How Much Longer Will Coke Dominate WDW?

cheezbat

I wish they weren't so tight on what they sold. I prefer Pepsi to Coke, and my go-to is always Mountain Dew, but if you're gonna sell Coke, give us more of their products options. I HATE that all they offer in the parks is Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, and an Orange soda. Such limited options. I happen to dislike all of them. Why no Surge? Or Root Beer? Dr Pepper/Mr Pibb?

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I would enjoy reading those statistics. One that does not include fountain/captive audience sales. In our area Pepsi is king and it is what I prefer but you have to have Coke with your Capt. Morgan so, I drink both.
I think the bigger question is how much longer will cola dominate over non carbonated options in the theme parks? Coca Cola does have Smartwater, Dasani, PowerAde and Vitaminwater. Those are the brands they need to promote as that is the growth sector of the drink business.
My DD read this too. A degree in mathematics and statistics. Funny numbers. All in how it is compiled and Disney has always been the master of spin.

Mickey5150

I wish they weren't so tight on what they sold. I prefer Pepsi to Coke, and my go-to is always Mountain Dew, but if you're gonna sell Coke, give us more of their products options. I HATE that all they offer in the parks is Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, and an Orange soda. Such limited options. I happen to dislike all of them. Why no Surge? Or Root Beer? Dr Pepper/Mr Pibb?
I totally agree. Why can't I find Beverly outside of Club Cool?

Patcheslee

No DP/Mr Pibb?! Looks like I'll have alot of Sprite in a couple weeks, and trip to the nearest gas station. I personally can't stand the taste of Coke or Pepsi, but that's very few options for such a diverse tourist demographic. Versus how many types of alcohol are served around the Disney???

MinnieWaffles

Yes! I wish there were more non-fizzy options for resort mugs, I get sick of Coke all the time and too much makes my stomach unhappy. Plus I don't want Coke with breakfast!!

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
And that dated stuff on a sealed can is a huge crock of crap.

Actually... in a few cases, the expiration date is quite valid and mandated by state law, such as with milk (at least for NY and NJ, that I'm familiar with). Or would you open a gallon of milk a few months past expiration date?

Otherwise the majority of expiration dates are not legally mandated and are there because the producer/manufacturer wants it there. And, let's be clear, it's not a scam to clear the shelves, because in most cases, the producer sees no income from unsold cans that are discarded because they're past the expiration date. The producer puts it there because they don't want stale food being sold that would ruin their reputation. Even if the food in question is free from any bacteria that would make it 'go bad', food has a limited shelf-life before the ingredients start separating and decomposing.

I don't know about Pepsi. But if a can of Diet Coke is a few months past expiration, it almost always tastes bad.

FutureCEO

The question should be "how much longer will Disney realize that some people don't like soda and would prefer something else."

I know there's Dasani but I don't drink that.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Original Poster
Actually... in a few cases, the expiration date is quite valid and mandated by state law, such as with milk (at least for NY and NJ, that I'm familiar with). Or would you open a gallon of milk a few months past expiration date?

Otherwise the majority of expiration dates are not legally mandated and are there because the producer/manufacturer wants it there. And, let's be clear, it's not a scam to clear the shelves, because in most cases, the producer sees no income from unsold cans that are discarded because they're past the expiration date. The producer puts it there because they don't want stale food being sold that would ruin their reputation. Even if the food in question is free from any bacteria that would make it 'go bad', food has a limited shelf-life before the ingredients start separating and decomposing.

I don't know about Pepsi. But if a can of Diet Coke is a few months past expiration, it almost always tastes bad.
IIRC, aspartame and some of the other artificial sweeteners break down over time, losing their sweetness. Real sugar, however, doesn't, but over a long time, the acids in colas can and do breach the can linings and interact with the aluminum. I wouldn't attempt a soda more than a month or two out of the "best by" window.

Chef Mickey

The question should be "how much longer will Disney realize that some people don't like soda and would prefer something else."

I know there's Dasani but I don't drink that.
Look around...people still LOVE soda. There is some segment that is declining, but Americans still love their sugary drinks.

Goofyernmost

Sorry, but, never in my pre-expiration date life time did I ever run across a "bad" Pepsi or Coke. Due to the carbonation it is sealed air tight and contains mostly water. Milk is a biological product and will deteriorate over time and spoil. Much more likely if it has been opened then not. Not the same type of thing. I cannot help what you think something tastes like. I have said now and I will state again... it is a crook. I buy Pepsi 12 cans at a time and take upwards to a year to finish them. No issue! I keep diet Coke for guests and have reached times exceeding 2 years with no problems. I once had a six pack of Beer that was in my fridge for 7 years and when finally used... had no problems with taste or spoilage. Some things like dairy and meat products will spoil. Most people don't even realize how long meat is allowed to age before it is served in restaurants or even butchered for sale as fresh meat. That process is part of what tenderizes it.

Goofyernmost

Coke would give away the Coke to Disney before they'd lose the deal at WDW.
That would make Coke one of the worst run businesses in the world. What business gives their product away to what is probably one of their largest customers? Greatly reduced prices based on quantity? Sure! But, no one stays in business by giving away huge portions of their product for no reason other then to have it seen. Especially since Coke is probably more recognizable then Disney on a world wide basis.

Chef Mickey

That would make Coke one of the worst run businesses in the world. What business gives their product away to what is probably one of their largest customers? Greatly reduced prices based on quantity? Sure! But, no one stays in business by giving away huge portions of their product for no reason other then to have it seen. Especially since Coke is probably more recognizable then Disney on a world wide basis.
"Give away" was facetious as I meant "practically give away." They probably already do give them an insane deal, maybe even break even. Companies do low to no margin all the time with giant customers. My company (bigger than Disney) signs billion(s) dollar deals all the time where we literally make no profit. We do it for other reasons.

Coke wants to be associated with all things happy. Even if they "gave" the Coke to Disney, I think it'd be almost worth it from a marketing perspective. People drink it there for a week, drink it at home for a lifetime.

Goofyernmost

"Give away" was facetious as I meant "practically give away." They probably already do give them an insane deal, maybe even break even. Companies do low to no margin all the time with giant customers. My company (bigger than Disney) signs billion(s) dollar deals all the time where we literally make no profit. We do it for other reasons.

Coke wants to be associated with all things happy. Even if they "gave" the Coke to Disney, I think it'd be almost worth it from a marketing perspective. People drink it there for a week, drink it at home for a lifetime.
I'm sure it is, by comparison an insane deal, but, rest assured they are still making a profit from it otherwise, why bother, most people have at least experienced Coke so it's not to build a new exposure and even as an advertising scheme, what would be gained by selling at a loss. Maybe an upstart company, but not Coca Cola. If you have eaten in a restaurant the chances are very good that you have already had Coke... nothing new to be established there. I don't know what the deal is, but, I do know that not making money on a product you sell, will not be a place that does business for very long.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom