How bad is the Wilderness Lodge construction?

Not saying you are wrong, but do we know that for certain, as somewhere else there was a comment that it will be table service. I've read it both ways. I was thinking QS too, similar to the new bar & grill at the Poly, but the building at WL looks too big?

The standard response at the resort when asking CMs is that the new building will be a food, beverage, and recreation facility.

bunnyman

I am here now and have been here since Saturday. Construction noise isn't really noticeable; they don't start until 9am and as I sit in room now at 4:46 they are done for the day. Have a sixth floor courtyard view, and you can still see right through the other wing, but looks like all drywall studs are up and they've started sheet rocking the rooms on higher floors closest to the lobby. Bungalows closest to DVC building are taking shape, but the other side looks just like they've set conduits for electric service and plumbing. No concrete slabs poured on that side yet. Workers swarming all over their new food and rec buildings the past few days.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Stayed in a DVC studio in February...construction didn't bother me. Will be staying in a one bedroom at the end of September, not worried.

Just made two more WL villa reservations for 2017. Yes, the wing nearest the DVC villas is still in renovations to be converted to DVC studios. @TINKWINGS, you can reserve a DVC room if you're not a DVC member. Not that I want to rehash this, but from what I was told, the room demand at WL was more for the DVC villas than the cash rooms...and WL is the 2nd smallest of all the DVC resorts, occupancy wise; GF villas is the smallest.

I realize that many guests are disappointed about the lack of woods at WL. Me, I was excited about the outstanding view I now had of Bay Lake and the island from my room. Most likely, Disney will replant Southern Pines...they grow fast. Don't sweat it, you currently get a discount at a MK resort during the construction. Adding another QS to the resort is a plus, Roaring Forks is very small...they will need more restaurant space when the new cabins open. I'm waiting for Disney to release drawings of the new cabins.

Rogue21

Don't sweat it, you currently get a discount at a MK resort during the construction.

OK, I've seen a reference to discounts during the construction . . . is this due to the Summer, early Fall discounts already out? Or is this specific to the WL and the ongoing construction?

LAKid53

Premium Member
OK, I've seen a reference to discounts during the construction . . . is this due to the Summer, early Fall discounts already out? Or is this specific to the WL and the ongoing construction?

I believe they've lowered the overall rack rate due to construction. One could try to definitively confirm by looking at last year's rates, but Disney always increases their resort rate from year to year. Currently a standard view room is $289 a night. That's not the discount price for either AP or Florida residents that are running through November 5th. Could be the back to school discount, but Disney doesn't make it easy to verify. The late summer to fall discount starts August 26th. So I'm going to assume the $289 is full rack rate. Which is cheap for WL. Mousesavers indicates that for regular season, the full rack rate is $395, tax included, for a standard view room. They also show historical discounts, but not individual room rates.

The only way to confirm this would be to call the resort, but I doubt they will tell you. However, it would be prudent and good business practice to reduce full rack rates by 10-15% at a resort that is undergoing renovations on this scale - one entire wing is being converted to DVC studios, a pool has been removed, along with a significant portion of the landscaping, access to areas of the resort are restricted, etc. If I remember, didn't they do something similar with discounted rooms at Poly during the conversion of 3 long houses to DVC, since it also involved major renovations to main building and pool?

mgpan

I believe they've lowered the overall rack rate due to construction. One could try to definitively confirm by looking at last year's rates, but Disney always increases their resort rate from year to year. Currently a standard view room is $289 a night. That's not the discount price for either AP or Florida residents that are running through November 5th. Could be the back to school discount, but Disney doesn't make it easy to verify. The late summer to fall discount starts August 26th. So I'm going to assume the $289 is full rack rate. Which is cheap for WL. Mousesavers indicates that for regular season, the full rack rate is $395, tax included, for a standard view room. They also show historical discounts, but not individual room rates.

The only way to confirm this would be to call the resort, but I doubt they will tell you. However, it would be prudent and good business practice to reduce full rack rates by 10-15% at a resort that is undergoing renovations on this scale - one entire wing is being converted to DVC studios, a pool has been removed, along with a significant portion of the landscaping, access to areas of the resort are restricted, etc. If I remember, didn't they do something similar with discounted rooms at Poly during the conversion of 3 long houses to DVC, since it also involved major renovations to main building and pool?

Is this the standard rate from the website? I'm getting $397 as standard view rate for middle of Oct 2016. $289 would be great in comparison.

Foltzy

I was staying for the past week and construction wasn't really noticeable. We got a lagoon view on the northern side of the resort for standard price. The construction took all trees away but we had nothing in our way of the lagoon and fireworks. We also got three pins because of it. image.jpeg

Half the resort is closed because of the construction but it's not really noticeable in the lobby. In fact, I didn't notice it until our last day. The only noticeable thing in the lobby is walls around an elevator bay in the corner. It is totally worth it for the discounted price.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Is this the standard rate from the website? I'm getting $397 as standard view rate for middle of Oct 2016. $289 would be great in comparison.

I was looking at rates for this month. But that's quite a swing.

bunnyman

Is there a generally agreed upon timeline for project completion? Deciding between AKL and WL for January.

Staff at the WL is playing it pretty close to the vest, most likely due to legal reasons associated with timeshare sales. Although one friendly bartender at the lodge gave a vague "by next summer".

jenos0524

I was looking at rates for this month. But that's quite a swing.

FYI: I am going to be there for 10 days next week and I paid $266 a night for a courtyard view. I think when I originally booked it was around $320 a night for a standard room. (I did use The Awaken Summer deal the first day it came out)

jenos0524

Is there a generally agreed upon timeline for project completion? Deciding between AKL and WL for January.

If you want to be close to MK go with WL, If that isn't a priority then go with AKL (I loved AKL and would have stayed there again, but this is my daughters first trip and I wanted to be closer to MK, without paying the Poly/Cont./GF prices)

fiftiesdean

We stayed in 5008 this weekend. I don't like that they took the trees out, the WL always felt secluded, not so much anymore. The upside is, we could see Wishes just fine from our balcony. Needless to say, it's still our favorite resort and we're going back next month. As for construction noise, there was none, but we were there on the weekend.

Boat ride back to WL from MK
View media item 1395
Rooms blocked out above registration/concierge
View media item 1396
Panorama from Room 5008
View media item 1398

CaptainAmerica

If you want to be close to MK go with WL, If that isn't a priority then go with AKL (I loved AKL and would have stayed there again, but this is my daughters first trip and I wanted to be closer to MK, without paying the Poly/Cont./GF prices)
I've been to both several times and love them both. We were at AKL more recently so we'd go with WL if not for the construction, but I think we'll stick with AKL.

ToTBellHop

Staff at the WL is playing it pretty close to the vest, most likely due to legal reasons associated with timeshare sales. Although one friendly bartender at the lodge gave a vague "by next summer".
The new pool complex will certainly be done by then.

worldfanatic

The trees surrounding Wilderness Lodge are a huge part of it's amazing theme & atmosphere, but I'm not worried yet.
I'm confident Disney knows how important they are and will replant heavily.
And as someone noted, those pines grow extremely fast.

Other than sleeping at the lodge and using the pool, just how much time do you spend at the lodge when you came to visit the World?
I'm always annoyed when when I read an apparent Park Commando say this, and it gets said a lot.
The reason I stay at great WDW Resorts is because I intend to spend a lot of time at them......and that's exactly what I do.
Amazing Disney Hotels are every bit a part of "The World" for me as the Theme Parks.

Jon81uk

The trees surrounding Wilderness Lodge are a huge part of it's amazing theme & atmosphere, but I'm not worried yet.
I'm confident Disney knows how important they are and will replant heavily.
And as someone noted, those pines grow extremely fast
They have planted some new trees close to the monorail area http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...eek-villas-cabins.897594/page-43#post-7324344

The new pool complex will certainly be done by then.

Looking at how long it took the Polynesian to finish the new quiet pool, don't be too optimistic :)

Last edited:

jenos0524

I'm always annoyed when when I read an apparent Park Commando say this, and it gets said a lot.
The reason I stay at great WDW Resorts is because I intend to spend a lot of time at them......and that's exactly what I do.
Amazing Disney Hotels are every bit a part of "The World" for me as the Theme Parks.

This is why I always like to book at Deluxe vs Value/Moderate. Even if i do go to the parks all day, i love them I am going home to a beautiful resort, with great views/amenities/pools etc...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom