmic Commando

If the expiration dates are a scam, then Coke believes it themselves. I have personally witnessed non-diet Sunkist bottles being thrown out because they were past their expiration date. Maybe they would have tasted 95% as good, but that's what Coke wanted. In case you were wondering, I was too shocked to ask if I could have it. I had no idea pop had an expiration date before that.

Bottled water is an amazing deal (although less so since NY started charging deposit). I can get 35 16.9 oz bottles of water at Wegmans for $2.99. I can't get more than a couple empty bottles at best for that price, but I can get 35 filled with filtered water for less than 9 cents each! Again, try getting an empty bottle at the store for 9 cents.

BigRedDad

Someone needs to ask -- so I will: when will WDW offer their guests a choice of fountain beverages? Not everybody likes Coke to the exclusion of all other soft drinks.
It all comes down to what another brand is willing to give to WDW for incentives. It is a captive audience. At a fountain machine, a 32oz drink only cost about $0.12. Disney charges maybe $4-$5 for it. Now, if Coke gets exclusivity and advertising, they only charge WDW $0.10 for that drink. Those deals are signed with exclusive rights. Most theme parks, restaurants, etc have signed exclusivity deals.

From Google I've found a few articles that suggest the Pepsi vs Coke market is divided not only regionally but also by age demo. Both are currently struggling with reaching millennials and the push for healthier drinks. Sales for both Pepsi and Coke have dropped in this age bracket although Pepsi has a slight edge over Coke in that group.

In America, Coke is dominate in the South. Pepsi the North and Midwest. Unsurprisingly a direct correlation between their political affiliation can be inferred based on the drink they enjoy most. Coke drinkers lean conservative. Pepsi drinkers more liberal. Brand wise, Coca-cola brand drinkers are more likely to have a college degree while Pepsi brand drinkers skew toward having only a high school degree although no info was given as to why that is. I think it's all really fascinating. Interesting to see how the coke wars change throughout the years. And here I was thinking it boiled down to personal preference.

In anycase, I'm a Dr. Pepper drinker. I think WDW needs DP! Doesn't Coca-Cola bottle that in the South? Why isn't that in the parks?

I like the idea behind Coca-Cola Freestyle machines but I don't think they have the sugar mix right or enough flavor options. I want Apple, Amaretto and Coconut to name a few. I don't think Coca-Cola is going anywhere in the parks, at least I hope it isn't. Club Cool is an enjoyable break in an otherwise hot and humid day.

Pepsi bottles DP in Florida.

Brewer

Pepsi is served in Shanghai Disney - was very surprised - assumed coke would be a worldwide contract for the parks. Not sure if any of the other Disney parks offer a Pepsi product.

MickeyMomV

Sorry, but, never in my pre-expiration date life time did I ever run across a "bad" Pepsi or Coke. Due to the carbonation it is sealed air tight and contains mostly water. Milk is a biological product and will deteriorate over time and spoil. Much more likely if it has been opened then not. Not the same type of thing. I cannot help what you think something tastes like. I have said now and I will state again... it is a crook. I buy Pepsi 12 cans at a time and take upwards to a year to finish them. No issue! I keep diet Coke for guests and have reached times exceeding 2 years with no problems. I once had a six pack of Beer that was in my fridge for 7 years and when finally used... had no problems with taste or spoilage. Some things like dairy and meat products will spoil. Most people don't even realize how long meat is allowed to age before it is served in restaurants or even butchered for sale as fresh meat. That process is part of what tenderizes it.
I can taste a bad can/bottle of Coke within one sip. It has nothing to do with the carbonation. Coke develops a strong syrupy taste just after expiration. Coke may have a week or two window that it is still ok to drink but after that it gets dumped. I can not speak to Diet Coke or Pepsi as I only drink them if I have no other beverage choice. Personally I would prefer water to Pepsi or Diet Coke.

Walt_Disney

Not sure if this is still the case but 15-20 years ago Coke provided Disney all the product for free in exchange for Coke advertising across all the parks.

danyoung56

That would make Coke one of the worst run businesses in the world. What business gives their product away to what is probably one of their largest customers?

The price of the product is peanuts compared to the advertising value. I can easily see a model where Coke was given to Disney for free. It would be the cheapest and most valuable advertising the Coca-cola company could ever imagine.

_caleb

I like the trend moving away from fountain drinks toward unique, themed treats. Things like LeFou's Brew, Mint Julep, Hawkes’ Grog ale, Night Blossom and Pandoran Sunrise, the American Dream in WS, Red's Apple Freeze (DCA) are more fun and really match the experience. I'm sure they will always serve Coke, but these are more fun, in my opinion.

I'm sure Disney agrees, as they can charge $12 each for these fun drinks.

ninjaprincesst

Not likely. Pepsi's tried to make a bid to enter the parks but Disney has a such a good deal with CC that they wouldn't jeopardize that discount bringing in a competing product. Disney could completely switch out and be strictly Pepsi. I think they're the official soda in Shanghai Disneyland. But that would be a poor deal seeing as how Coca-Cola outsells Pepsi 5-1. Disney would be fighting against consumer preference. In the end both the Cola deal and the customer wins out.

If it wasn't for Mountain Dew, PepsiCo wouldn't even have a voice in the market. That said I do wish Pepsi products were sold in the parks not because of Pepsi the drink but because they have a good sub-brand in Mountain Dew. I find it telling the Coca-Cola tried to purchase Mountain Dew a few years ago. They want that 80% citrus-soda market. Mountain Dew is a game changer.

Disney might be willing to go all in on Pepsi products with the conditional that they can still sell Coca-Cola and Diet Coke. But in the end it costs money to have both. Coca-Cola will win out every time. I don't see why Disney would want to spend more money to add new soft drink options. It's the same issue with Dr. Pepper.
It is even worse for those of us that hate coke and Pepsi, and coke is so dominate they won't even let them have Dr. Pepper which is so ridiculous considering Dr. Pepper is the preferred beverage for most Texans, I wish they would switch to Pepsi just so we could have Dr. Pepper and something to drink.

ninjaprincesst

The question should be "how much longer will Disney realize that some people don't like soda and would prefer something else."

I know there's Dasani but I don't drink that.
Um most people like soda that just don't like all coke, I can't think of any other beverage people would want other than decent brewed not bottled ice tea. Fruit juices and energy drinks just make you thirstier than you were before, and juice with food is just nasty.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom